Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Church rummage sale vs. Goodwill

Frankie_in_zone_7
16 years ago

For years I always took whatever clothes and clutter I had mustered up nerve to discard to Goodwill. Would have loved the idea of getting some $$ back from a garage sale, but even I knew that would ultimately not be best use of my time. It's not far out of my way on errands, so I'd take a sack of clothes here, some household items there.

Then I began participating in my church's semi-annual rummage sales. It made me feel even better to make the donations there because the money (not knowing how much of mine, really) went to causes I could see our church doing. Also, I felt less bad about my wasted or ill-thought out purchases that way. But because it is only 2x a year, I have to "save" it up in boxes in spare bedroom, etc. This past month I gathered up a big haul and got it there--always a chore because there's a limited time window for dropping off and it never fails, I will have a tough work schedule that particular week; I don't always mark everything myself, as some of the other ladies do a lot of pricing, but try to mark half or more. So that took a couple of hours, too, and I agonize over that a bit. (What do you mean, $2 for a wool suit!)

Partly what is a bit embarrassing is, a lot of my "stuff" is pretty good! Because some were impulse buys and not worn out, broken or whatever. So, the first time I really participated in this rummage sale, they reported the biggest $$ haul in history! And a near top take on another one. Second, there's this weird thing--don't know if any of you have had this experience--but, I hate the idea of taking a big load of stuff to Goodwill right BEFORE such a sale--then it seems like, why couldn't I have just held on a while.

It is almost like reverse hoarding--it feels good to take a LOT of stuff to the rummage sale, so I feel like I should save it up for 6 mos, and not just go hmm, what do I have this week, the week before the sale, that I might want to donate.

But, I have lots more to de-clutter and feel like I am finally on a roll--I always know or knew that I buy too much and save too much stuff, but it's kind of like finally, duh, I can't take care of all of this in my current lifestyle and only I can pitch it, and I am finally getting to where more is going out than coming in, and I'm not buying things I don't need.

So....as I am de-cluttering, I started putting it in the spare room boxes again, you know? But I'm thinking, NO---one box is okay, but take that box every week to Goodwill--forget the church thing for awhile until I feel more in control. Don't hoard up the discards--get them out. And, it's actually better that the fall sale is just over, because I can say, ooh, I would have to keep this around for 6 months for the next sale.

Anybody have this same issue at times?

Comments (5)

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

I'm having similar thoughts, on a little different note. We just had a big sale, and I'd like my stuff (of which there's plenty left) to go to a nice place I wouldn't mind shopping in! It's silly I know, since the real point is to just get rid of it. At this point though, after the amount of energy I've put into cleaning, wrapping and boxing everything, I need someone to come pick it up so that will also factor into my choice.

I understand why you'd want to be a benefactor for your church sale, but the cost here is in storing it. If they had storage available, it would be ideal. I personally don't think you can really be expected to save and store all your stuff until the next rummage sale rolls around. Hopefully, at some point you'll have a handle on the excess and won't have as much to give. There will come a time it won't be all up to you anymore! It's great to help your church, but do you really want the amount of stuff you provide to the yearly rummage sale to be your legacy?

I called my sister to see if she still wanted some plates our mother had given both of us. I wasn't interested in mom's collection, but she has daughters and the plates could be passed on. I told her I needed to know because if she didn't want them, they're outta' here. I'm packing them up and sending them to her, because I need to be done with these. I have no intention of storing them for her any longer.

Really, the choice is yours to do with your stuff what you want. Is is helpful to physically see how much accumulation you're letting go of? Or is it more healthy for you to just let it go? If your goal is (as mine) to reclaim expensive real estate, then you know what to do.

My things are going to several different charities; I'm choosing to spread it around!

• alisande
    16 years ago

Frankie, is it possible your church will store the stuff until the sale? That's what our library does. They accept book donations all year round for their big book sale in October.

Another possiblity is to look around for other rewarding outlets, such as thrift shops that benefit different charities. In our little town we have one that raises funds for the animal shelter (my favorite) and another that benefits the hospital auxiliary.

Susan

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Ah, an opportunity to speak on a religious note:

In church a few weekends ago, our Old Testament reading was Leviticus 19:9-18

And I was struck by this passage:

Quote:
    (9)"When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. (10)And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the LORD your God.

I decided that, though I am not a farmer, this applies to me. The "gleanings" in my life are the outgrown kids' clothes, the furniture I no longer need.

That I am not intended to wring every last drop of financial value from everything I have. But that I am supposed to leave the small-value things I don't need anymore, so that they can be used by those to whom their value will be larger.

And THAT is why $2 for a wool suit.

And that is why the idea is simply to move those things along. It's great if your church can make money from your "gleanings," but that's not God's point. He didn't tell those farmers to take the gleanings to the temple for the priests to sell, or even for the priests to eat.

You're supposed to pass up the earnings potential in order to make them available to the people who so badly need them.

Of course, your church rummage sale quite probably does benefit those to badly need a wool suit for $2. I know my mom's does--we were talking about this just last night. Her church (Trinity Lutheran in Des Moines) is in an economically sinking neighborhood, and its area residents who aren't members nonetheless come and buy things they like, need, etc., at a huge discount. And that is why they continue to do it, even though they don't make much money.

So take what you have to the Goodwill now, and consider this to be following God's rules. Then, as the sale gets closer, and you find yourself more motivated to save it for there, you can if you'd like.

What I want most for the stuff I donate is for it to end up in the hands of someone who will use it. And so I'd rather take kids' toys & clothes to the Children's Aid Society--it was too hard to swing this time around, but it's on my list. Bcs I believe they'll simply hand those clothes or toys to a kid who needs or wants them. Or they'll put the toys in the day-care centers they run, which will help them keep the centers both affordable and pleasant for the kids who need them.

• adobesunlight
    16 years ago

Have you thought about finding out if your area has a place designated for battered women (or spouses) and donate there? I did this one year and these women and children were thrilled to have goodies distributed because in most cases they come with only the clothes on their backs and or a small suitcase. It gave me great joy to know I was helping in some way. Just an idea=)

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What great comments! I do love the biblical reference--it is very grounding.

Yes, all of this, and my determination to keep de-cluttering, means, no saving up stuff for next spring! Get it out and into circulation.

The good thing about Goodwill is it does operate thrift stores here--so presumably it both distributes stuff directly and sells stuff to make $$ for cash needs.

One plan I have is to get lined up with the organization for helping "needy", or howsomever you would characterize it, professional women with building wardrobes. My occasional too-small, too young or just not right clothing discards often fit this category,are usually still in good condition and not crazy or super trendy, so an organization that specifically needs "work" type jackets, skirts etc would be a nice target.