Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liv_2_clean

Looking for ideas on how to DIY make a home cleaning caddy that o

Liv-2-Clean
9 years ago

I have alot of Fatigue illnesses so instead of running to the laundry room for the broom and mop - then to the bathroom under sink supplies then to the... for this & that, etc. I would like to make something similar to this but also being able to hold my broom, dust mop, etc:
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-1867533-Executive-Series/dp/B00EYQWWCA/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1417348925&sr=1-11&keywords=cleaning+cart

Any ideas??? Help a country house to keep up with cleaning - which is daily for a very sick , low energy, fever of 5 months from Epstein Barre Virus & diagnosed with PIDD, a children's disease where your immune system doesn't develop past that of a toddler. I need things broken down and simplified, hopefully something with wheels. My husband is a very good construction/handyman. But I'd like to just email him an idea and he can run with it.
Thank you very much, sorry for the back story but I thought it might help in painting my picture.

Comments (9)

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

You might look at some of the commercial ways they clean. Here at the assist. living home, everything is on a card, except the mop/water. It is a double layer cart with heavy duty wheels that turn. I think the cleaning people in motels/hotels use them too. They are quite expensive, but I thing your husband could build one. Also you could evaluate your cleaning supplies. Most are duel purpose and will cover several areas, expect for the bathroom.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

For $32, it seemed like a good deal, but then I realized you are only getting the bags around the sides, not the 44 gallon plastic can with wheels.

I like the one by Brute in the link below better, but it's going to run you $150 for the can, dolly and surround. I can't think of a way to make one on your own. Maybe start with a large piece of wheeled luggage - they always seem to have them at Goodwill. Or a four wheel utility cart from Home Depot for $22:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brute version

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Rolling garden cart ... clip the brooms and dust mop to the sides, fasten a wastebasket to the bottom shelf and your basket of cleaning rags and spray bottles to the top rack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling garden tool rack

• camlan
    9 years ago

A fully loaded cart is going to be heavy, if it is stocked with all your cleaning supplies. And you will have to store the cart somewhere and then push or pull it to where you need to clean.

My suggestion would be to store your cleaning supplies as much as possible where you use them.

So, a set of cleaners, sponges, wipes, paper towels, etc. in each bathroom. A second set in the kitchen. Plus the required broom/mop to clean the floor in each room. If you have something else that needs frequent cleaning, say a glass top coffee table in the living room, store glass cleaner and a roll of paper towels in the living room.

If your house has two floors, a vacuum cleaner for each floor. Store brooms all or most of the rooms where you use them. Or get a Dustbuster-type thing for several rooms, so there is always one nearby when you need one.

Basically, my suggestion is the opposite of what you are looking for. Instead of gathering all the cleaning supplies in one place and dragging them all with you every time you clean something, I'd have you walk in to a room and open a cabinet and have all the cleaning supplies for that room right there. Much less work overall.

For example, you could store dusters, dusting spray (if you use it), paper towels, and glass cleaner in your living room in a cabinet, closet or cute basket. The vacuum could live in a closet in the hallway right outside the living room. The dining room would have a second set of dusters, towels, and cleaners, and share the same vacuum.

Each bedroom could have a Dustbuster, dusters, glass cleaner and paper towels neatly stashed away.

All this would take up a bit of storage space, but it sounds as if your energy levels are more important than space in your case.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Camlan has a good idea ... maybe duplicate the fixture-cleaning stuff in the bathrooms and kitchen and have a "dustbusting" caddy for the other rooms.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Look into the aprons that the Clean Team uses. They use only two solutions, so not a lot of bottles to carry.

And then for stuff like brooms, etc., find something really lightweight, and stash them near where you're working.

Like a Swiffer and Sh-Mop, which are lightweight.

I use the Sh-Mop with many terrycloth heads and a squirt bottle; I squirt, then wipe down w/ a terrycloth head, and change the head frequently. I only use each head a little while, so I'm not smearing the same dirt over the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sh-Mop

• marilaffi
    9 years ago

There is a utility cart that has three wire baskets on wheels. You can buy them at Dollar Stores, Kmart or Walmart. It is very handy. I have mine which I wheel it room by room. I fill it with swiffer and different bottles of cleaning supplies, rags, etc.Everything I need for cleaning, except mop and broom. They have side handles, so I hang there a plastic bag for trashing anything while I clean.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

You can make your own caddy. Simply get stackable wire racks and get a stroller for bags. Get a decent Stack then attach them into the stroller. You can either just tie them up with zip ties or drill then bolt em. That should cost around 1$5-$20 depending on the wire racks you get.