Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand new huge walk in closet!! Help me organize it

Posted by randi66 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 14:07

Hi,

We've added a large 576 sq ft addition on to our house. This will become our bedroom. We have a huge walk in closet in the room too. They're still working on it, but I need to make a decision regarding racks and shelves and what not. What would you put in here to maximize the space and most importantly be organized.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v130/110/79/517192615/n517192615_214829_1952.jpg>

View from the room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand new huge walk in closet!! Help me organize it

ok, made a mistake with the last pic

o

Well -- check out The container Store -- and their Elfa collection OR check out California Closet for ideas too!

Next -- make lists:

How do hang or fold your shirts?
How do you hang trousers or pants (double or hanging straight?)
How many sweaters do you have?
Will this closet handle ALL seasons -- or do you have storage out-of-place for out-of-season wearables?
What furniture will you have in the bedroom? (dressers, armoire? a vanity for your jewelery?)
What about lighting in the closet?
What about having a full-length mirror (and a light?)
Do you sit or stand to put on shoes?
How many pairs of shoes do you have for each season --- and how do you really like them to be stored???
What about coats and outerwear???
How do store undies?
Do you want to be able to dress inside the closet -- or outside in the bedroom OR in the bathroom??

Just a few things to answer that you really help you determine what kinds of infrastructure (Talley Sue's term for shelving, baskets, hanging space etc.)

Hope this helps!!!

o

wow, that's great! and huge.

my vote would be to fill the long wall with one of those component-style systems. Like Elfa, but maybe one that uses "bookshelf sides" to support the shelves, instead of brackets underneath.

EasyClosets has that style
http://www.easyclosets.com/?gclid=CNnx3v6Epo8CFTaoGgodZ0a2SA

Against the back wall (the wall w/ the doors), you could hang stuff flat--belts, hats, jewelry, ties, things like that, that are nice to have out where they're visible. Or shoes, maybe, in bolted-to-the-wall canvas shoe pockets?

My vote as well: put a drop-down or fold-out ironing board and iron in there, for quick touch-ups of the clothes you're going to wear today/tomorrow. That could go on the opposite wall, too perhaps--I'm not sure how deep a set of cabinets you'd need for one that would go in the "wall unit" type shelving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here