Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

But I was all set to declutter the soup tureen!

talley_sue_nyc
9 years ago

I was given a soup tureen at my bridal shower. It's not quite my style; a little too country, not sophisticated enough. But it's not screamingly so.

However, I only used it twice. Once for spiked eggnog at a party (it was annoying bcs the lid was in the way) and once when my DD made soup at the age of 10.

I do make a butternut squash soup at Thanksgiving, but I put it in the crockpot in order to keep it hot on the buffet (since I serve buffet-style, or else on two tables), and bcs I'm just not into pouring a heavy load of soup into a tureen.

So in the latest round of "releasing," I decided to lighten up the china cabinet (wall unit, really). (I said, "I never use this, and if I decided I needed one, I could get one more my style.")

I felt really good about it. A little smug, even. And certainly freer and lighter.

Then...

We're having friends over, and they're vegetarian. One of my options was to serve a lentil soup. Someone suggesting putting it in a tureen to fancy it up.

I also ran into a bunch of interesting soups in the course of researching meals. Carrot ginger soup; etc.

The stuff to go to the thrift shop is still in the corner of the living room (The morning of the dinner is the first day that works to take it there, plus it's been inspiring me to add to it). I could dig that tureen out.

What should I do?

Comments (28)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Dig it out and make more soups

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I fear, however, that it will be a case of planning and no execution.

• User
    9 years ago

I can relate. My MIL gave us this "Boston baked beans" pot (like the one below) and I couldn't wait to deaccession it, thinking I had plenty of containers I could use on the (rare) occasions I make baked beans. Last week I made baked beans for a block party and really wished I had it back. I was surprised and chagrined yet I don't think I will go so far as to buy another one.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of my Facebook friends suggesting I consider: What would I use if I didn't have it? Something else I already have?

Maybe the crockpot liner (though it's not aesthetically any more coordinated than the tureen is--a little less, actually).
    I have lots of of big serving bowls, but none w/ lids, or even w/ narrower tops.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

actually, if I were going to own a soup tureen, I'd rather have one that looks more like my china.

Like this one:
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/soup-tureen-with-ladle/s214825

Or this one, which *is* my china pattern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wedgwood-Solar-White-Bone-China-Oval-Covered-Serving-Dish-Soup-Tureen-Shape-225-/261620914826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3ce9d25a8a

In a way, I'm sort of tempted to try to get that one from my china set; I might actually use it for non-soup stuff, since it matches. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: another tureen I'd like better than the one I have

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice thoughts, SloeGinFizz. Thanks!

But--if one is serving a rustic lentil soup (you're right, it would look a little weird in a china tureen), what -would- one serve it in, if not the cooking pot?

(And the other thing is, I might make soup twice a year, to be honest.)

• patty2430
    9 years ago

I was given a soup tureen in the early 80s by my SIL. Have never used it, and if I were serving soup at a gathering, would use something that would keep the soup nice and hot; slow cooker, etc. Just moved my MIL in with us last week, and I need all the extra room I can get, so the soup tureen will probably be history---unless---- someone can give me a creative idea for the thing...garden junk, etc. Happy Halloween!

• sloedjinn
    9 years ago

Unless you're serving a lot of people, I'd probably dish up right from the pot on the stove and bring bowls out to the table. If you've got a big crowd, keep it in the crock. Or if you've got an enamel Dutch oven, like a Lecreuset, it's perfect for cooking your soup in and serving. Probably keep the soup warmer longer than a tureen.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Thousands of soups. I don't want/need a special bowl for them. It would make a nice planter on the porch?

• lafdr
    9 years ago

Ummm, considering you have had it for years and only used it twice, I think you are just having giver away remorse and imagining all of the things you WILL use that tureen for if you keep it. The reality is your lifestyle is unlikely that different than it has been, and you haven't been needing or using it.

That reluctance to give things away and imagining all of the potential future uses is what makes many of us hold onto things too long.

I can get pangs of guilt and missing remembering x item I gave away. Even though I had not used it for years it is like missing a friend.

I say use it with your guests for the lentil soup or ? and if you fall in love with it again keep it, if no, give it away so someone else can love it!!

How on earth have you been getting by all of these years without using it ?? In fact, I have never owned a soup tureen, so apparently one can get by quite nicely without one : )

When in doubt, I tell myself that if I give away an unused object and miss it horribly, I give myself permission to replace it with one I like more. Usually I never do rebuy it. But just giving myself that permission makes it easier to give away an unused object.

Lafdr

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I got lazy and didn't dig it back out. I'm content. I didn't make soup for my guests anyway.

I've decided if I ever did need a tureen, I have a few cookie jars I'll use instead (since they have lids).

lafdr's point is the one that really made the difference:

The reality is your lifestyle is unlikely that different than it has been, and you haven't been needing or using it.

Well, that and the fact that I don't like it that much.

Well, that and the fact that I'd have had to dig it out from the -bottom- of the already-packed box, LOL!

Oh, and another thing that went through my head?
    If my lifestyle -did- change, and I -did- start making more soup for guests? I can always buy one that I like. I found some that are very nice, and not a ton of money.

