Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small chest/dressers in dining and living rooms

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 23:01

I have two small dressers I got at antique stores. One is about 3' wider, cherry finish, from the 1930's with 4 drawers. I have it in the living room beside the front door. The top drawer is where I store extension cords and candles. The other 3 drawers have board games. The top is the "drop it here" space everyone needs by a door! Wallets, keys, etc get stored there.

In my dining room I have a very small dresser that's only about 18 inches wide. It fits perfectly in a little "nook" between the doorway from the kitchen & the doorway into the living room. It has 5 drawers. The bottom drawer has the phone book. The other 4 drawers have school supplies (paper, notebooks, pens, calculator, stapler, etc).

I find these pieces of bedroom furniture fit exactly what I need in these two rooms. They even look really cute and "unexpected" in these rooms.

I will try to get pictures and upload them tomorrow. My camera's flash isn't great, so pictures come out better during the day.

I just wanted to share this tip - try putting furniture in non-traditional places.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small chest/dressers in dining and living rooms

Little chest beside the front door

o
RE: Small chest/dressers in dining room

Here's the one in the dining room. I think it's from the 60's. I'd like to get new drawer pulls but don't really know what type would look good. Does anyone have suggestions?

Ignore the floor. I have it torn up. I'm laying new flooring in the whole first floor. The dining room and kitchen are stripped down to the plywood underlayment. I'm starting on them tonight. The same Pergo will run seamlessly into both rooms.

o

Yes, those handles on the second pic look dated from the "Early American" furniture era of the 1960's. Can you possibly find brushed nickel handles? There was a catalog I used to get, "Restoration Hardware" which may have some examples of attractive drawer pulls. The top pic looks terrific, tucked next to the door.

o

We have a three drawer nightstand between the Morris chairs in our living room... perfect size and function!

o

I love having dressers in unusual places.

The molding at top and bottom of your little chest looks almost mid-century modern.
What's the distance between the holes?

These might look nice--the lines on them might mimic the lines in that molding

http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/moreinfo.cfm/product/3090/53042-amerock-galleria-pull-antique-nickel

Here is a link that might be useful: midcentury modern brass curved drawer pulls

o

Talley Sue - those brass ones you linked are PERFECT. I love them! I will have to order 2 sets. They come in sets of 4, and my little chest has 5 drawers.

I originally bought the chest intending to paint it. That was 2 years ago and the finish has grown on me. I think with those cool brass pulls, it wouldn't even need painted.

o

I finally ordered the brass drawer pulls this evening! I had to order 2 sets since there are 5 drawers in my little dresser. I have a built in in my hall with 3 drawers. I can use the other 3 drawer pulls there! Once I figured that out, I decided go go ahead and order them, even though they are expensive!

Once I get them, and the floor & trim done, I'll post an updated picture.

o

The chest and dresser look great! DH and I have what we call FSS, flat surface syndrome. If there is a flat surface, we tend to pile stuff on it.

I put a chest by the front door also for the same reasons, keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. All kinds of other junk got piled there too and it was always a mess. So I 'scaped' it. I cleared out the top drawer for the keys, wallet, etc. I put a nice mirror over the chest, a small lamp on top, and some other decorative items. It looked so good we didn't want to mess it up with 'junk', so it still functioned but looked good all the time.

Mommabird, I'm so glad you are now enjoying your environment and putting your mark on it. You have done a lot of very hard work and are an inspiration.

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here