Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyto6

Garage organization question

Grammyto6
9 years ago

My husband is a handyman as a hobby (a very good handyman!) and he does every kind of work there is. This means he has multiples of every type of tool there is (both carpentry and auto) and every type and size of hardware (nails, screws staples etc) that exist. I used to be impressed with how he knew where everything was (in his obvious state of chaos) but since being married I have found that his secret is that he just has so many of anything that he just gets lucky and finds the tool he needs.
We have made several attempts but it's just so daunting a task that we last for a few days then give up. Then it's worse because he just drags everything back out and when we work up the nerve to tackle it again we just are re-doing what was already done.
This should not be taken as a post that I am bashing my hubby. I respect his talents so much! And I love a good organizing challenge
I am pretty good at having a brain that can handle organizing into categories and he loves it but he just has so much in each category that I can't get a system that works for us.
How do you suggest I organize this?

Comments (14)

• emma
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my, I would never even think about moving anything in the garage when my husband was living. It was his second home and not sure if it wasn't his 1st in his mind. It was not organized but he knew where everything was. I think his first wife gave him a lot of trouble because of that because and before we got got married he made a deal with me. He said, "the house is yours to do with as you please, the garage is mine". LOL It worked for us. I have to give him credit, he wiped his tools down if he did greasy work and had nice tool boxes to put the small things in.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

Get a good sized tool chest.
    Have a labeled drawer for every type of tool.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Don't mess with a man's garage.

Unless he's asking for your help, take your need for a "challenge" elsewhere.

^^ Good marriage advice.

• camlan
    9 years ago

I agree with pprioroh, unless he wants to be organized, or there is some other reason, like you want to be able to fit a car in the garage, then I'd let this go.

But if he's up for it, I'd make a plan.

First, plan the time. An hour a day? Fifteen minutes a day? Anything is fine, but make sure that there is at least a weekly appointment with the garage and organizing.

Second, be prepared for more mess in the short term.

Third, start by gathering like things together. Have boxes or bins or table or shelf space available. I'd start with broad categories first. All the power tools in one place. All the hand tools in another place. All the screws and nails in a different place. Label the places, so that he can still find a hammer in all the chaos.

Then pick one broad category and sort the stuff in there. Take hand tools. All the hammers here. All the screwdrivers there. All the chisels here. The sander thingies there.

Then have him count the number of hammers he has. Let's say he has 6. Does he *need* all 6? Have him lay them out in a row, from the absolute must keep to the possibly could get rid of to the don't need/broken/too worn out to use. He might be able to pare down to three-- a claw hammer, a ball peen hammer and a small one for tight spaces.

As you sort and finalize each sub-catagory, put the items in a labeled bin or box or on a labeled shelf, so they can be found.

Once you have sorted through everything, then you will know how much storage space you really need. If he doesn't already have a good work table, get one. A large rolling tool chest for the hand tools. A cabinet on the wall for screws and nails and tape and "stuff." Some shelves for large and awkward power tools. He might like to keep the tools he uses most often right at hand. Pegboard over the work bench would be ideal.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Grammyto6 wrote:

"We have made several attempts but it's just so daunting a task that we last for a few days then give up."

So I'm going to assume that her DH is willing, and is relying on her expertise to help him with his.

I'd suggest rejecting the "like things together" concept, if by "like things" you mean "all hand tools" or "all hammers" or "all pliers-type things.

Instead, I think he should divide his workspace/storage space into types of activities.

So: plumbing / woodworking / electrical / odd-job repairs / painting & prep
    (those are the 5 that I think of, but maybe he has different things he does, or maybe "painting" and "prep" should be different--in our house, they are, bcs we don't paint until after we prep, and we don't want those tools/supplies at the same time)

Idea being, when he has plumbing work to do, he stands here; when he has woodworking to do, he stand there.
    And wherever he's standing, he has within his reach all the tools for -that- job. Almost as if he's inside a dedicated room.

That means there will be some duplicate tools--but it sounds like he has them already, so no biggie.

Maybe even have dedicated sections of a workbench, or dedicated workbenches, depending on what type of space you have.
    Heck, take his single workbench, and paint it into three sections, color coding everything . Color code the tool storage, and even the tips of the handles. Into whatever broad categories that work for him.

Then, which is his best way to store them?
    Remember that one organizing credo is to make the "putting way" easy, even if it means the "getting out" is more complicated.

