Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobsterbird

Use it or lose it

lobsterbird
16 years ago

Yesterday I finished switching my summer and winter tops. While I was putting winter items into drawers, I made a separate pile of light sweaters and long-sleeve tees that didn't get much wear in the last couple of years. They are in good shape and fit well, but for some reason they have been neglected. I've challenged myself to either wear these things or donate them -- use it or lose it. Before I pull out any of my favorite clothes, I have to look in this pile first. I'm giving myself until December 1 to wear these items. I'll be heading to a warmer climate for two weeks in Nov. so I'm giving myself a little extra time. I'm going to do a second round involving cold-cold weather clothing during mid-winter.

Anyone else want to take the challenge to use it or lose it?

Tina

P.S. -- When I did my closet weeding this summer, these clothes weren't part of it since they were packed away to moth proof.

Comments (21)

• alisande
    16 years ago

Sounds like something I need to do, Tina. I'm still in the process of getting out winter things (it's still warm here, amazingly), so I'll take your challenge.

Now, I want to know: Is it Tina's Old House? Or Tina Sold House? :-)

Susan

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I need to do this--I'm sort of pulling things out of the winter-clothes box, and still need to put summer clothes away.

• drjinx
    16 years ago

I am wearing a neglected pair of pants today. It was wear them or toss them. I will revisit the toss question again at the end of the day, but I think I like them enough to keep.

Some other items were not so lucky, but I posted about that elsewhere. Some other items need to be less lucky! But I'll get to that. ;)

Jean Marie

• jannie
    16 years ago

I still have the yellow sweater I wore in my high school year book picture in 1970. Guess it's time to cull my sweaters,too.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Hey Tina, Just a heads up...yesterday at 5:30pm it was 93 degrees here. Have a safe trip!

Cathy

• Frizzle
    16 years ago

I'm in too.

I love sweaters! I have a seperate cabinets just for them. But it occurs to me that I wear only a select few, so they are on the "list".

I've been trying the same thing with my closet too. I wear something, after I launder it I put it back with the hanger going the other direction. At the end of the school year things that are still in the front position ----> GO!

• lobsterbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cathy. That's crazy! Hopefully, the weather will have cooled down a bit by mid-Nov.

• lobsterbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops, I forgot the rest of my response!! See, you get me thinking about hot, sunny weather and I lose my head!! Actually, I can't put all my summer clothes away because I need a few things to take on my trip. (Wait, all I have to do is check my packing list -- thanks Celtic!)

Susan, it's Tina's Old House.

Jannie, your HS sweater cracks me up!

Frizzle, I tend to feel the cold so I stock up. I love them, too.

Tina

• marie26
    16 years ago

I have always thought it was Tina Sold House. I'm glad to know the real name.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

one thing to consider:

Don't force yourself to wear it in order to justify keeping it.

Force yourself to CONSIDER IT, and if you would rather wear something from your stash of *good* clothes, then this means you can let go of the sweater you won't wear.

• lobsterbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

TS, you are right -- no forced wearings to justify keeping. That would defeat the whole purpose of this exercise. I do think I will try a few items on so I remember what slacks or skirts they pair up nicely with. Then I'd be more likely to at least consider them. Forcing is the least of my problems, actually!!! Once I get an idea in my head about an article of clothing (based on a particular mood on a particular day), I rarely change my mind about it. A little forcing might be helpful!

Tina

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Have a good trip Tina. (Ha - I also thought it was 'Tina Sold House' all this time!)

It has ben a long while, over six months?, since I reversed all the hangers in my closet. I am actually surprised that 95% of what is in there I have worn. I see the unused stuff hanging backwards is either sentimental or for very unique situations. Either way, I'm not sure I want to unload it.

I'm feeling that I did a pretty good job culling in the spring. Maybe too good - I'm up 8 pounds and seem to have only one pair of fat pants for fall/winter. Oops. On balance though, no regrets. It has been a whole lot easier to dress these last months.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

I threw out a bunch of clothes today, didnt even look twice at them. I guess I really dont get attached.(except for my comfy jeans) LOL
    cyn

• lobsterbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My goodness, everyone must think I'm a realtor or just moved. When GW did away with the capital letters in everyone's handle, mine became confusing. I wish I had used spaces to separate the words.

Wore a black cotton sweater from the pile today because it was just right for fall weather. I enjoyed wearing it and actually received a compliment. Tried on two other sweaters, and unless they look better with different bottoms, they're on they're on their way out of here.

Celtic, that is great you have worn almost all your clothes. It's so hard to anticipate those ups and downs of the scale. If you need to shop, at least you'll have a clear idea of what you need with all the junk weeded out.

Cyn, I wish I were more like you and less attached. You're on such a roll. Weeding clothes and shoes are the worst for me.

Tina

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Couple pairs of black pants from Goodwill and now I'm good to go!

That was easy.

• lobsterbird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are you telling me that you waltzed into Goodwill and came out with two pairs of black pants? Just this morning? You are too much!

• dedtired
    16 years ago

This is something I struggle with all the time. I have perfectly good things in my closet that I never wear. They fit, they look okay, but I just seem to always reach past them.

My son's girlfriend said that she and her friends have decided that some clothes just have bad karma, so they need to go.

I have to switch seasons this weekend now that cooler temps have finally arrived. My bedroom is a mess because it is such a pain to hang things up, my closet is so jammed. It is not small either!

I need to get really ruthless and send the bad karma clothes off to the thrift shop. You have given me inspiration!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Clothes are like people. With some of them, you really "click."

Others are perfectly nice, you have a friendly relationship, etc., but they're not the ones you think of first.

And still others are awful; they bring out the worst in us, they're too high maintenance.

We know what to do w/ the first and the last categories.

but we don't know what to do w/ the middle, in either situation.

One thing I've learned from living in a city of MILLIONS of people: It's OK not to spend energ on perfectly nice people if you don't really enjoy them that extra bit.

Don't take up their time,a dn they can go find friends (or a closet) that will value them more.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

YES I took your challange. I just listed my floor loom and EVERYTHING that goes with it on Craig's list. This will clear out a lot of big stuff when it sells. Sad to let it go. I have not done any weaving for 5 years and the guilt of having it out in my studio taking up so much space and space in my brain was getting to me. It is time to let it go to another weaver. Sigh. This is HUGE for me!! I also have a buyer for an antique chair I am ready to turn loose of. Also considering selling an antique trunk. It is full of weaving materials so when they go I do not need the trunk. :^))

Chris

• susanjn
    16 years ago

Wow, Chris, that must have been difficult. But it will allow someone else to experience the joy of weaving.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Susanjn,
    Yes it was difficult in a way. But the good news is it is SOLD!!! WOW that was fast. Also sold an antique ladies chair and will be sending an extra lap top computer off to my Mom. Talk about a purging weekend. Yah this is the hoarding Mom but I am hoping the laptop will help her to be able to keep in closer touch with me and maybe I can be supporting to her. She said sister is moving out. WOW Another shocker!!!! Chris

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz