Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

claire_de_luna
16 years ago

We had our mammoth sale yesterday, and I'm so glad that's DONE. That's the best part of all. It all started Labor Day, when we cleaned the garage from the inside-out, so we'd have a place to put things while we prepared for the Sale. This month of concentrated effort allowed us to purge the basement of things we've needed to deal with for several years. Although we're not quite to the finish line, we're close. We got rid of household items that have come and gone, bits of pieces our families saved for us that never really fit, useful things that had their day, renovating items, furniture from other homes and past lives, and tools replaced for rooms or space that no longer exist. We started the day very early in the dark, and ended it the same way, very late. Whew! I'm busted.

Now I need to designate the leftovers to the appropriate charities (and embrace the tax write-off), clean the garage (again, but at least we now know where things live) and the basement so we can visualize space we haven't seen since we first moved here. I've found lost items, let go of things old and familiar but no longer useful, and made peace with the fact that change is good. You know what I'm reminded of? This is hard work! I fully expect that serenity and peace of mind will fill the space uncovered, once I recover my equilibrium. One thing I know for sure? I've turned the corner on collecting and holding onto stuff. It takes far too much energy to deal with it any more.

The best part is fulfillment of a long-sought goal on hold for too long, from which I can now (finally) move on! Today is a very good day...

Comments (7)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

This is hard work!

And now you know why you didn't do it earlier, LOL!

Congratulations, and best wishes for the next stretch.

Best of all, congrats on "turning the corner on collecting and holding onto stuff." That's a huge achievement.

(when I clamped down on spending in order to wipe out my credit-card debt of $3k several years ago, it completely changed my thinking about spending & purchases. That was an even more valuable outcome than zero debt)

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Oh, Claire, I envy you! I hope to take inspiration from you. My house is filled to the brim, and got fuller this summer because I had to absorb my mom's apartment when she went into a nursing home, Kid # 5 moved back in "temporarily" to save money to buy a house, and K#6 moved half her stuff back in because she had to move to a smaller apt for her last year in school. It's always something.

I keep postponing what I have to do, always substituting laziness. My thinking is curently paralyzed because every time I look at my wonderful back yard, I see all that needs doing out there before the snow flies, and I think I should do the outside work before I do the inside. Then I don't do anything at all.

Oh, well. Tomorrow is another day, right? I'm going to spend today playing with K#1 and her daughter; the mess around here will keep. I didn't get lazy all of a sudden, so I won't get organized and efficient suddenly, either. I am very good at excuses, my husband enables me, and I always have my fantasies: I'm reading or sewing or puttering in the garden while a stew with freshly picked veggies from the garden bubbles away, a pie cools, a loaf of bread rises on the counter to be baked for dinner in my lovely, clean, organized home, and I'M THIN! I'm going to refer to your post every morning until I get to fulfillment, and I'm going to be able to park the cars in the garage before winter! It would be so delightful to spend the winter in my reclaimed home. I'll start tomorrow!

Sherry

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Talley Sue for your congratulations, best wishes and affirmation of a huge achievement. Turning the corner on collecting and holding onto stuff has taken a series of life changes. Seeing your parents (and helping them downsize) to a more manageable lifestyle during the last phase of their lives will really open your eyes to what's ahead. I used to have sales all the time when I was dealing antiques, but I was younger then and had a lot more energy. It was still hard work, but it didn't seem to affect me as much!

Also, the hard work wasn't really the reason I hadn't done it earlier; rather it was a matter of timing. The energy to do this requires a mindset that has to block everything else out for a while, along with willing hands, hearts and minds to help. If my husband hadn't been in the same place, I could never have managed this alone. The weather had to be right, and the schedule free enough to block out a period of time so we could work on small goals incrementally. I could see the big picture, but getting there successfully required timing, scheduling and focus on the small details. I had been trying to recruit some other people to help fill our driveway, and it wasn't until just a few weeks ago that we found some wonderful friends who put some of their own things out, and helped us with the sale. They were happy with the outcome from the items they sold, and I feel like we made some memories. Another huge benefit from the sale is we traded a lot of things from our past lives for enough $ to upgrade our home entertainment center. (HDTV) I worked hard for it, and will enjoy the benefits of the trade immensely.

Sherry, I'm so happy my post inspired you. I was hopeful it might help someone. What struck me about your comments of your fantasies of cooking and sewing in your clean house, and puttering in your garden, was that all those things involve some work as well! You know, you might be tripping yourself up by declaring yourself as lazy. The only way to tackle something like this is by one small thing at a time. I don't have the physical or mental energy to do BIG things like my sale all at once. I worked on this for half an hour, or two to four hours a day. On the weekends, we doubled our efforts by teaming up to get more done. Would it help to share your vision with K#5&6? It wouldn't hurt to ask if they might have a few hours available here and there to help you realize it. You are certainly helping them out! Not only that, you can model for them how small changes can impact your lives.

We're not quite done yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. A few more weeks and I'll be ready to celebrate!

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Claire, I guess I'm not lazy about everything, but I really don't know how to manage clutter because I get too involved with it all. K#5 is a great help - good at hard work and organizing and seeing the BIG PICTURE, and she is very willing to help - whenever I get motivated. I'll get over this.

Meanwhile, I love reading your posts (and talley sue's) and I am going to tackle the sewing room TODAY! I hope I don't just start sewing in the mess instead. I want to make a wool winter coat for my daughter.

Thanks! Sherry

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sherry, I hope the day brings progress. It helps to visualize what you want the room to be like while you're working in it. I often start by listing what isn't working for me. That list is quite revealing, and a great place to start. Think about what kind of tools you need for organizing and make that list as well. If sewing is a favorite past-time and what inspires you, that's a great room to start with. If you can, make sewing in the room your reward for getting it straightened out, and give yourself a reasonable time-line (like a week or two). Don't sew in there until it's how you want it to be. You'll be there before you know it!

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Thanks, Claire. I've made progress in the sewing room the last two days. Now I should take the advice on the "liberating toss" thread and give away some of my fabric - but not yet. My hoarding instinct is too strong, and I have specific ideas for most of it. I should make a couple (LONG) lists, (I can almost cross off the sewing room!) and work towards the goal of having the entire house ready for the Thanksgiving Invasion.

Another reason to be ready for Thanksgiving: Most of the kids will be here, and I can give each of them their own stuff that has been here since they left for college, got married, etc. for them to deal with as they please. That will make a big difference around here. What they don't take, I'll toss.

I'm feeling better, but, boy, could I make long lists! I've been out of commission for a couple years, and I hope I can keep the motivation to get things back in order. I appreciate your encouragement. On to fullfillment!

Sherry

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sherry, On to fulfillment and a calm Thanksgiving holiday! It's sounds like you're on a roll. Keep on keeping on!