The problem right now is that he doesn't put things back into whatever storage solution you've come up with. So stop asking him to.

Maybe he should just have a big box at each "workstation," and he can chuck his stuff from each job into that box. Since it's all the plumbing stuff together, he doesn't have to worry that his plumbing wrenches will be over in the woodworking box, or vice versa.
    And he has only one place to look for his plumbing stuff: in the box. Sure, he may need to rummage around for it, but that's OK--he'll find it. And it won't cost as much time.

And, let's say some of the stuff is "supplies" (instead of tools), like electrical tape, plumber's putty, screws & nails, etc. So, put those things in smaller boxes inside the big box, so they don't get damaged and they're easier to find. Or, make a shelf on the back wall of the big box, or above the big box, to hold medium or small stuff.
    Maybe even get some small cases w/ handles to put that loose stuff in (I fit all the nails & screws anybody needs for handyman repair into a small case like this, using Altoids tins that stand on their sides and are labeled on the edge).
    http://www.amazon.com/Z711-Durable-Storage-Case/dp/B005NI4QRM/ref=sr_1_13?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1414970776&sr=1-13&keywords=small+metal+case

So if you have that kind of case for all the supplies for electrical work, you can carry the whole case to the job, get out what you need, chuck it back into the case, and carry the case back to the box. Sure, you'll have brought stuff you didn't need, but you were only carrying one object--the case.

And maybe woodworking is all done in the garage and doesn't move around, so it has its own fasteners that stay there (and a case like the one I showed travels w/ him for plumbing, or for electrical, or for odd-job repairs).

Again--even if it's a duplicate. Because the point is to save him time and to make the doing of these hobby activities more enjoyable.

In a way, this is just a variation on what's happening now, which is all his tools and supplies jumbled together, and he just dumps them down--but this adds one basic divider, which exists from start to finish. It's almost as if "the garage" gets narrowed down to a subset each time, and he never really enters "the larger, generic garage." He's always going to "the plumbing garage," or whatever.

And if you dip the ends of the plumbing tools in blue paint (or blue nail polish), then anybody else will know to put the blue hammer/wrench/whatever into the blue box. And the color coding might keep him honest, so he'll be more likely to put the tools back into the proper box.

Just be sure those boxes are easy to get to!

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Another thought:

you wrote:

" he just has so much in each category that I can't get a system that works for us. "

If it's "so much plumbing" (vs. "so much wrenches"), what about having a tier system w/ the boxes?

(I'm going to use "plumbing" as the sample category.)

So, two boxes; one for "most commonly used plumbing stuff" and one for "the plumbing stuff I don't use that often."

So one tub of plumber's putty goes in the main box; the extra tubs he accidentally has go in the "spares and seldom used" box.

The boxes go next to each other (important).

When he's putting plumbing stuff away, he can sort easily by just chucking stuff in the relevant box.
    Or, when he's digging stuff -OUT- to take care of a leak, he can say, "this annoying wrench that's blocking my view, I don't use it often, I'll move it over here to the 2nd box."

It doesn't matter; it just means that he's got a 2nd, less-frequently-accessed box available to him.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Here's another reason I'm suggesting the "chuck it in the Project Type box" as a solution:

It's fast to implement. You get some boxes--any kind, for now--and you clear off the workbench and tool storage you've got now by sorting INTO them.

Pick up a hammer: woodworking, odd jobs, plumbing, electrical? He decides. You chuck it in the box. You're done, never to sort that hammer again.

One movement, instead of "all the hammers over here, now decide how to store the hammers, now put the hammers in the storage."

The most you might do is re-sort the Plumbing box into high-priority and low-priority/spares.
    Or, later you decide you need shallower/sturdier boxes, so you swap them out--but again, that's fast.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

it's just so daunting a task that we last for a few days then give up. Then it's worse because he just drags everything back out and when we work up the nerve to tackle it again we just are re-doing what was already done.

Organizing is a process, not something that is ever "done". The Shaker motto is: "A place for everything, and everything in its place" ... you need to start by making a place for everything, even if it's temporary, so that you don't backslide too badly.

ORGANIZING METHODS: There are two basic ways to handle tools ... each has its strong and weak points. Which would suit him better? Discuss this with him, because having a system that works the way he works is critical to his maintaining it.

