Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahoov2

What type of company or should I DIY closet organizers?

dahoov2
9 years ago

Hi, I'm adding an addition to the house and the top floor will be a nice master closet. I have some questions. I can't seem to find pricing on say Closet Factory. What I found was someone who put down a 7500 DEPOSIT. No way do I want to spend that kind of money. I was thinking under $3k if I can help it. I was wondering people's experiences with various companies, or since everything I want seems "easy" to build, perhaps we should attempt our own?

Here's what I am designing:

double hanging racks (with pull down rods) when you walk in, on both sides. One for him and one for her. Or maybe he gets top rack on one side and I get the rest ;). So 24' of hanging space all total with 3' wide area to stand in (closet is 7' wide). Then on the right wall I'll have a window 3' wide but 2' high and under it to the floor I want a shoe rack. So 4' high x3' wide. Ditto on another wall in the back. So two shoe racks (I'm thinking 42-48 pairs of shoes held). On the left side of the right wall shoe rack, I'm thinking of putting a pull out tire rack and belt rack (say 12"). that leaves 2' for my jewelry armoir on that right wall. On the back wall I want just drawers and/or cubbys and/or shelving all along the wall (it's about 11'). In the back (it's an L shaped closet) I'll have long hanging stuff (maybe 2' I only have half a dozen items and a long coat). the rest will be just box storage on that L.

I don't see anything complicated except if I put drawers in.... and the pull out tie rack/belt rack. I want the double rods to have a pull down rod too. Should I attempt to built all this myself or pay someone? If paying, who???? Who's decent but not too expensive? I saw some sites online but there was no configuration options for an "L" shaped closet. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really wanted wood in there which is why I thought I'd try to build them. I mean it's just nails/screws and a little cuttings, sanding and painting right? LOL I am not a carpenter though... but we have installed crown molding and built window cornices and I kind of feel like this is on the same scale?

I have been trying to get closet maid designs but they don't have my shape ;( Our nearest IKEA is a 3 hour drive from here...

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Go to ana-white.com and look at her closet stuff. It's fabulous.

double hanging racks (with pull down rods) when you walk in, on both sides Rev-a-shelf has them as uninstalled components.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_268098-1214-CPDR-3548_0__?productId=3055169

If you can build a box for it, you are good to go. BTW, building a square box is not always easy.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want (getting a plan would be one of the reasons to go with a company--their design skills).

Are you anywhere near an Ikea? Because their design services for Elfa are free.
    And you might find that Elfa has some components that you'd be willing to use. Or, you'd realize that Elfa has components, but so do other people, and you can incorporate them to save yourself some time.

(Do you know that you can buy drawer boxes from companies that make them? Google "drawer boxes" and shop away! Then all you have to make is the outer shell.)

I second the recommendation to go to ana-white.com; take a look at her info on the Kreg jig (and go look at Kreg jig videos on YouTube). I've made stuff w/ the Kreg jig, and it's not difficult (though I wish I had purchased a square of some sort earlier; getting a perfectly perpendicular cut to the lumber was easy since the lumberyard (not HD!) cut it for me).
    But it would still have been nice to have a square, or a corner clamp.

If you've got room to work, and a table saw (or a helpful lumberyard like mine; they claim to charge $1 per cut, but when I have a whole ton of cutting to turn a 4'x8' sheet of plywood into shelving, they tend to charge m3 $5 to $10 to do it all), you could plan it out and get what you need.

You can also use "pilaster strips" for adjustable shelves.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow; great post! Thank you so much for your response. I went to that site (what a phenomenal site!). I will make sure if I do it, I'll get clamps and a square. We have a great saw (circular, jig and a mitre saw but no band saw). We've made some things before. We put up a shed (but it was a kit), we built a ramp for it, built cornices for the windows and did some base and crown molding. Took a while to get crown molding though! Wasted a few pieces as it was difficult to get close cuts that lined up. But I can live without crown in the closet.

Alas, the nearest Ikea is in Fredericksburg, about a three hour ride from here. I just went to Easy Closets and had them do a free layout/pricing for me. But that's just one bid ;) I need to do cost effective for this and the laundry room cabinets because I'm splurging on a fancy shower and heated floors. I'm reusing windows also to save money and will pilfer any extra lumber from the extension build I might use in the closets. Heck, if I'm paying for it, I want it! So 2x4's and plywood-a-plenty I'm hoping.

I LOVE that you said they don't charge much for cuts at a lumber yard. I know Lowes does one or two cuts free but don't want to do a lot of cuts. Because you said that, I'll check out other yards..Thanks for that tip!!!!

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Don't use a jigsaw to cut wood for this sort of application--you need a perfectly perpendicular, and a jigsaw's blade will bend. (Been there, done that.)

Your circular saw will probably work, but you should use a square of some kind to check the angle of the blade.

You probably won't need 2x4s; the bookcase-style boxes built w/ the Kreg jig are really sturdy.

If you did crown molding, the Kreg jig will be a snap (you need a drill, of course).

Buying the pocket-hole clamps (and the jig itself) will add to the cost of the project, but things will come out so much better (and go together much more quicky). Plus, you'll have them for all the other bookcases you decide you want to build, and the storage bench for the patio, etc.

I don't know how other lumberyards are about cuts, but I absolutely think it's worth asking around at the non-big-box ones.

Also, I once was going to have my lumberyard just do the ripping (since that's hard to do on your own; crosscuts are easy w/ a circular saw or a table saw). They ended up insisting that they do it all, "it will be so much easier for you," and they didn't charge more.
    But if you don't find a yard like mine, consider having them to the really tough stuff (ripping the plywood lengthwise into boards all the same size) and leave you the more manageable stuff (crosscuts).

And if you end up needed (or wanting) to do that stuff yourself, Kreg has some great jigs for saws!

Kreg Rip-Cut jig
    https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/saw-attachments/p79/rip-cuttrade/

Kreg Square-Cut jig for crosscuts
    https://www.kregtool.com/store/c47/saw-accessories/p264/square-cuttrade/

(there are good YouTube videos of these jigs in action--worth a look)

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd not mind having to buy the tools. Hubby loves to do that. Now that we have a nice workroom with room to spare, should be no problem. I think the savings in the long run and doing it myself/ourselves will be something to be proud about....

I'm adding a laundry room as well. I am saving money by buying my own stock cabinets. I'll buy quality but I'll need to make one shelf with a hanging pole on it, and I want to make my own "sign" and also an ironing board hanger. each room I like building or doing one crafty item so I can say "I did that!". :)

I'm spending so much on that master bathroom (I want it to be high end like my kitchen is) and the addition as a whole, I need to cut corners somewhere, so the laundry room and closet it is!

The best part about this forum is the help you get (tips). It's much appreciated!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

A nice sliding compound miter saw is what you need. You can get adequate for home users models for cheap. Buy it, use it and sell it on Craigslist.

Same with a compressor and some nail guns.

Christmas and Father's day are the best times to tool shop.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh we have those two things already! The nail gun is something we got recently (we had to install a piece of toe molding and did some moldings and my cornices).

We went to a place called Harbor Freight. Wonder how we ever did without that nail gun now. .

I guess I don't need much... just the clamps, wood, nails and square! :)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The clamps that hold corners in place are extremely useful.

Kreg jig ... makes assembling stuff far easier, and screws hold better than nails.