Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smom40

Quick cleaning tips - Add your best ones here...

smom40
18 years ago

Been thinking about this because of what I just went through...and now my 'cleaning impaired' friend is starting this process because her MIL is not just coming, she's STAYING for ELEVEN days. *eyes buggin*

What are you best tips for cleaning something FAST or EFFICIENTLY?

I figure that even the best cleaners and organizers amongst us can learn something new. I know that I always welcome new ideas, especially if it makes a heinous task go faster/better/easier...

So what are your tips? Mindset? Priorities? Methods?

Comments (13)

• smom40
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For me:

Clorox wipes for cleaning the outside of toilets and the tops of counters. I bless the person that invented those things.

(Just don't flush them. Ask me how I know! *eek*)

"Ultimate duster" cloths. FABULOUS for knocking down dust. If something is dusty and not 'dirty', they make quick work and you're not spraying stuff and leaving a residue that attracks more dust.

Baby wipes in the car, even if you don't have a 'baby'. Great for dust, cleaning up spills, cleaning off the dashboard, and kids grimey faces.

Having cleaning products in major areas like the kitchen and bathrooms. If I don't have to hunt for it, I'm more likely to use it in a timely fashion.

As to my mindset, I'm at my quickest when I don't get off on tangents. This can be an effort but I'm getting better at it. If I go to 'clean the bathroom' that I don't get distracted by the laundry...Staying on purpose. Not spending too much time deciding upon whether or not to throw something out. If I don't own it, I don't have to clean it, manage it, or put it away.

Two things that instantly make my place look better. Moving all clutter to a single area and running a vacuum.

• sheriz6
    18 years ago

Everything smom40 said, plus I'd recommend one of the FlyLady feather dusters. I HATE dusting, and this allows me to dust quickly and efficiently, and without moving all the little decorative do-dads. I was stunned at how much dust came out of it the first time I shook it off outdoors.

My plan of attack is pretty basic: de-clutter (either stuff the junk someplace the company won't see it, or actually take the time to put it away properly, depending on how much time I have), quick dust, quick vacuum, plump the pillows and I'm ready.

I just wish I had a quick plan of attack for cleaning up my kitchen, that always seems to take forever!

• smom40
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The kitchen for me is more a psychological thing than a physical thing. First thing that I do is load the dishwasher and get it running. It gives me the sense that someone is 'helping' me. LOL (okay, it's my fantasy)

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

1) good music...
    2) good shoes
    3) First.. trsh bag in hand walk through each room and pick up ALL the trash
    4) walk through house ( or room) with laundry basket and pick up all stuff that does not belong in that room
    5) walk back trough rooms dropping stuf where it SHOULD BE.. don't just dump it.
    6) dust
    7) sweep
    8) windex
    9) reward self with ice cold diet drink!

Maddiemom

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Mindset is everything for me.

Take 5 minutes and have you and the kids pick up after yourselves every single day!!!!

Soap is soap and you don't need heavy duty stuff when you keep things wiped up daily. I only have windex and simple green around.

Everyday:
    Pick up the stuff. Takes 5 minutes if you do it daily.
    Everyday, wipe the kitchen and bathroom down. Takes 5 minute if you do it daily.
    Everyday, sweep heavy traffic floors so dirt doesn't go everywhere. Takes 5 min. if you do it daily.

I think what I'm trying to get to here, with all of this running on, is that there isn't a certain way to clean. Keeping the house picked up and staying on top of the cleaning just has to become a daily thing.

While your MIL is there, have her help you get in some habits like doing the evening pick up with the kids.

Gloria

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

If it's quick cleaning because I have company coming, it's the FlyLady Crisis Cleaning process.

If it's a regular quick cleaning after work, it goes something like this:

1) Pick up shoes and coats in the living room on my way in from the front door, put them in the closet on the way to the kitchen.
    2) Load the dishwasher, wipe down counter tops, close all the cabinet drawers.
    3) Pick up dirty clothes on my way through the house and deposit them in a basket.
    4) Stop by the master bedroom and make the bed. (Or, if DH made the bed, throw back the comforter and pull up the top sheet, get the pillows he left on the floor, then put the comforter back.)

5) Pick up all the towels off the bathroom floor and throw them in the washer.