1 - Group by function, so all wrenches are hung together, all hammers, etc.

Advantage - Fewer duplicates.
    Disadvantage - Have to pick tools to take to the job if you can't bring the job to the bench, have to put tools back at least weekly, or it all falls apart.

WORKS BEST FOR naturally organized person, a "handyman" who works in a single area, one who has wall space to make it all visible. Pegboard and hooks would make this work. BIG pegboards.

2 - Sort tools into labelled, task-specific toolboxes so the "plumbing" box has the pipe wrenches, the washers, etc. The "wood work" box has the rasps, the wood chisels, etc. (a variant of this would be to have different workbenches or drawers or pegboards, each with the tools for that task)

Advantage - Faster to pick and store. If you are working on a faucet, you grab the "plumbing" box and it has the pipe tape, the washers, the wrenches, the valve-puller, the fittings, and the commonly used screwdrivers for faucets. At the end of the repair, you replace the used supplies, put it all back in the box and put the box on the shelf.

Disadvantage - Duplicate tools needed, usually the common types.

You can get around the duplicates by having one box of the generic tools: screwdrivers, common wrenches, a good hammer, etc. It means grabbing two boxes for any job - the generic tools and the specialty box.

WORKS BEST FOR "handyman" who works in several locations and can't take the work to the workshop. I got used to this working on rental properties. Also works well for the person who finds the first method to be too "nit-picky" ... just dumping it all into the box may be enough organization for them.

=======================
    It may make sense for any power tool to have its own toolbox with its blades or bits, chuck key and extension cord, and ear and eye protection, etc.

When I grab the "multi-tool'" box, I get everything I need to use the tool.
    When I grab the door planer box, I get everything.
    Ditto for the drills, the circular saw, etc.

=======================
    GETTING THERE - for either system - starts out by finding and sorting it so you know what you have. And it assumes you have some shelf space.

FIRST STEP:
    Get a bunch of bins - shoeboxes work well - label them with categories and start tossing things into them. This is a speed exercise. You are doing a fast top-level sort, trying to clear the clutter into small chunks of clutter.

Pliers and wrenches
    Screwdrivers
    Hammers
    Drill bits, hole saws (anything you attach to a drill)
    Scrapers, chisels, sanders, rasps (anything that shapes wood)
    Fasteners - all rivets, screws, nails, bolts, etc. (recycle plastic jars for this)
    Power tools and accessories (blades, guides, etc.)
    Files and rasps
    Painting tools
    Drywall repair
    Demolition (sledges, prybars, wrecking bars)

Put the boxes on the shelves.

MAINTENANCE for this phase is just tossing things back in the right box. It may be enough of an improvement that you can stop here.

SECOND STEP PREP:
    If you are going for the "all on the wall", next you put up the pegboards and also shelves for boxes of things that can't be hung.

If you are going to do the project-specific boxes, find toolboxes. Any box should be large enough to hold ALL the tools for that task, but not much bigger. My plumbing box holds the torch and a small snake as well as the wrenches, so it's honking ginormous.

THIRD STEP IMPLEMENTING:
    Here's where the project box method makes it easy. Any time you have a certain kind of project, grab the box for it. If there isn't a box, go through the bins from Step 1 and collect your tools and fill a box for it.

If you are using method 1, sort each box into finer categories if it makes sense: phillips versus straight versus funny-shaped screwdrivers ... pipe wrenches versus

Hang them up by type.

=============
    As time permits, sort out the fasteners into smaller categories.

The trick is to NOT get too finely divided with the main containers because that is its own sort of clutter. If I grab a box that says "drywall screws" from the shelf and inside it there are 17 containers with various sizes, that's great. If those 17 containers are on the shelf, no matter how nicely labelled they are, I have to look at every container to make sure I have all the drywall screws.

• Grammyto6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh TONS of reading :) THANK YOU! Off to read now...

• Grammyto6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS, he is asking for my help.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Lazygardens had several good explanations for the appeal of my "a box for each category."

I have a basement storage closet, and that's where my tools are. I also have all the drill stuff in a single case, etc. (I've just realized I don't do this for the sander, and actually that's a problem. Now I need to figure out how to make that happen. Rats, I think I just gave away one of the generic tool cases I had--but I think it wouldn't be big enough anyway.)

