Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auburnfan_gw

What would you do with this cabinet (pics)?

auburnfan
16 years ago

We're in the process of building a house, and the cabinetry went in last week. Well, there is a really strange cabinet in the master bathroom. In the plans that I signed, I thought the cabinet was going to be triangular inside, but when they installed it, the triangular space is empty (and unaccessible) and there is a *very* narrow medicine-like cabinet on the end instead. Being on the bottom, it's not really very convenient. Most of our medicine bottles are things like Advil and vitamins, so the bottles are too big to fit in here. BTW, there are 2 of them - one on each end.

I know you ladies have clever ideas for what do to with this space... Help!

{{gwi:2002377}}

Comments (21)

• alisande
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Perhaps you'll get some answers here, but you might get a bigger response at the Home Decorating Forum.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I think this is an organizing question, not a decorating one. Or a "working w/ my contractors/cabinet makers" question.

I'm having trouble figuring out what's what--maybe bcs they're so small. In the top photo, the open door is the door to an incredibly shallow cabinet, right? like, an inch deep, or something? basically just a frame w/ wooden shelves, and a door, and a back? It's like they took the filler piece they'd need to provide support for the countertop, and simply turned it into as shallow a cabinet as they could.

How deep is the usable interior of that cabinet?

Why won't stuff like Advil, etc., fit there? Are the bottles too wide, or are the shelves spaced wrongly? (the shelves look like they're permanent--that's a royal PITA)

(and do you have any leg to stand on to make them change it--can you insist they follow the contract and make it a triangular cabinet? Bcs I'm w/ you, it doesn't look particularly useful as is)

I'd suggest you put the extra shampoo bottles there, but I'm betting if it's too shallow for Advil, etc., that it's too shallow for shampoo. It looks it. You could keep extra TP there, but it looks too shallow for that.

I think you should kick someone in the shins and make them rebuilt that cabinet. Or at least not charge you a single dime extra for it.

Maybe they could remake that narrow cabinet to be triangular; then it would get wider toward the back, and you could stash the TP or extra shampoo in it. That triangle widens very rapidly; I think that's what I'd start screaming about. They can remove the back, and simply add sides to the frame. Then can reuse the finished frame itself, and the door.

Your other option is to have them remove the shelves, and you could hang things (like a dustpan, whisk broom, maybe the toilet brush, or hair dryer, stuff like that) on the back of the cabinet itself, or on the back of the door.

But I bet even w/ that, it might not be quite thick enough for a hair dryer or something. So i'd be pressuring them to make that triangular space accessible, if only to make the cabinet you paid for be something you CAN use.

I was trying to think if you could get little baskets to put in there (either set them on the shelf or mount them to the inside of the door, which would make them easier to get to), but the stuff you'd corral in little baskets isn't that common. I suppose first-aid stuff, which doesn't get used much (bandages, ointment, stuff like that). And baskets mounted on the door would take up some room of their own, and boy does that look shallow.

Your other option is to simply ignore it. Or store reading material in it (but if those shelves are fixed, that's going to make it hard to store magazines or books on their ends in there)--and I bet by being fixed shelves, they strengthen the frame itself.)

Really, I think you should insist that they may NOT leave you with an unusable cabinet that you've paid for. You paid for hinges, a door (instead of a side to the cabinet), etc. And you have nothing usable. They need to remake that cabinet. Smile and them and tell them you'll be happy to put up with a small delay while they do their jobs right and produce something they don't need to be EMBARRASSED about.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

you know what? I can tell I haven't eaten breakfast yet, bcs I'm P.O.'d on your behalf, and I am wishing I could come over there and speak VERY scornfully and condescendingly to those guys.

What a bunch of maroons! And I bet they're proud of themselves, that they gave you a cabinet instead of just a filler piece, aren't they!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Ts, you are making me snort my coffee. Fortunately, I've had my breakfast, but I agree this is really annoying!!

The only thin things I can think of to fit in there are slim shampoo and hair product bottles, makeup (but I'd rather have that in a drawer together in a pouch for portability), bandaids, and bar soap. That is just no good!

How about rolling up washcloths and having velcro on the back wall of the piece so the washcloths stay put in there? Again, not what I would prefer, since I like to have towels in view because they look pretty.

I think that space would be the perfect area for a hair dryer. If you're asking them to reconfigure the space so you can store that there, ask them to put an outlet inside so it's always plugged in. I see there will be a light switch above on the wall, so they could easily feed a wire down below for an outlet.

Wow, grouchy morning . . .

• auburnfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

:-)

I want to give you both a hug for being outraged on my behalf!

I made the pictures small to help people with lower bandwidth, but I have lots of other photos of these cabinets. If I can figure out how to post an album on photobucket, I'll do so.

