Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

Containers to store powdered laundry addiitves?

brutuses
15 years ago

Can someone recommend a store where I can buy or more specifically a container that will hold powdered laundry additives like Oxi and Borax? The borax especially is messy because it comes in a box that doesn't close back neatly.

I'm looking for something with a top that snaps up easily. I have arthritis really bad in my fingers so I can't get a grip on large tops turn turn to open and close. Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)

• sanita
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I just went through this exact dilemma. I love, love Oxy Powder but at the wholesale clubs it comes in a large box that is very messy and cumbersome to use. I scearched the internet and found the perfect solution for me at Tupperware of all places. Look up the Access Mates Large container, it's $31.50. A bit pricey but worth my sanity. I can refill the Access Mates with a big, new box of Oxy Powder when I still have a 2-3 inches left in the Access Mates. The Oxy Powder scoop fits in/out of the little flip up top perfectly and you take off the whole lid only when you want to refill. The flip top seals very well and is easy to open and close. Hope this helps.

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I just read this post over on the Laundry Room forum. Maybe her idea will work for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Store Coffee Dispenser

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, I'm going check those thngs our right now.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sanita, I really like the one touch canister. It looks like the opening is big enough to scoop out contents comfortably. I think I'll order one and give it a try.

Thanks again

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

Now I just wish that container had a handle!

Since we live in an apt. and have to carry our detergents, etc., over to the machine.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're so right, a handle would make it perfect.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I have that coffee dispenser that lissa linked to. I use mine for coffee. I could see how it would work for oxyclean. Clever!

• cynic
    15 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I use an ice cream pail for the Borax. Nice handle, easy to open and seals quite tight. I have a small pail with a handle that was actually from cheese ball snacks and I use that for dishwasher detergent.

When I had to go to the laundry room in the apartment I hated grunting a big container of detergent so I'd transfer a portion to a smaller container. If it happened today, I'd see if 3 - 1# coffee cans would fit into an ice cream pail or use a square pail or something to carry it. One for each item. Could even put a few dryer sheets in there if you use them.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

with some things you want to make sure that the container is airtight, so you don't get a lumpy solid mass of laundry additive. I think that the cannisters that seal with an airtight lid might work well if you want something attractive, even glass ones so you can see what is inside would be cool.

• lov2garden
    15 years ago

I've been using a glass 'penny candy' jar for years. It holds a gallon of powdered detergent, has a wide mouth so I can use the scoop and not pick up the jar. I have it on the bottom shelf of the cabinet over the washer. It is heavy but I don't lift it except to refill it once in a while. I leave the lid off and don't get lumps.

The link below is for a small one. Mine is gallon size. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny Candy Jar for detergent