Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Staging area

marie26
16 years ago

I have finally organized all my papers into folders and drawers. Each of these, though, need to be organized into sub categories. Quite a few months ago, I had purchased the deal of my lifetime, 16 drawers at only $1.30 each. They sell at the Container Store for $16.50 each. I have been using these drawers as my "staging" area for this project. I'll eventually move everything into my filing cabinet which has more than enough room to hold what I end up keeping. The cabinet is not easily accessible so I want to have everything ready to put in there at one time.

My dd moved back home and is very comfortable living in chaos which is driving me nuts. I want to now give her 8 to 12 of these drawers to organize her stuff into. She's loaded with electronics, art supplies, needlework stuff, sewing stuff, books, magazines, medicines for her 2 diseases, etc. And she uses it all. She doesn't like the drawers even though I think they're very stylish but they are extremely practical and can stack so they won't take up too much room. I've already decided that she'll have no choice in this.

I am ready to get started on the next phase. For now, are there very cheap boxes that will hold my filing cabinet folders so I can continue my papers project in my present staging area? Actually, it's my living room where the TV and radio are. This way, DD will have the drawers very soon and can get her act together even if I need to help her.

Or does anyone have any other advice on how I should go about this?

Comments (14)

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

The office supply stores have cardboard "banker's boxes", I think they call them. Or, just file boxes. Designed to hold file folders. They have a lift-off top. I'm not sure that would work for you. They will not be cheap. Regular shipping boxes would be cheaper.

Have you looked at the dollar stores around you?

I don't understand if these containers must stack and pull open like drawers or just have tops so they can be stacked and removed one at a time. Any requirements you can explain? Oh, and size?

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They won't be permanently used so I don't need covers nor do they need to open like drawers. Just anything that I can slip the file folder rods over the edges and put papers into the folders while standing over the box.

• metromom
    16 years ago

how about milk crates with the ridges in the top to hold hanging file folders?

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Or perhaps the cardboard boxes that 10 reams of paper come in. I use them for many things. I've never tried hanging files in them, but an awful lot of paper will fit. You can probably get them for free from any school-we had stacks of boxes to give away at my school, which is why I have so many!

Sherry

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The milk crates and the paper boxes are both good ideas. Tonight, I went through 1 drawer and although I was able to do the sorting, it really would have been better to have a place to keep the folders in place since they kept sliding around.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Marie,

I am not sure I understand so will toss this out and it might not work at all. Would clothes pins on the edges of the boxes or crates keep the flies from sliding while you are filling them. Since it is only temporary you could unclip them pretty fast??

Such a DEAL on those drawers. I have several large ones in the house and use them in our cupboards in the bathroom linen closet and pantry for the dog food and my office for office and craft things.

Hope you find something that will work for you.

Chris

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Okay, if I understand it right, you only will be working on one box at a time to make your transfer (??). If so, no need to invest in more than one properly designed box. The rest of the things can be stored in anything cheap (moving boxes, etc. Prop the files up with old bath towels or shoe boxes or whatever to prevent them from falling over inside the boxes while they await their turn).

Get a box like the one I linked to here. Or a milk crate. Try you office supply store. I assume you have the hanging file folders already. Then transfer each boxes files into the box designed to hold the hanging files and work from there. This is only to hold costs down in case you don't want to buy enough containers that will properly store your hanging files.

There were lots of other choices at the linked site. Or, just google "hanging file boxes" like I did for other ideas.

Good luck and happy sorting!

Here is a link that might be useful: hanging files box

• jannie
    16 years ago

I have folders for my paperwork too. How about labelling one "To Do" and putting in it things that need your attention, like bills to pay,letters to answer,small projects, etc. Then try to empty the "To Do" folder by doing the required activity. This might cascade and help empty some of your other folders.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

here is apic of a banker's box open, w/ plain manila files in it.

I *think* that if you put a hanging-file folder in there, the metal tabs that stick out at the end will rest on top of the box edge. They won't slide (which may be what you want, actually), and they won't fall in.

My vote: go look at a banker's box at Staples or somewhere like it, and take a hanging file w/ you, and hold it up against the end of the box, and see if it'll rest on the box edges.

This one has plastic rails for those hanging file folder that will let the files slide around. It is 13" wide, and the other banker's boxes w/o the slides are 12" wide, which makes me think I'm right.

(this one has corrugated dividers to keep files from falling over--you coud just use your own cardboard, or a gift box, or something)

• marie26
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You've all been so helpful with your suggestions but I have a confession to make. Instead of shopping for the right product, I've been going through the drawers and have only 2 left to do which are the easiest ones. Hopefully, I'll get them done tonight.

I usually procrastinate and use an excuse of not having the right product on hand to do what I need to do but this time I just did it! That's quite an accomplishment for me.

But I would like to add that using the drawers for the staging area has worked out wonderfully. It's kept everything organized and out of sight so the house doesn't look like a complete mess. I'd suggest this for those who are organizing papers or items that aren't oversized.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

way to go, Marie!

You bring up an interesting point--it's really easy to get so busy finding an easy way to do it, that we can spend MORE time planning than the job actually takes.

How great that those drawers worked well for you in the early stages of this project.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

congrats, Marie! You have just defeated what is probably my personal #1 procrastination excuse: "I can't do it until I get the RIGHT tools."

You apparently already had them. Or adapted to what you had.

• sheesh
    16 years ago

On the procrastination idea: That's exactly what I do! I'm doing it right now... I don't have the right tools, or time, or energy, or there is a MAJOR stumbling block in the way. Such as.....

The cat! I spent a couple days last week organizing and cleaning my sewing room, expecting that I could spend this week cleaning and re-doing my DDs old bedroom (she won't be returning home after college [probably...Hah!]) so it can be used as another guest room for our large family, and I discovered that the cat has been urinating on the floor in there! I am furious, and I feel helpless. I know what I should do....GET RID OF ALFIE....but as mad as I am, I don't have the heart yet.

I'm not sure what my next step is. Alfie is too old to go up and down the stairs, but too good to get rid of. All I know for sure is I must find a way to make him stop this, and then get back to the business of getting the house in order, which is going to be a much bigger chore than I expected.

I'm just venting here, and procrastinating in a major way...I don't want to face this obstacle. Thanks for listening, and sorry about derailing the thread.

Sherry

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Alfie is too old to go up and down the stairs,

Is that why he's urinating there? Bcs the litter box is down, and he's up?

That's a simple solution--add another litter box on the other floor.

If it's just that he's old and can't hold it in anymore, or that he's sick....

Maybe a vet consultation?

Good luck w/ the cat problem.

And stop procrastinating! Get cracking on this! It's not going to be any LESS work because you started LATER!

(did that help? Now, pls, wld you say that to me? bcs w/ the stuff I procrastinate on, I make things WORSE, back myself up into a deadline, make stuff pile up all of it against the same deadline....)