Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adobesunlight

YAY!! Made progress with cleaning and de-cluttering today!!))

adobesunlight
16 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the motivation, I started my daily routine by working only 90 minutes! Oh yes, I have a longggggggggggggggg way to go yet, but don't want to become overwhelmed and call it good, then not get back in the swing of things for weeks, so figured if I do a little at a time this will work out fine! Our city provides these black heavy duty trash bags that we receive twice per year, so decided to bring one in and see how long it would take to fill it up! I grabbed stacks of papers (junk mail with a few bills tucked in between) and started sorting. This was done sitting, so back was just fine. Next I took a bathroom break (LOL) but while in there noticed a handful of items we rarely use, so tossed them as well. When entering the kitchen for a glass of water my attention was drawn to the baker's rack that housed old cereal boxes, folded up empty paper bags that had been soiled (ICK!) and grabbed what I could to get rid of. In about an hour and a half my trash bag was full to the brim!!! I can't believe this much was accomplished in so little time! Had originally planned to devote maybe 15 minutes today, but got on a roll and was actually enjoying myself for a change! WOW!! It's unbelievable! Tomorrow is trash day, so knew I wouldn't have to store this stuff in the mudroom all week which was nice too. I'm not yet noticing any changes in the house, but will within a few days of sorting and dumping junk aka trash. Tomorrow I will tackle a hot spot in our house----the coffee table. If there's enough energy left after that, then next it will be the little table in our kitchen (another hot spot). Can't believe all of the crap that's in this house!! UGH!!!!!!

Comments (58)

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good for you!! Moving through different rooms and picking out the most obvious stuff to pitch is a great way to start and feel your success. Congrats! I'll be checking back to see how you're doing.

Tina

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Day Two-----It's 1:30pm here and so far my sink in the kitchen is sparkling clean or "was"....My job today was to sort through a box of utensils that had been stored since we moved here two years ago! It took about 20 minutes to do and the ones I'm "considering" keeping are now soaking in the sink...lol! On the other hand, we've been without these utensils for two years, sooooooooo....? Anyway, I don't feel quite as motivated as yesterday, so it's doubtful I'll get a whole lot done. Am in the need of empty boxes for the big items that will be donated to my neighbor on Monday of next week. In the meantime just staring at that stuff is bugging me. Why didn't it bother me before now? Guess it was...just turned my head and hoped it would go away.
    Feeling a little overwhelmed and at loose ends. Is it best to focus on one area until it's complete or do what catches my eye first? If it's the latter then there's literally tons of stuff like that in this house! Everywhere I look is not only clutter, but trash even!! I'm serious!! How we managed to live like this for so long is unbelievable since I can think back to the good 'ol days when our house was so clean you could literally eat off the floor (well, maybe not quite THAT clean). You get the picture tho, right? I never mopped back then...would much rather get on my hands and knees with sponges and a pail of hot soapy suds. Seriously! Can't do that anymore because of this extra weight AND bad back, but by cleaning that way I knew it was really clean and no hidden dirt in any of the crevices...LOL!

Felt the need to vent a little here. Will get back to my sink in a few minutes (still finishing up coffee). I was up way too late last night with very little sleep which is why I'm falling behind now. Hope I learn to discipline myself and go to bed at a decent time from now on, but have an addiction to an online game too....ugh!

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, coffee is cold and I've read a few posts and replied to Betsy's because we have so much in common from the sounds of it, so back to work now. I have to get those utensils clean and re-think them so my sink is shiny again! LOL! Not sure what the next step will be if anything at all. Dinner is leftovers because I made a big pot of food last night thinking there would be more time to devote to cleaning today. Sure wish I had gotten more rest though! Cyas later=)

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Got back to work like I said I would and finished the utensils as well as started a box of goodies for my neighbor. One thing lead to another and so decided to grab another stack of mail and sort through it which left a nice clear space on the coffee table now. Not as much done today as I would have liked, but sink is still clean and sparkling as dishes were done immediately following dinner! YAY!

• catbird
    16 years ago

Thanks for your posts. There are those of out here who need your example and inspiration. After rearing children, then going back to grad school, then working for 25 years, I retired recently and jumped right into remodeling our house. I need to do lots of painting in addition to getting the yard under control and cleaning out years of clutter and -- I have to admit it -- dirt. The DH is a hopeless pack rat, but for now I'll just ignore his study and bath and try to get my things in order. It's pretty overwhelming and, as everyone says, getting started is the hardest part.