6) Swing back through the kitchen and sweep the crumbs off the floor.

etc. etc. Anything to make an immediate impact in my surroundings before I dare sit down in the evenings.

I do OK as long as I do this routine every night.

Julie

• teacats
    18 years ago

Excellent points above -- turn on the music, get into work clothes and shoes, declutter all the way through the house, load the dishwasher, make the beds, vaccum and dust, clean the bathrooms. I like everyone to be OUT of the house and out of my way!!!

Many of our guests stay for weeks -- so clean out the closet and drawers in the guest room. Make room in the main bathroom -- and wash the bed linens and towels -- stack neatly in closet until JUST before guest arrives (to TRY and keep the cat hair down to a tolerable limit!)

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Thought of another one this morning:

The "DO IT NOW" concept. I need to tattoo this on my hands. Many times I look at something that needs to be done, and it would only take just a few minutes, but I'll put it on the to-do list instead of taking time to DO IT NOW.

• Adella Bedella
    18 years ago

Get the kids involved. I introduced my 3 and 5 yo's to the vacuum this month after I picked up/ or made a big pile of clutter. The boys are fighting over the vacuum. In fact, my house is cleaner than it had been in a while. My 3 yo will walk in, announce it's messy and then pick up stuff so he can vacuum. It's not perfect, but at least it's help.

The same routine goes for the kitchen and dining room floors. I get a pail of sudsy water and set the boys to work with wash cloths. They use old towels to dry up the excess. If I'm doing the floors without help, I usually just try to spot mop instead of doing the whole floor. It immediately looks 100% better and at least I can get that much done without interuption.

• cupajoe
    18 years ago

I use microfiber cloths for anything glass.They are available in bulk in the automotive department of Wally's,KaYmart,Sam's and other discount retailers.They leave mirrors spotless and streak free.Once they become too wet for glass,I use them on kitchen counters.Because they are textured,they are great for removing greasy fingerprints and food debris from glass tables and counters.They are great for drying sinks.Because they are superabsorbant,they clean up wet spills quickly.Keep two different colors on hooks inside bathroom cabinet.Use one for wiping steam and/or toothpaste off the mirror.Use the other for wiping toothpaste out of sink.
    Dust before you vaccuum.Start high,top to bottom.Use grabbit cloths on fans to keep dust from flying and resettling.Vaccuum dust off tables with brush attachment if they've been neglected too long.

• nfc27
    18 years ago

Any advice on cleaning grout in bathroom or those black pans on electric stoves?

(Besides the obvious i.e. elbow grease)

• stephanie_in_ga
    18 years ago

It's laughable that I even answer, I'm the last person on the planet to give house cleaning tips. But, here's what I try anyway.

Good music and lots of light. I always turn on all the lights and open all the blinds before I start cleaning. That just boosts my mood. No tv when I'm trying to clean, heaven help the fool who walks in the house and turns it on when I'm in a cleaning frenzy! When I talk to a friend who complains she really should be doing housework, but just isn't in the mood, I tell her to put some music on.

We use the phrase "mother-in-law" clean to decribe that level of clean where you'd pass a white glove inspection, even in the closets. I think the only thing above that is "show/sell the house clean." When it has to be MIL clean, it's a family job, DH too (it's HIS mom!). I make a master list of the chores and everyone takes one at a time til it's done.

I also like to get the big things done first, the stuff you notice. If all the flat surfaces are clear, floors vacuumed, and beds made, I feel so much better and the first impression is a clean house. Then I like a good scent, if the house smells clean it helps complete the illusion ;o) Sometimes I put cinnamon sticks in the vacuum.

• foxykitten350234
    18 years ago

nfc, try Dawn Power Disolve on those drip pans. I have found it works like a charm.

For the bathroom.........
    I have found keeping a container of Clorox wipes on the toilet tank is the best reminder to swish and swipe every day. My bathroom has never looked better. I also wax my fiberglass tub about 4 times per year. It helps keep it clean and shiny.

For bedrooms..........
    Keeping on top of making the bed and keeping clothes picked up does wonders. For those with pets, keeping a lint brush handy to graze over the comforter when making the bed makes a big difference in the long run. With three black cats and a white comforter the lint brush saves my sanity.lol I also keep a Swiffer duster in each room.

The only way for me to keep the kitchen clean is to constantly be cleaning it...the other option would be divorce.lol

Foxy.