TS said, "And I bet they're proud of themselves, that they gave you a cabinet instead of just a filler piece, aren't they!"

Exactly. She asked if I would like this to be a cabinet instead of a false side. I thought that would be a great idea! I just didn't know enough about cabinetry and I ASSumed (ahem) that would mean the whole triangle. The b&w plans that I signed off on did show the cabinet like this. However, I only know that in hindsight. I couldn't tell what it was trying to show before I saw the finished product, so I don't really have a leg to stand on.

We do have plenty of storage space, so if it just remained empty it would be no big deal. And, I don't think I paid extra for it (builder probably did, but it's a fixed price on that kind of stuff). However, as a super-organized type (also known as anal), it's hard for me to let space go unused... The triangular space would have been perfect for TP. Oh well.

I think it's only about 2 or 2.5 inches deep. I have migraines and use way too much Advil for the small bottles. That's why they I don't think they'll fit. Maybe it would though. It appears to be a good size for prescription bottles, but thankfully, I don't have many of those.

TS - I can call them and make an appt. if you want to come to AL and kick them in the shins. It might make both of us feel better. ;-)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Ask them what it would take to get them to modify it. who knows, it might be little enough extra that you'd be willing.

maybe guilt them into it, bcs they are the pros, and they should have realized they hadn't made it plain to you exactly how UNdeep it was going to be. If the words "toilet paper" ever were uttered in that conversation, I think I'd get pushy.

(at the VERY least, see if you can get them to somehow make those adjustable shelves, not fixed)

And be sure to tell them quite firmly and a little bit condescendingly that this is a really STUPID cabinet, and that if they offer this to someone else in the future, they should think about it, and make the thing at least deep enough to hold the toilet paper.

ye gods!

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

You can't get tp in it!???? I'm so sorry but that kind of thing p*sses me off!! I was a kitchen designer for 7 years and I hate seeing impractical cabinetry sold!!

The trend in the industry was to "pretty" -- who cares if you can't fit a pot holder in that drawer?? Its cute!!!! Its why I got out of kitchen design -- I think a drawer should be big enough to hold silverware!!

I can't see it well enough to tell you what to do but talk to the designer again ......... at your home. Ask him/her what they would suggest doing with the cabinet and see what can be done. I'd rather have a nice finished side than a total waste of space!

Cathy

• auburnfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, let's see if this link works. It has the full size images and also the other cabinets involved.

On a positive note, the full size pic does look as if the shelves are movable.

To be honest, I have so many other battles to fight every week in building this house, that this is just not a high enough priority. I totally agree with you both, but I don't have enough fight in me for everything. I have already gone round and round with these people over the kitchen (which is a lot more important to me). I'm tired of them. The kitchen did come out very nice, though.

Thanks for making me laugh today!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanity pics

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

Actually, I have plenty of stuff that would fit. In fact, at one time I was trying to figure out how to incorporate a shelf similar to that between the wall studs before I wimped out and gave up. I tend to like to stock up on things when they're on sale (not too much, but maybe an extra or two) and would use the space for packages of Q-tips, toothpaste/toothbrushes, shower gel (I don't buy giant sizes), hair color, lotions, etc. You get the drift! That would be plenty of space for that kind of stuff, and you have the advantage of not losing anything behind anything else. As far as the giant size of pain pills goes, it's easy to put them in a different container that would fit if you have the patience to look. Because of the arthritis in my hands, I switched from screw bottles to jars with ground glass stoppers. I have one I'm using right now that would fit, so you might consider something like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of glass jar with ground stopper

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

well, OK, at least I can see the shelves are adjustable.

So may you could put something there like cleaning supplies, or a hair dryer, or magazines.

(though I still think that's pretty narrow--2.5 inches isn't totally useless, but almost!)

And boy do I understand about the volume of things to fight about.

But at the very least, be really snotty to them about it. And e-mail them the photos, or print them out and hand them to them. Point out how stupid it is to your GC, and any other workman. Make them look bad.

Call that woman up and complain, and then hang up on her. While she's talking.

Then move on. You'll have had your revenge, and maybe have made them think about not doing something so terribly stupid to someone else.

I know that I've found sometimes that things that seem weird turn otu to have utiity--I have a big box in the back of one of my ktichen cabinets that covers this weird pipe thing I have going on. I was grumpy bcs it's twice as big as it needs to be--but it turns out that I can set my knife sharpener on it, and tha tmakes it easy to get it out, etc. I've found something good to use it for.

maybe you'll find something useful about this space.

(not as useful as if they'd made it 4.5 inches deep.....)

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I looked at your pictures and I agree... what a waste of space! You would have had SO much storage space, albeit odd shaped, if they had used the whole triangular shape!

The only thing I would be cautious of using that area for is medications, whether over the counter or prescription. I don't know if you have children or grandchildren or are planning on having them, but you don't want children to be able to have such easy access to them. Even if in a master bath where kids might not normally go, you would still rather be safe than sorry!

