Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Custom Kitchen Drawer Organizers Worth It?

Posted by wasabiwillie (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 17:57

So I am fed up with my kitchen drawers and I need a solution, or I am going to create one.

My problem: My current drawer organizers don't fit my drawers and slide around. The spaces for my cooking gadgets don't fit. Things don't get put back where they go and its a general mess.

I have seen some expandable drawer organizers that would solve at least one of my problems. I have also seen custom inserts you can move around, but it doesn't seem to give enough options.

What has worked for you? Any ideas? Am I alone with this headache?

Thanks for your replies and any advice you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Custom Kitchen Drawer Organizers Worth It?

A divider that fits YOUR stuff, not the "average" stuff is priceless, and alas, pricy too.

It's easy to make them to fit your stuff. Use heavy cardboard, foam core or thin plywood if you have a saw.

Or even 1x3 boards: http://ana-white.com/2011/03/wood-drawer-organizers

Cover them with pretty paper if you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Dividers

o

I'm not so sure it's worth it, completely, if they're really expensive--you might consider using double-sided sticky foam mounting strips to anchor the dividers you've got.

Then the outside edges of the organizers can serve as a divider in themselves.

But, there are other DIY options, too.

You can just cut it out of foam board and hot-glue it together--I made a box to hold my lightbulbs that way, and it looks pretty good, actually, and it was cheap. (Mostly bcs I always have some foam board around from school projects. But foam board is cheap.)

If you want to make it out of wood but don't have a saw, try this?

The link here is for drawer divider brackets at Lee Valley hardware; you need 1/4" thick wood to slide into them. (you can buy 1/4" thick wood in strips 2" or 3" wide in really good hobby shops.

For example, here's 1/4" thick, 4" wide (might work in some drawers), 24" long. You can cut w/ a fine-toothed saw, and sometimes an X-acto.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mid/mid4406.htm

And in fact, the company where that store gets these strips, Midwest Hobby, has similar strips in HARDWOOD--so, cherry, mahogany, walnut. As well as basswood, which is a soft wood that's easily cut.

http://www.midwestproducts.com/store/products/fca1c97c-0ab9-4249-b9da-928ce6994429/2/Hardwoods.aspx

What I often do in your situation is first try it out in foam board, even if I just tape it together for now. If you think you might want the spring-loaded divider or whatever store-bought thing there is, try approximating it in your own drawers w/ foam board. Then you'll see if it really DOES make a difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: drawer-divider brackets

o

I found ready made wood ones at Home Goods and Bed Bath & Beyond and used a combination of fixed and expandable ones. They look as nice as most of the custom ones, fit what I need and even after getting a couple of drawer knife blocks, I spent $100 or less for all of them. That worked for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here