Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you do to avoid it all?

Posted by smom40 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 05 at 19:01

Today, I actually went outside and mowed the backyard. This is notable since I haven't used a mower in about...TEN YEARS! LOL

Reminds me of college. I used to clean out my closets or my refrigerator the night before a test. I guess I'm consistant!

Tonight, I attack the kitchen. The WHOLE THING is a 'hot spot'. We basically live in there. It's where 'my' junk is. It's where the paper lives. It's where everything I don't know what to do with, lives. It's the most evil place in my home.

It's not dirty. The sink is clean. The dishes are put away. The counters where I cook are clean.

But everything else? Oh lordy.

If you don't hear from me in a few days, send in a posse...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you do to avoid it all?

Shop for more stuff.

o

I read a good mystery. preferably, something I've already read. But after my daughter died in December and again when my father died seven months later, I couldn't read at all.

My youngest daughter does the same and had the same reaction to reading afater Shelly died.

Every other situation works with the reading.

shirley

o

To avoid the worst jobs around the house, I usually do volunteer work or join a new committee. Volunteering gives a positive sense of accomplishment; washing the kitchen floor just means it's going to be dirty again the next day.

I'm trying not to do that as much this fall so I can get caught up around here!

o

Play on the computer or talk on the phone. (Just think, by reading this we might ALL get new methods of avoidance! LOL)

o

My biggest avoidance method is browsing the internet - mostly looking at decorating ideas, furniture, & organizing stuff. Sometimes I read, watch tv w/DH or talk on the phone.

o

Same here. I can spend hours surfing when I should be doing other things.

Talking on the phone, though, actually helps me get stuff done because I can talk on the cordless and do mindless stuff like empty the dishwasher or fold clothes -- it makes the job fly by.

o

Going to several sites on the internet. They, unfortunately, have taken number 1 priority on my "to do list".

There are times when I'll stay up late just to get my internet fix so that I can concentrate on the house the next day.

o

Shirley.. Like you anything that had to do with using my head like that was out after our baby son died 5 years ago... I acutally got a lot of or actually tackling projects that I had not gotten too... but that were for the most part mindless... it gave my head a a break and my heart time to at least start the process of healing... it take a long time but each day it gets a little better.
Lots of hugs for you!

Maddiemom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here