I want to underline this:
    The trick is to NOT get too finely divided with the main containers because that is its own sort of clutter. If I grab a box that says "drywall screws" from the shelf and inside it there are 17 containers with various sizes, that's great. If those 17 containers are on the shelf, no matter how nicely labelled they are, I have to look at every container to make sure I have all the drywall screws.

I love my "nails & screws" storage--those Altoids tins that stand on their edges inside a medium-size case. They're labeled "medium screws," etc., and I can find what I need. But I didn't have to spend a ton of time setting it up. And if I get working on something and decide I need a slightly different screw, I have them all with me.
    It's also easy to carry--nothing spills, I don't have to count out the right number, etc.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Fishing tackle boxes make terrific project-type tool boxes - small dividers for nails, screws, washers, etc, and a large space at the bottom for tools. Often the divided space can be adjustable.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

One other thought--use whatever box is handy when you're sorting out, but maybe get toolboxes to hold the stuff once you're all sorted and under way.

Because: then he can pick up the tool box, and take it with him. When he's done w/ the plumbing or electrical, he has the tools out, right? But he's got to carry them back to the garage.
    So he tosses them into the toolbox and closes it. Then he has *one* thing to put away when he gets back to the garage. And all the tools are already inside.

So what if he carried along some tools or supplies he didn't need? Bcs, he might've needed them, midway through. And anyway, he carried one thing--the toolbox. It was actually -less- work than carrying the three tools and two supplies he was sure he'd need.

If an organizational thing comes apart, I think it's usually bcs it's too complicated. Think about this:
    He does a job that uses three tools (wire stripper, pliers, screwdriver) and three supplies (wire nuts, electrical tape, wire). It's time to put it all back. Here's his list:
    • At the job site, he has to pick up every one of these things and either carry it in his hands, or put it in some sort of container for carrying it.
    • He carries everything into the garage.
    • He has to put everything down on the workbench so he can have his hands free to put things away.
    • If he used a container, he now has to take things out of a container to put them away in other containers--that derails a ton of people. Everything already feels "put away" once!
    • He has to pick up all the wire nuts, open up the little drawer to put them away, then close it.
    • He has to pick up the electrical tape, then open up the larger drawer to put it away, then close it.
    • He has to pick up the pliers and lean over the workbench, and hang them on the hook.
    • He has to pick up the screwdriver and lean over the workbench and hang it up.
    • He has to pick up the wire stripper and open the drawer (or lean over the workbench) and hang it up.

With an electrical toolbox (with a top tray for wire nuts & tape, and tools in the bottom), he puts things away at the job site.
    • He takes out only the wire nuts (or other supplies) he needs--no bringing extras in case he drops one.
    • At the job site, he has to pick up every one of these things and either carry it in his hands, or put it in some sort of container for carrying it the toolbox.
    • He puts the tray in the toolbox and closes the box.
    • He carries everything the toolbox into the garage.
    • He has to put everything the toolbox down on the right section of the workbench so he can have his hands free to put things and walks away.

See how much easier that is? The very container he uses to carry stuff to the job *IS* his organizing tool.

And if he uses the toolbox as a container while he's working, instead of setting the tools down on the floor (chucking the screwdriver into the toolbox when he's done with it), he doesn't even have to pick them up and put them in the container!

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

I think there are a lot of good ideas here but there is a missing link IMO and that is your DH. An organizing system has to incorporate how your DH lives not how ideally you would like him to live

You probably have a fairly good idea of what all is out in the garage from previous attempts on getting it organized. I'd "interview" your DH on how he likes to use it. Have him explain a few scenarios of various jobs. Think of the 80/20 rule. He typically probably uses 20% of his tools 80% of the time. The other 80% of tools are specialty ones. Find out what he uses for plumbing issues, carpentry issues, painting, electrical etc. For each of these have a tote full of the items he almost always use. He can then add the extra specialty ones he needs. When he's done, someone (either you or him) can put the specialty tools away. Bottom line, if someone doesn't put them away, you'll be back to square one.

If you make putting them away easy w/o much thought, the tools are much more apt to get put away. The organization may not look as "beautiful" as you may like, but if the tools get put away, where they can be found, that's huge.

Last winter, we organized our garage. We put everything into bins that are easy to access for the often used items and less easier access to the infrequently used items. It's been working like a charm for us.

Bottom line, organize to the way you live, not to the way you want to live.