Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Containers to store powdered laundry addiitves?

Posted by brutuses (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 13:24

Can someone recommend a store where I can buy or more specifically a container that will hold powdered laundry additives like Oxi and Borax? The borax especially is messy because it comes in a box that doesn't close back neatly.

I'm looking for something with a top that snaps up easily. I have arthritis really bad in my fingers so I can't get a grip on large tops turn turn to open and close. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Containers to store powdered laundry addiitves?

Brutuses, I just went through this exact dilemma. I love, love Oxy Powder but at the wholesale clubs it comes in a large box that is very messy and cumbersome to use. I scearched the internet and found the perfect solution for me at Tupperware of all places. Look up the Access Mates Large container, it's $31.50. A bit pricey but worth my sanity. I can refill the Access Mates with a big, new box of Oxy Powder when I still have a 2-3 inches left in the Access Mates. The Oxy Powder scoop fits in/out of the little flip up top perfectly and you take off the whole lid only when you want to refill. The flip top seals very well and is easy to open and close. Hope this helps.

o

I just read this post over on the Laundry Room forum. Maybe her idea will work for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Store Coffee Dispenser

o

Thanks so much, I'm going check those thngs our right now.

o

sanita, I really like the one touch canister. It looks like the opening is big enough to scoop out contents comfortably. I think I'll order one and give it a try.

Thanks again

o

Now I just wish that container had a handle!

Since we live in an apt. and have to carry our detergents, etc., over to the machine.

o

You're so right, a handle would make it perfect.

o

I have that coffee dispenser that lissa linked to. I use mine for coffee. I could see how it would work for oxyclean. Clever!

o

I know this is an old post, but I use an ice cream pail for the Borax. Nice handle, easy to open and seals quite tight. I have a small pail with a handle that was actually from cheese ball snacks and I use that for dishwasher detergent.

When I had to go to the laundry room in the apartment I hated grunting a big container of detergent so I'd transfer a portion to a smaller container. If it happened today, I'd see if 3 - 1# coffee cans would fit into an ice cream pail or use a square pail or something to carry it. One for each item. Could even put a few dryer sheets in there if you use them.

o

with some things you want to make sure that the container is airtight, so you don't get a lumpy solid mass of laundry additive. I think that the cannisters that seal with an airtight lid might work well if you want something attractive, even glass ones so you can see what is inside would be cool.

o

I've been using a glass 'penny candy' jar for years. It holds a gallon of powdered detergent, has a wide mouth so I can use the scoop and not pick up the jar. I have it on the bottom shelf of the cabinet over the washer. It is heavy but I don't lift it except to refill it once in a while. I leave the lid off and don't get lumps.

The link below is for a small one. Mine is gallon size. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny Candy Jar for detergent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here