• premier
    16 years ago

I'm happy for you that you started the decluttering. I wouldn't have picked the box of utensils to deal with. It sounds like there are so many other things you could have picked which would have had a bigger impact. Likewise with the mail. Sorting mail is time consuming and requires thought. You may have to read the mail and make a decision to keep or not or where to keep it. Not much of a pay off considering the time invested.

You mentioned there is just trash around. Walk around the house and scoop up any visible trash into a garbage bag. Don't dig for it. Just what is visible and easy to grab. Get a box and scoop up all that mail without reading it or throwing any out. You will clear up a lot of clutter just by picking up all the scattered mail and then some day you can sit and watch tv and look through the mail and have a garbage bag near you to throw out what you don't want.

You have to select a project that will give you a big bang for your buck. It doesn't have to be an entire room. It could be a corner of a room or the kitchen counters only or a bathroom. YOu need to complete something that you can admire how great it looks when you are done. That will keep you motivated. Your projects of this box of utensils and mail doesn't give you that nice image to admire. Start with projects that don't require thinking and making decisions.

• redcurls
    16 years ago

Keep it up...I'm enjoying reading how things are going for you. I've been there, done that......and I love the outcome. It is SO MUCH EASIER now that I run a tight, uncluttered ship. I have so much more free time now....it takes a lot more work to keep up in a messy house.

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Premiere! You are so right about not doing the stuff that takes a lot of thought, but DH left the biggest mess on the coffee table with bills and ads, etc. that it was bugging me to no end! I sorted one pile day before yesterday and the other one today, so at least it's thinner. LOL! The utensils have been occupying that soiled box on the bottom shelf of the baker's rack for two years now and everytime I walked into the kitchen I'd notice it, but think...."not today", so decided to do it now. Once I was able to clear all the plastic grocery bags and bags of ramen noodles from the top of it (I'm serious!) then I began dumping it all in the sink to soak. Not only did I finish this chore, but now have an empty box to store the goodies for my neighbor for next week's pickup on Monday night. Going to bed soon as it's after midnight, but wanted to check the boards once more before retiring. In the morning is grocery shopping and then home to make out a list of things that needs to be done. Won't spend much time doing that, but want something to go on. Will still go from room to room and get rid of stuff that sticks out like a sore thumb (things I can live without). Plan to keep you all posted.

Goodnight now!

• premier
    16 years ago

The sore thumb stuff is good. You can't get bogged down with thinking...and sometimes thinking is depressing. And in the beginning, avoid those hard decisions to keep something or not. Get 2 boxes. Label one "Keep" and the other one "Maybe". So this way, you don't have to stress out making a decision if you really want to keep something or not. You can get rid of it into one of those boxes or in the garbage if you decide that without investing the time to make those hard decisions. You will accomplish much more in less time if you don't have to think about everything you pick up. Set up a box labeled "mail" for when you come across other mail. Try to thing of other labels for stuff you may come across.

At least you will be able to pick things up from where they are and have a definite place to put them. Even if they are not thrown out yet, at least you have arranged and classified them into groups. Like...don't flip threw magazines and books deciding what to keep. Throw them all in a box. At another time when you feel like making final decisions about magazines and books, you can go through it.

Go for the easy stuff first. Keep us posted.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I agree w/ premier, and I disagree w/ her.

One of my mottos is, "first, do no harm"

In your zeal to wade into yesterday's mess, don't let today's mess (the mail) become a problem.

I don't think sorting the mail is as hard as she makes it out to be.

Bills go one place, wedding invitations another, and everything else goes in the garbage. What else do people get in the mail anyway?

Feeling a little overwhelmed and at loose ends. Is it best to focus on one area until it's complete or do what catches my eye first? If it's the latter then there's literally tons of stuff like that in this house!

It sounds like you just need a structure to follow. One you can believe in.

None of them would be wrong.

Maybe the thing to help you choose is, which will make you feel that you're making progress? "that it was bugging me to no end!"

Therefore, doing that mail WAS the best use of your decluttering time.

If when you look up from your box of utensils, you feel overwhelmed by the trash, then maybe the thing to do is just whirlwind through the house and throw things out.

But maybe you feel better having cleared the coffee table off--having that "visual calm" and sense of restored order wil make you feel energized for other stuff. And having eliminated something that has been nagging at you for a long time is also a great payoff.

We often suggest people start w/ a small, self-contained problem (the bathroom, often), so they get an instant sense of having accomplished something.

My guess is, you should alternate. Every day, or maybe 3 times each day, "toss ten"--find ten things that you can simply throw in the garbage, or throw in the Goodwill box (that's OUT of the house, mind you).

