Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronbre

feeding shredder

ronbre
14 years ago

well so far today I have emptied my shredder 6 times..and tossed out one bag of unshreddable spiral notebooks..going through one file drawer..

feels good..there is about 1/3 as much stuff in the drawer now and a lot of it is empty file folders ready to be used for something else.

good feeling most of the stuff was from 2006 thru 2008 stuff. I need to take out old when i put in new..like next month when our new house and car insurance paperwork comes..shred last years..i just get lazy.

but now that is done..and i'll try to keep ahead of it for 2009

Comments (10)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

You are my hero!!

I am anally organized in all other areas but incoming paper is my Achilles heel.

• ronbre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey I'm far from done on paperwork but have my current files done..still have to do recipes, warranties and instr book files, clippings and a few other areas..but i'll get it done..someday..

my shredder will be busy..after i did the shredding yesterday i spent another couple hours going through catalogs and magazines..am going to stop resubscribing..too many !!

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

I have tried and tried to unsubscribe to several catalogues, to no avail. I sent my nephew a one-year subscription to Highlights when he was a toddler. He is now in high school and I've since moved from CA to NY 6 yrs. ago and I'm still getting offers, complete with stickers!!!

Thank heaven for shredders :-)))

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Hey Mustangs - I stand by my recycling can when I go through my mail. Toss, toss, toss.

Those of you with active shredders may want to pick up a bottle of shredder oil at your local office max/staples/ etc. - keep the machine in working condition (I don't know whats in it, probably light machine oil, but it isn't expensive)

• mvastian
    14 years ago

Why do you need to shred all that paper? (Except if you use it for mulch or as packing material) isn't it enough if you shred only the pieces of paper with personal info on them?

• ronbre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i shred everything for mulch, i have mulched a 40 x 40 garden just since i bought my shredder..i cover the paper with other ..prettier..mulch..like bark..but i put the paper on first ..

i also shred a lot of cardboard..the kind that food products come in esp..the cereal box weight stuff..

i don't HAVE to shred it..but it sure cuts back on garbage..and we don't have a recycling place nearby here.

wish we had curb side recycling..we have to drive a long way for just a one day a month recycling place and it usually is full before you get through the line.

i'd rather be able to recycle right here at home what i can

• ronbre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just took another bag of shredded cardboard and paper out to the garden yesterday, even put it on top of a little snow.

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

Re: the little pieces of paper with personal info - In addition to the outside mailing address, nearly every catalogue has an inside order blank which also has name and mailing address on it. Every year when the medicare season opens, we are inundated with advertising for other health plans. Add to that the other advertising - I look through each one, as often names and/or addresses are inserted within the mailing.

Call me anal or paranoid (or too much time on my hands ;-), but identity theft is not an option.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Jessica, I'm with ya' - I too review my mail at the recycle bin before walking into the house. I have so much paper work between the Mustangs (501 3c) and my mother's estate coupled with a fear of the IRS that I accumulate a lot. Then there are personal items that need DH's input, but getting a sit down with him rarely happens.

• ronbre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that is a good reminder about the order blanks or info inside of catalogs and magazines that could be stolen..at least shredding those things eliminates that..sure it is hard on the shredder using it every day..but the cost of the shredder wasn't that much and it still works perfectly after nearly a year of daily shredding...it wouldn't cost that much to replace, but the value it has given me has been well worth it