Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization

Posted by Elisabeth_pinelake (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 17:46

"The National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization, an association of professional organizers, has established a household clutter assessment scale."

see the article at http://www.11alive.com/tech/tech_article.aspx?storyid=70921, a local Atlanta TV station (I don't know whether this is an exclusive, or they got it somewhere else). The article speculates that clutter is an evolutionary reaction, like overeating - saving up against scarcity. It suggests that these are modern phenomena because, for either obesity or clutter, large populations didn't have the necessary financial or food resources until recently.

The National Study Group's website is here: http://www.nsgcd.org/

No time to read further, just thought others might be interested.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization

Thanks for the link to the article, Elisabeth.

I know my clutter and disorganization is learned behavior from my mom. I think that is why I have done so well with Flylady's programing.

I have found it very difficult to transfer those same new skills to the workplace. I still find myself with mountains of paperwork.

Gloria

o
RE: National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization

M clutter problem is a learned behavior also. My dad learned it from my grandparents. My grandparents were notorious packrats. I think it was a habit they developed from growing up poor. When they died, they had five buildings full of stuff, not including yard clutter.

It's hard to pare down mountains of paperwork. I've also found that some people go the opposite extreme and get rid of things they shouldn't have. Files that are currently active shouldn't be missing major pieces of information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here