Then each day you ALSO pick an area that you can clear away.

Yay for you on your progress!!

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

It's so easy to give suggestions when we're not physically there to see what needs to be done, or mentally there with her to know what bugs her the most - sounds like emptying that box with the utensils gave her a positive boost to carry on. One hint with the mail - once you get a grip on it - I sort right after I get it - immediately. I have a small drawer in my desk where bills go until I sit down to write checks, and anything that is "junk" or ads, or offers for credit cards, etc. etc. goes right into the kitchen trash can - don't even open it. Mail doesn't find an open surface to rest at my house. Adobesunlight, it really sounds like you have a grip on this - what will drive you on is the great feeling of freedom and control you will have as you pursue this!

• jannie
    16 years ago

I've lived in the same house for 26 years. When I first lived here, the town had a BIG garbage pick-up advertised twice a year, spring and fall. You could throw out just about anything. Old garden tools, clothes, furniture, anything. Broken or good stuff would be taken away to the dump. I used to curbside-shop the cast-offs up and down my neighborhood. Got some good stuff, free. A nice old rocker, a sewing machine that still works. Also got rid of a lot of the junk from inside my house. They haven't had a big pick-up in years. Wish they would do this agsin. Sad to say, my house is at "critical mass". Just too much stuff! Iam I do mean stuff!

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG Jannie! I can certainly relate to what you're saying because one of my favorite forums here has always been "Trash to Treasure"! LOL! For the past few years, I would curbside shop, thrift shop, go to yard sales and do Ebay (mostly buy rather than sell), so for the most part could recognize a bargain when I saw one. Countless hours spent up all night checking ads and making lists of what to buy next or look for while I was out scouring the shelves at Goodwill, turning over pottery to see who made it and if it might be worth something to resell online! So this is what has made my de-cluttering project so difficult. We have enough junk here to start our own antique or eclectic shop if only it was organized! LOL! But....on the other hand, it's also making me crazy! DH goes downstairs into the basement to look for one thing and in the process tears through the boxes, breaking the tape seals and never re-sealing them. Everything is now one huge mess down there and I don't even want to look for fear that more family heirlooms could be broken and destroyed or mice may have gotten to them. Too scary!! I also got involved in crafts and numerous other art forms such as altering books, etc. so stocked up on supplies, leaving more stuff that's awaiting me to sort through. Right now I cannot allow myself to think about the basement and attic, but instead focus on our living space and the areas we spend the most time in....GET THE JUNK AND TRASH out of here!! Once it's cleared maybe then I can actually clean!!!

GOOD LUCK SWEETIE!! Why not join me in the de-cluttering adventure? LOL?

• betsymarie
    16 years ago

Quote: "They haven't had a big pick-up in years. Wish they would do this agsin. Sad to say, my house is at "critical mass". Just too much stuff! Iam I do mean stuff!"

Our town used to have yearly free trash pick-ups but havent for a few years. Just as well, I used to find 'stuff' and bring it home. But... our garbage company now allows you to call them once/year to schedule a private one at no charge, and there is not a long wait. You might call your company and ask. I believe ours will also do a special trash pick up at a very low price ($10?) if you have already used your yearly free one.

Adobesunlight, it sounds as if you and I are on similar pages. 'Stuff' all over the place, and just beginning the decluttering adventure. I wish it were finished yesterday, but it's not, so we'll plug on. No other way around it. Good luck to all of us.

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Day Three- My plans today was supposed to include grocery shopping, making out my "to do" list, keeping the sink clean in the kitchen and going around the house with a trash bag to remove "trash", but instead.......>>>>>>>> I GOT SIDE-TRACKED in a big way! Just before getting dressed to get started I received a crisis call from my best friend who didn't give me any other choice than to "be there for her". Seriously! We were to shop together getting some of my errands done and vice versa. What could have taken me about an hour (groceries, lists, sink) took up the entire afteroon! I do believe however that I've been putting my friendship with her on the back burner, much like I've been doing with my house. Today I spent the afternoon with my best friend and tried hard to give her some much needed encouragement. She is facing some serious health problems, financial issues, etc. We both felt better about things after venting, which was good. The only chores that were done was the sink and "part" of my shopping.....and so be it. Tomorrow is another day, right? I am totally exhausted right now...more like emotionally drained. Will have to learn how to structure my life and daily routines in a way that I'm able to devote time to others rather than focusing on myself and this mess all the time. Balance out....

