Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole93089

Ideas for small laundry room?

nicole93089
16 years ago

I have a really, really small galley laundry room. I need to store school supplies there (paper, folders, notebooks, lots of containers of markers, crayons, etc.) along with lunch boxes, dog supplies, backpacks, ironing board. Washer & dryer are along one wall with sink at the end & cabinets above for laundry stuff. Other side has hooks for backpacks and shelf along with 2 stacked wire box-type things (for the school supplies). It's just not cutting it. Any ideas? It's really narrow. Are there storage solutions I'm just not thinking of for the wall across from the w/d? thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Would something like locker storage work there? Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: preschool locker furniture

• nicole93089
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link! it's a great idea, but I think it might obstruct the walkway too much. The room is very narrow. I probably need to focus on storing the school supplies since that is what bugs me the most. I've got hooks for the backpacks. But maybe a corner cabinet would work. hmmm. . .

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

first, if it's narrow, are you sure you want to use that wall? Are you sure there isn't room on the washer/dryer wall? Is that wall COMPLETELY filled w/ washer, dryer, and sink? Could you fit the ironing board over there?

Or could you fit a tall, skinny bookcase into any gap?

You say those cabinets above are for laundry supplies--do they have to be? Can other stuff go in them? Of course, that stuff won't be as easily accessed.

And are these school supplies that get used a lot?

It sounds like they could just fit on shallow bookcases, or a shallow shelf hung on the wall. How deep is the deepest thing--9 inches? You can get some pretty shallow bookcases, and you could always get one made at an unfinished furniture store.

and what about the wire cubbies isn't "cutting it"? and why doesn't that work? Knowing this might help us think of infrastructure solutions.

I too have trouble w/ school stuff, the stuff that's used every day. The book bags can't hang on hooks--they are WAY too heavy for that. So they end up in lots of different places, usually where I trip over them.

• nicole93089
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input, Talley Sue.

Yes, the w/d wall is completely full with the sink at the end and a window. But you know, you got me thinking. The cabinets above are completely full (laundry stuff, lightbulbs, candles, etc.) but I could definitely make space up there. A narrow bookcase might work too.

The wire cubbies are great, but I have a huge towering mountain of supplies on the top that is unruly. Constantly used boxes of markers, colored pencils, rulers, crayons, pens, etc. The bottom has papers, folders, etc. There's got to be a better way!

The backpacks hang on the hooks fine, they just stick out a lot. What I would give for a lovely, big mudroom. . .

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I'm w/ you on the "craving a mudroom" concept.

OK, this stuff is used all the time, and it's best if little kids can get it out (and put it away) easily.

Extra supplies could go up above, but not the stuff that's in use. I don't think you'd be happy w/ the daily lunchbags and the markers above the washer & dryer.

(some folks might suggest you raise the machines by putting storage underneath, like those modern front-loaders, but that's too much work)

More wire cubbies? Or shelves AND wire cubbies? Or maybe those wooden cubes?

I can see the cubbies being useful for lunch bags, and drawers being useful for markers, rulers, etc.

Or pouches on the wall for some of the smaller stuff like rulers and boxes of markers, etc., and a shelf for the note books & folders (w/ permanent dividers somehow, so they don't fall over so easily? Maybe just set a file sorter on the shelf?).

I'm just thinking fast and idly; maybe more ideas later.