Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oils + Such Storage - Carpentry Help -- TS?

Posted by holly_bc (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 14:00

Anyone is welcome to weigh in on this. I particularly mentioned TS as I understand she's a *wannabe Carpenter* and know she is a 'solution oriented / where there's a will . . .' kinda gal. :-))

All the base cabinets in my kitchen are framed. I would like to install a pull-out much as you often see for spices but larger to hold all the Crisco/OO/Ketchup yadda type bottles. I'd have to have this made but that isn't the challenge. I can see the bottom guide for said pullout attaching to the bottom of the cupboard no prob. The 'top' of the cupboard is the bottom of the drawer above. Problem there. As it's a middle cupboard (another on each side) I'm thinking a piece of 1/2" or whatever plywood/mdf could be nailed in from either side creating a place for the top mount guide. Does this sound feasible?

I'm renovating an old kitchen and as I loved the tile counter tops & long and short, base cabinets are base cabinets, didn't want to pull all those out and begin from scratch. However in making this decision, and in order to get what I want, I need to do a considerable amount of head scratching and figurin'!

I know I could ask this on Carpentry but I'm thinking I'd get more no's than yes's. I could ask this on Kitchen's but the majority are more into new stuff not converting old stuff. So I though I'd ask here as most are concerned with working with what they do have rather than rip/tear + start from square one. Make sense?

Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oils + Such Storage - Carpentry Help -- TS?

As a former kitchen designer and the wife of an amazing man -- you can do it. You need to use 1/2 to 3/4" plywood -- be sure to get it anchored into the wall. I'm not sure if your cabnets are solid wood but often the backs are 1/4" thick plywood or particle board.

Then use fairly long screws -- I'd like to see those go into the wall also. I'd use under-mount full-extension drawer glides and build a shallow drawer/box -- 1.5" deep. Be sure to get heavy enough glides. I'd like to see 75-100 lbs. If you ever stack cast iron skillets --- you'd be happier with the heaviest ones you can find.

Sounds like a good plan
Cathy

o
RE: Oils + Such Storage - Carpentry Help -- TS?

If you go to www.shelvesthatslide.com, you can find installation instructions for a face-frame pullout. (as well as a decent way to order a pullout the size you need)

There are drawer slides that attach to the back of the cabinet, intended for face-frame cabinets. Do get a full-extension one. (the one I linked to is 3/4 extension, but there should be a full-extension one). Here's how it'a installed

And there are brackets you can use to attach the drawer slide to the back of the cabinet.

And of course, you can install an extra piece of wood tothe side of the cabinet to fill in the gap (I think)

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuride center-mount slide for face-frame cabinets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here