On another note----I asked around today while doing errands about whether or not our city had any charity organizations that would pick up donations from our home rather than having to lug them down our steps and load each bag/box into the car. Apparently no one seems to know for sure, but was told to call Red Cross and Salvation Army. Yes, Betsy, we must be on the same page! Sure wish I had more boxes (something I had forgotten to inquire about at the grocery store today), so in the meantime will make use of our city bags and go from there. Before bedtime tonight I plan to pick out at least 10 things to get rid of (thanks for the tip Talley Sue) and that will give me some incentive to start anew tomorrow morning.

Good Luck everyone!!

• marie26
    16 years ago

Sometimes, life just happens. Your friend needed you and you were there for her. That's important, too. And tomorrow is another day for you to continue with your house. I know you will continue because it's bothering you that you didn't do as much today as you would have liked to do.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

well, let's see--what progress?

-the sink (don't discount this! Maintianing a base routine is a powerful tool)

-part of your shopping

-time invested in a friendship

-research into charities that would pick up

-"toss 10" at bedtime (you *did* do that, right? If you forgot, then think of me tonight when you get in bed, and get back OUT if you didn't do it, LOL! I'll be haunting you!)

That's something. Remember, constant forward progress.

Some days, big stuff; some days, small.

On the "toss 10" or "do a dozen" strategies I use: Each day, I define "10" or "dozen" differently. If I'm feeling energetic, "every pen on the desk" or "every magazine in the living room" counts as 1. On other days, when I'm rushed, I count each pen or magazine individually.

(I first used "do a dozen" when trying to motivate myself to worth through folding the laundry that DH does while I'm at work; I decided, socks never count. And likewise, when I'm "tossing," I've decided that unneeded receipts and plastic bags don't count)

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Day Four- I woke up to a minor disaster this morning! My darling husband must have gotten up during the night and snacked, then cooked breakfast for himself leaving behind dirty dishes in my sink!! ACK!! Not only that, but a few other goodies (trash) on the coffee table rather than tossing them in the bin! Okay, I'm trying to calm down now...lol. Sooooooooooooooooooo..first thing I did BEFORE making coffee was the dishes. Afterwards I made coffee and came in the check this forum for responses from yesterday's post. It's so nice to have online friends that give you such encouragement! Thank you!!

Here's what I've tackled thus far today----The dishes/sink of course, the coffee table which has been unbelievably horrible! Not sure if you're familiar with the t.v. show "Friends", but we have the same exact coffee table where both ends lift up for storage, right? OMG! I have never stored anything in there before and just assumed it was empty, but when my youngest stepson lived with us, he would clean house to surprise us now and then and I often wondered where he was putting things. Uh....well......I found out where some of it went today!!! OMG!!! Good thing I didn't panic and start tossing because I found the title to my car amidst the mess!! Was wondering which drawer or folder I had placed it in, but "lo and behold"...it was in the coffee table for who knows how long!? Tons and tons of papers were in there (mostly junk mail stuff and magazines). Out of this heap I put aside two of the magazines to check out later (recipes, etc). The rest went into the garbage. This took about half an hour or more as both ends was filled with junk! Now, I know this was "out of sight, out of mind" basically and that the main focus should be removing what's visible first, but..............I felt the need to purge this crappola before doing anything else. The coffee table is now finally done!! It's nice and clean and waiting for DH to litter it again (NOT!!). Also went around the house with a trash bag and filled two plastic grocery bags with smaller stuff and one big bag with misc. paper junk. This is the worst our house has ever, ever been! Almost got sidetracked by my best friend again today. She was hoping I'd go back to the grocery store with her and do a few more errands, but I firmly told her that I couldn't get side-tracked from my work today..sorry. Took a break earlier and had planned to play a little with my online game that I am so hooked on, but couldn't focus. This is when I logged off after about 15 minutes and cleaned the coffee table instead. Yes, I'm really motivated but haven't gotten very physical with my work yet. Most of what I've been doing can be accomplished sitting down. Still have a lot of jobs around here that will allow that, but later on it will be more difficult since my back and the arthritis weigh me down.

Oh! Also straightened the sofa as DH has been sleeping there so as not to wake me up during the night. He had tons of blankets strewn all over the place and his t-shirt, etc. Yes, we have been living like pigs and it's disgusting!

What else? Oh yes...I cleared some space on the kitchen counter and am planning to make a nice dinner tonight. Not one of those quick fix meals=)

That's all for now!

• marie26
    16 years ago

I am so proud of you! You've done quite a lot! Sometimes, I'll prepare dinner on the clean part of the kitchen counter and after eating, clean up all the counters.

Can you think of a category of items that you'll be keeping and as you throw away the trash, throw these into the coffee table?