• alisande
    16 years ago

Well, forget the Decorating Forum! LOL

I guess I didn't read your post carefully enough. Sorry!

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

I get it after looking at the pictures. And now I'm agitated too!! Idiots.

Re the space: Maybe hang necklaces or hook reading glasses. Or mock up a fabric midget pocket shoe holder like design where you can place tiny items like cuticle scissors, emory board, tweezers. Or a little pedicure center with a couple polishes, q tips, that sort of thing.

For the empty triangle areas, maybe add a counter cutout for a drop in stainless well for brushes, combs, etc. Or cut outs to drop in hairdryer, curling iron (anybody still use those?)or whatever (think holster, shooting end down).

Maybe make em add an outlet back there just for being idiots.

• auburnfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cut-outs are a very interesting idea, CM. Thanks!

The countertop is poured marble. Not my favorite, but it was the standard and I spent all of my upgrade money in the kitchen. :-( Can't have everything. Anyway, they could probably cut that, right? I'm sure it would be $200 per hole, though. Anytime you ask the builder for something, it's $200. Doesn't matter how small it is...

iasheff - Good point about the meds. I have an 11yo, and there will be no more babies for me, so no kids in the house anytime soon. Still, though.

• premier
    16 years ago

I don't see the cause of the uproar. The choice was between a false side or this cabinet. No storage or this little amount of storage. The paperwork clearly disclosed how they would be and it was signed off.

The only way to "modify" it would be to build a custom cabinet. That is not a small thing and would be expensive.

Some storage is better than no storage and it still probably looks nicer than a false side.

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

I think what people are relating to, premier, it that when you are building a home you get a mental picture and if those things don't work out--they do tend to blossom in your mind. There are a gazillion small details and I think it's pretty normal to try and get everything perfect.

Your previous posts on this forum have pretty much been negative and only making a point of YOU don't see why someone is having a problem. Maybe it would help if you put yourself in the other person's position and see if you could help with the problem.

Hmmm?

Gloria

• premier
    16 years ago

Well Gloria I don't see how your post was helpful or positive.

I read very carefully what the OP said. Although she assumed the cabinet was different, in fact it was fully disclosed to her and she signed off on it. I'm not like other people who ignore the real issue and just react emotionally suggesting to the OP to make demands. That isn't helpful advice. She doesn't have a leg to stand on to make demands and would only make a fool out of herself. And a small amount of storage is still better than a false side.

I'm realistic. If you find reality negative, that's your problem. And where is your positive advice for this situation?

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

Premier, I think you fit the definition of a troll. You've only been here for a little over a month and give the same type of answers.

My advice for the OP? I think everyone has covered things just fine.

Gloria

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

Perhaps I'm missing something here not being a cabinet construction person but . . . seems to me the back wall of said mini cabinet could be banged out, shelf/ves cut to fit, stain per cab finish + Voila - large triangular cab. Doesn't seem to me to be a particularly complicated job but is one best done before counter goes on.

Me - I wouldn't be happy about obviously wasted space so would pay a carpenter to remedy the situation quicko fasto.

Know I'm late to the party but if you still can, perhaps consider that *fix*?

• auburnfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Premier was helpful to me on another subject, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt here. And she's right that I saw the plans. The problem was that the plans were very hard to read. Now that I know what it was showing, it makes sense, but when I thought it was the other way it didn't. I asked a couple of times before signing, but I don't think I ever used the word triangle. My bad.

I think the ladies mad on my behalf felt that way because it is a wasteful design and the cabinet people should have known that. And they are 100% right about that.

Even if it is better than just a false door. It doesn't seem like it would have been that much harder to finish the triangles. These are custom cabinets.

Anyway, no need to argue amongst ourselves. I'm leaving them as-is and fighting about the laundry room instead (long story). But, if any of you think of the perfect use for a narrow medicine cabinet at base level, please let me know!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Not that this matters to AuburnFan, who has made her decision, but I wanted to provide some info to think about in terms of Holly_BC's comments:

The back of this cabinet is probably set into the frame using a dado joint--which means a groove was carved into the sides all the way around, and the backing piece was set into those grooves before the sides were glued at the corners (the bottom of most dresser drawers or kitchen drawers are constructed this way). It's a very professional and sturdy joining.

But it also makes it harder to bang the back of the cabinet out.

The grumpiness I felt is that--this *IS* a custom cabinet, and it would NOT have been that much more expensive to make it a triangular one. Or a slightly deeper one. It just would have taken some thought. (oh, and there was that matter of not having had my breakfast yet)

It may be more attractive than a false door, but it was also more expensive. At least AuburnFan didn't actually pay extra cash, since it was "part of the package."