This post was edited by talley_sue_nyc on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 18:00

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your tureen purge, as well as the other things in the box!

I purged a lot of stuff last year, one room at a time. I found that once I started getting rid of things (and cleaning/organizing the space where those things were stashed), I was increasingly excited about moving on to the next room.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I got some serious momentum going too! It's really useful. In my case, it even bled over onto my DH for a little bit.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I'd rather serve my soup in a crock pot that'll keep it hot. Or in one of my large, enameled cast iron pots -- that can be brought to the table, and they're attractive.

I tend to over-do all things kitchen related, but I've never owned a soup tureen, and I have no desire to own one.

Give it away and don't look back.

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

OMG-how timely, no really! I love organizing and this used to be my #1 forum. However, I haven't been here in a year.

Anyway, today I decided to display 5 sets of 8 crystal glasses and stemware that I bought years ago in Germany. It's been packed up in the garage...how stupid is that.

Here is the ironic part (how often on this forum have we talked about a soup tureen...maybe never??). I took down the soup tureen that has been displayed for years and NEVER used so I can use the space for the crystal. I struggled with the decision but committed to taking the tureen to the consignment shop. That was 5 hours ago, then I come here and find Tally_Sue in the same quandary.

BTW, I went to a pot luck dinner party last night and brought Roasted Red Pepper Bisque. I served it from a crockpot to keep it warm. It got rave reviews, then it has been a favorite for several years.

Good to be back!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just wanted to highlight this gem from earlier:

When in doubt, I tell myself that if I give away an unused object and miss it horribly, I give myself permission to replace it with one I like more. Usually I never do rebuy it. But just giving myself that permission makes it easier to give away an unused object.

Lafdr

That's sort of what I did, and it was great advice. Thanks, Lafdr!

• wrock99
    9 years ago

We now will begin packing to sell our house and the urge to rid unwanted items now is great. That soup tureen is staring me in the face. We must sell our house while waiting until spring to begin new construction, which means storing, and living without. (will probably live with FIL the winter months)

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Talley Sue NYC, I thought of you Friday. I was haunting one of my favorite thrift stores hoping for a few "vintage Christmas décor" items and saw three, yes THREE, soup tureens. None were "pretty." All were rustic, but silly rustic, not "hearty soup rustic."

They made me smile and I sent you good tureen vibes.

And as for "vintage Christmas décor" items? I hit the 75% off jackpot. I picked up...

a full box of 12 gold Shiney Brite Christmas balls - 25 cents.

A ceramic elf, reading a book, circa the '40s - 25 cents.

Two boxes of six miniature Roman brand brass musical angels, - 25 cents each.

Two teapot ornaments for my kitchen tree, one blown glass, the other heavy speckled graniteware, yes, -25 cents.

I also got a 16"x20" custom framed picture - with non-glare glass. The glass will be removed and cut to fit some smaller frames already hung on my gallery wall. The frame will be redonated. Sadly, I had to pay $1 for this. The local frame shop charges $8-$12 dollars for any non-glare glass cut up to 8"x10" size. I can cut it myself at the base hobby shop for free, so I feel thrifty! I think it will cover all my remaining 5x7 and 6x4 frames.

• ladykemma2
    9 years ago

get one you like.

i use mine for compost bucket.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caroline, thanks for thinking of me!

And isn't it funny how soup tureens end up being superfluous. And are so often rustic, not in the least elegant.

• salem1772
    9 years ago

My white soup tureen makes a lovely cache pot for a houseplant. Back in the day (1940's), my wordsmith grandfather wrote a hilarious poem for a friend who had repurposed a chamber pot as a cachepot. The poem is entitled "Ode to a Chamber Pot." His highbrow language about a chamber pot that had been elevated to a higher station in life is too funny!

• User
    9 years ago

lizb_1772, and the poem goes.................like this?.........

• Colleen Bohn
    6 years ago

Made a small fairy garden out of my old tureen or turn into a succulent / cactus garden, use as a fresh fruit bowl

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

So, it has been over a year since you got rid of the soup tureen. Do you miss it yet?

I thought that maybe you were going to relate how you started using it and now you use it all the time.

They are so old fashioned and I cannot see how they are that useful since the food in them would cool off so quickly. I would prefer to serve soup as a plated meal. Maybe things were different where a servant could tend the soup tureen and it would keep full and warm. It doesn't really make much sense anymore.

So, DO you miss it?

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't miss that soup tureen in the least!
    In fact, when I saw this had floated toward the surface, I had this flood of relief that I DON'T have a soup tureen anymore.

One thing I left go of when it went away is the guilt that it induced--guilt that I didn't like its aesthetic; guilt that I don't serve pastina soup with almost every meal the way the in-law who gave it to me thought I should.

I'm lighter by more than the tureen!

And, I have never wanted to buy a replacement!

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

I identify with your feelings 100%!!!!

Getting rid of the guilt is the best part, allowing yourself to be free of thinking maybe you need to do something that you really don't want to do.

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Soup tureens are a throwback to another era. Useless now unless you entertain constantly.