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Now, I know this was "out of sight, out of mind" basically and that the main focus should be removing what's visible first,

"should," sez who?

YOU are the one who gets to determine what "should" get done. If this is done, it's done!

On your DH, and his leaving stuff strewn on the coffee table--You have some example-setting to do, and some "resetting the bar" to do.

You will hopefully find that as you are able to clear surfaces, and maintain them at "clear," he will start to follow along.

when everything is messy, and you're used to seeing every surface covered, then leaving one or two things out yourself just doesn't register.

if the countertop or coffee table is clear, and you're used to seeing it, and all the other spaces around, clear, then those one or two things will seem really noticeable.

Before you get all crabby at home over this stuff, give it a few weeks.

And give it some time also of saying, "gee, I sure like seeing the coffee table so clear--it makes me feel like I can relax." and stuff like that. He's used to you not caring; it'll take a while for it to register that it matters to you.

I think it's also fair to say, if he's home when you're tackling it, "Honey, I'm trying to keep the coffee table clear most of the time. Would you help me by dealing with those papers, ALL THE WAY, right now? Pls don't just move them--let's pay those bills, or file the paperwork. Now, pretty please? Honest, it won't take that long."

Out of this heap I put aside two of the magazines to check out later (recipes, etc).

OK, I'm going to do a little tough love here. I want you to seriously consider whether, given what your current focus is, and how important it is to you, whether you should make yourself toss everything even remotely like that.

I work at a magazine, and I can tell you--we will publish another bunch of recipes next month, and the month after that. You won't miss anything important if you toss those.

But by keeping them, you have created a chore, and held onto things that are only "iffy" in terms of usefulness.

So, consider not keeping ANYTHING magazine or catalog related.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Wow, adobe, you are doing great!! I think you did a lot of work today and deserve a pat on the back.

I'd like to suggest that you not use the "p" word. It's not a very positive way to describe your or your husband's behavior. You seem to have just gotten into a rut and are working to change that. We've all been there in one way or another.

There's so much about managing your home environment and time that really boils down to the ability to set limits with yourself and others. You seem to be discovering this very quickly. I agree with what you said yesterday, that it's about finding a balance.

See you tomorrow!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I just re-read and realized you'd been firm w/ your friend, and stuck to your plan to take care of your home.

Congratulations! You'll fin d a way to balance the two, and in fact, today's firmless was probably the beginning of balance. Tiem to take care of the things that are YOUR priority.

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Day Five- Woke up with a sinus migraine today, so was worried that nothing would get done, but as the day progressed the pain lessened, sooo..here's the list so far of things accomplished-

1. sink (that's a given, but DH was up again cooking last night and made a mess! LOL!)

2. hot spot in the kitchen---we have a small kitchen table with two chairs that sits by the window overlooking our backyard. Used to be really nice, but since then has been piled up with junk, and i do mean JUNK! I bagged everything up that was there and washed down the tabletop and then brought the bag into the living room and started sorting. Afterwards, I added a fresh clean tablecloth and vase of flowers, then organized the silverware basket and placed it in the middle of the table. Now it looks nice and DH noticed it right away! (Didn't take but maybe 20-30 minutes time! WOW!)

3. started a big pot of ham and beans for dinner and will make homemade biscuits as well!

That's it so far and it's almost 4:30pm our time=) Forgot to mention that I found a small pile of books on the kitchen table that went into the donation box. Magazines too!!

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

You're on a ROLL! How great that you cleared the table and put on a fresh clean cloth with a vase of flowers! And how nice that your dh is noticing too. I hope you totally enjoy your dinner sitting at that table. You're inspiring me to go cut flowers for the vase in my bedroom and bath, which is something I love to do but haven't in a while. I made my bed this morning, so I certainly deserve flowers! I'm on my way outside right now...

Are you working over the weekend, or will you take some time off? Either way, look at what you've done this week!

• marie26
    16 years ago

You've gone much further than I ever did in that you after you've cleaned a spot, you've thought to brighten up the area with flowers. I bet that image alone will stop you from using the table as a catch all from now on. Good for you!

• teacats
    16 years ago

Joining in here -- and wanted to shout out "WELL DONE!!!!"

You've been just wonderful!! And isn't it just marvellous to sit down at a pleasant table!!! One of my favorites things to do --- and that memory sure helps me to "Keep it CLEAN and CLEAR"

Just in the door from vacation -- and my MUM will be staying with us for three months -- so I'm getting her stuff organized too!

Just remember -- Organizing is an On-Going Process -- like peeling back the layers on onions!!! LOL!!

At my house today -- Mum and my DH went grocery shopping -- and I ran around emptying the suitcases and stashing things -- AND throwing stuff OUT! ((always easier when DH is out of the way! LOL!)

I'm off to check on dinner preps -- Mum is making dinner (she's 87 years young!)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

brought the bag into the living room and started sorting

I do believe you are on to something here--you spoke of the physical difficulty of sorting stuff. But my corralling it and taking it where you can be comfortable, you are removing that problem.

Plus I think that there are some psychological benefits, too:
    -you immediately cleared the table--instant "bling"
    -you disconnected the stuff from the space, which makes it harder for the stuff to "cling"
    -you put yourself in a (hopefully) more pleasant space to tackle it
    -you disconnected *this* mess from the other messes in that room, and thereby compartmentalized it into a single, achievable task.

Tablecloth and flowers--do I sense some "territory staking"?

(Didn't take but maybe 20-30 minutes time! WOW!)

Isn't that amazing? I feel so sheepish every time I realize that something so powerful takes so little time. (and believe me, this means that I feel sheepish a lot--because I *always* forget this)

I'm going to remember your "20-minute table" when I go home and fold a week's worth of laundry. Last time I folded it (Saturday), I realized it's only 12 minutes a basket. And felt so sheepish.

(BTW: I love you "Day Five" heading--helped me find "today" right away, among all the rest of us blathering on in awe and admiration)

Way to go--I'm so inspired by your continuous progress.

And I wanna make ham and biscuits! Nobody else will eat ham, but they'll sure eat biscuits.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Talley Sue -- Excellent way to phrase it:

"BLING instead of CLING"

LOL!!!

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I haven't been responding to everyone's posts here, so will try to do a little now since dinner is out of the way and it's time for some relaxation. I have decided that nothing is going inside of the coffee table because drinks can spill and seep into the cracks destroying whatever might be in there. Also, I fear that junk might begin accumulating in that area. I like knowing that it's "free space" now. Same thing goes for things that you stash under the bed. Don't like it at all! As for the weekend, the only plans I've made thus far is keeping everything straightened up that I've worked on all week so when Monday rolls around I can devote time to something else (like other hot spots). Surely there's more that can be added to the donation box, but not going to knock myself out as everyone deserves time off, however if the motivation to get at least 10 things pitched in between then I can hardly NOT do it, right? LOL!

It's always been easier for me to clean when an area is totally cleared off first, then worry about what to do with those items afterwards. Whenever I attempt to clean the mantle, everything comes down to the floor so that it's done thoroughly, otherwise you're actually just cleaning around those objects. And I think too that since changes are going on around here, then fresh items are in order as well, which is why the clean tablecloth and vase of flowers seemed to be a good idea. Make it all look like new if at all possible! Afterall, once this is said and done we're painting the walls! YAY!! Can't wait for this to happen!

It's really paying off just doing a little at a time so as not to become overwhelmed and quit. I've been there; done that and also am the one to put pressure on myself, so certainly don't want to repeat my mistakes and do it again. Yes, I'm still surrounded by clutter..massive amounts of it in fact, but it IS getting done and my moods have been more on a positive note now than they have been in months! Instead of always ordering pizza delivery or fast food and only cooking 2-3 per week like we did in the past, I am preparing hot meals every night for my husband and it tastes so much better too!! This started on Monday as well=) DH seems to be in much better spirits, so this whole routine is working out wonderfully!

If in doubt, clear it out=) (My new slogan..lol)

• jannie
    16 years ago

My slogan is "Progress Not Perfection",
    As long as I accomplish something today,the day wasn't wasted. Congrats on those hot dinners. Sounds like a very worthwhile goal.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Adobesunlight,

"DH seems to be in much better spirits, so this whole routine is working out wonderfully!"

Your last sentence really struck a chord with me, and I was thrilled to see it. I was a little hard on you in my response to your first posting, but you and I are a lot alike, so maybe I was talking to myself as much as to you. I too noticed my husband's moods were generally better after I started my 'home improvement' efforts.

I would bet that your own mood and attitude is also undergoing a significant change as time goes on. You have realized that the ability to accomplish what you have set your mind to has always been inside of you, and you were able to reach down in there and yank it out to where you could set it in motion!! Now that you know that you can do this, and see the results, I'm sure you feel more confident about yourself, your environment, and your relationships with others. It's very evident in your postings.

I'm very proud of you.

Barbara

• rjvt
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your progress! It is really inspirational.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Yes -- the act of clearing, cleaning and organizing really really changes my mood -- makes me feel "lighter and brighter" --- and my DH is positively sunny when the house is in order ......LOL!

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Day 6 and 7- (Saturday and Sunday)-

Decided to take two days off and really haven't done very much myself, but have also been flu-ish since Friday AND had a migraine all night last night, so maybe 3 hours sleep tops..?! The pain is still lingering on even now and it's almost 3pm Sunday afternoon.

On a lighter note----Since I haven't been feeling well, my DH took over with the de-cluttering and housework for me! Can you believe it? I'm totally beside myself! This is the best thing that's happened all week! He's done laundry and sorted thru his clothing and filling a big bag of shirts for donation! He also tackled a huge pile of papers that were on the desk (spent 3 hours doing this) and bagged trash to go out, etc. Right now he's in the kitchen preparing an early dinner! What more could I ask for? He's been totally amazing!

The only thing I can take credit for this weekend was adding to the donation box. The sink wasn't kept up as well as I'd like it to have been (was sparkling clean Saturday), but spent most of the day "trying" to rest and rid myself of this horrid migraine. I guess DH knew how important it was to keep the routine going, so filled in for me in more ways than one!

I am very thankful that these posts are inspirational to all of you. Planning to keep the ball rolling this week!

More later>>>>>

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

my DH took over with the de-cluttering and housework for me! Can you believe it? I'm totally beside myself! This is the best thing that's happened all week! He's done laundry and sorted thru his clothing and filling a big bag of shirts for donation! He also tackled a huge pile of papers that were on the desk (spent 3 hours doing this) and bagged trash to go out, etc

Oh, how wonderful!

I think sometimes our spouses will follow if we lead . Like us, they want company. It's a lonely task, tackling that all by yourself. Even mentally, it's lonely.

How neat to feel that you and he are on the same team.

Be sure to let him know how close to him it makes you feel.

We'll be looking forward to seeing next week's brags.

• premier
    16 years ago

Great news that your DH is participating.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Great news that you have a partner. Let's hope he has signed on for the long haul (pun intended) for this extensive project.

• marie26
    16 years ago

What a great DH you have. He's definitely a keeper (LOL). I know that mine wouldn't ever follow my lead. Oh, well.

Keep up the good work!

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Days 8 and 9-----Have been sick the entire weekend and still today, but managed to sort through and add to my donation box, however the neighbor didn't come by to pick these items up yet, so still looking at them. Planning to give her until the end of the week and if she's a "no show" will donate to Goodwill. Very frustrating to say the least.

I'm hoping to achieve more goals this week in the de-cluttering phase. My DH has been helping and in fact took over for me this weekend, so can't complain there. At least something is getting done!!

Will post more as I go......just wanted to touch base=)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

a little bit every day, that's all you need!

Thanks for touching base.

(many of us are living vicariously through you)

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Day 10- Dishes are done, more added to donation box AND have been working in our tiny bathroom today. Oh the junk and gunk! I have eliminated quite a bit thus far and still have cleaning to do. Using the same method as before, I removed everything in sight and boxed it to sort through later as this gives me an empty room to clean (or almost empty) AND saves my back! Took down the curtain rods and scrubbed them, scrubbed and disinfected the wastebasket and changed the liner, and sparkle cleaned the commode and sink. Also a once over for wall over the sink. Our bathroom is not finished, but this is all I could handle for one day, so continuing this adventure tomorrow first thing in the morning. My goal is to get this bathroom FINISHED!! I cannot believe that we have such limited space and yet I thought it necessary to add a pot full of lavender to the back of the commode! Needless to say it was trashed today and replaced by a small basket! Haven't decided what's going to occupy it yet, but sure we'll find something! (By the way, the lavender was one of those artificial thingies from Craft Mart anyway..lol!) I now have little over an hour before starting dinner, so thought I'd take time to post my progress=) OH! And before I forget, my sister and best friend have decided to do their 15 minutes per too and making great progress, so this is definitely contagious!! YAY!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Great job, adobe!! A clean bathroom is a wonderful thing. That is terrific you have been an inspiration to your sister and friend.

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

wow, sounds like you're having a great effect on LOTS of people--first, on you. Then, on your DH. Then, on us here. And now, your sister & your friend!

Congratulations on the continuous forward movement.

• chmpgntst
    16 years ago

Adobe, you inspired me! I was about to go to bed with dishes in the sink, toys all over the family room. I rarely do that, but I was just feeling beat.

But I read through this thread and got up, did the dishes, shined the sink, cleaned up the toys, and tossed 10!

Thanks for the motivation!

Amy (occasional lurker)

• lexi7
    16 years ago

Adobe, you have done well. Good job, but we miss you. Hopefully you are feeling better today. Don't fall into the trap of trying to find a good home for that clutter. Just toss it. The garbage men get mine in a box on top of the trashcan. It is kind of fun to watch them go through it and divide it between the three of them. Once one of them came by the house the night before and collected the stuff on top of the can. Please keep up the good work and keep in touch. You are an inspiration. Oh by the way, could you and your friend help each other de-clutter, so you could continue to enjoy your friendship?

• adobesunlight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today "should" be Day 16----

Day 10 (October 17th) was the last time I posted here, so have a lot of catching up to do! Key phrase "self discipline"....I have been allowing myself to become side-tracked for the past few days and don't want to lose myself in this, so have come back to the boards for motivation. It's Tuesday (trash day)----the box my neighbor was to pick up a week ago Monday went out to the curb before bedtime last night. No wonder we've been friends for so long! LOL! She is into the procratinating mode too! But.......like I warned her before, if it IS NOT picked up on Monday night it gets kicked to the curb.

Since I have been away for a few days and not checking in like I was doing before, things have gotten off track for me at home. No way to go back and explain what's taken place each day now as I don't remember what excuses I had for not doing my 15 minute routines. Anyone that has been following my posts here might recall that I was working on my tiny bathroom decluttering and cleaning. This job was started but not completed! During the times I did not post on the boards, things however were accomplished at home. We tossed an old radiator (had a short in it) from my dad's room, as well as the neighbor's box of goodie AND a huge trash bag of "junk", not to mention I started de-cluttering the bedroom (can see progress now). Still in the "de-cluttering and fluttering" stage, which means going from room to room with a trash bag in hand. Sometimes I don't always allow myself to see the trash from the functional items, or end up putting on the blinds because in my heart I'm not wanting to part with the item. This is why it takes so many trips with the bag in hand (fluttering)...LOL! What I view as being something necessary one day is viewed differently the next, so it's an on-going adventure for me. Since my father passed away last Thanksgiving, I am saving his room for last as I catch myself pondering over everything in there. This energy needs to be focused elsewhere for now (our living space to be exact).

Today is Day 16-----I have to keep in mind my 15 minute routine and just do it! As I've stated before.....you can get a lot accomplished in 15 minutes and it also serves as a starting point since getting motivated is generally hard for me to do. There is still hope!! I have not lost the motivation...just took a break to deal with other things that needed my energy and time! BTW, at least I don't have to backtrack and redo anything that has already been accomplished! WOOT! Rules were laid down and now being followed both by me AND my DH! He knows that the mess causes stress=) Just wish he'd learn rinse the bathroom sink after shaving! Hate scouring anyone's stubble droppings!

Will post results later in the day>>>>

• teacats
    16 years ago

Well Done!

Coming back to the routine always helps -- and I really relate to your idea:

"Mess Causes Stress"

Yes -- Yes Yes!!! :)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I am saving his room for last as I catch myself pondering over everything in there. This energy needs to be focused elsewhere for now (our living space to be exact).

I think this is so smart!

thanks for checking in. Each day, remember that there ar epeople crossing their fingers for you, hoping you'll get closer to your goal

• premier
    16 years ago

I'm happy to hear that you are still motivated but disappointed that you haven't accomplished more. I was hoping that you would have finalized the bathroom by now. Normally a bathroom is a one day job. Your original description made it sound like there was lots to be done. I'm concerned that you will lose motivation if you are limiting this project to 15 minutes sessions. Realistically, how many 15 minutes sessions would it take to organize your entire house? It sounds to me like that would be a very long time. If 2 months go by and you don't have an entire room organized, I would think that would put a damper on motivation. I know you have been going room to room throwing out things but I think you would be better off staying with one room until it is finished. The longer this takes, the more distractions will pop up.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

BTW, at least I don't have to backtrack and redo anything that has already been accomplished! WOOT! Rules were laid down and now being followed both by me AND my DH!

You know, this is great--this is really something to build on. The beginning of long-lasting habits.

Are you starting to see a difference in your home yet?

One thing about constant sessions, even if they're small: they can help you create a routine that will push you forward even if clear evidence of your progress isn't all that visible.

I'm reminded of when I started making my bed. If I don't make it now, it bugs me. And it's not just a visual cue; it's a physical, "muscle memory" routine.

Hopefully you'll get so that you can relax in the evening until you've DONE your 15 minutes, and so you'll go do them, every night.