Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

A-one, no fail oven cleaning method

bspofford
15 years ago

We moved into this house 10 years ago, and the existing oven, lovely harvest gold from what, the late 60's or early 70's, was kept until we 'redid the kitchen'. It cleaned up, sorta, and got lots of use. One burner died, but heck, I usually only use no more than 2 at a time, so no action. Then about a year ago the self-cleaning function went south, but still no action. Wait until the kitchen redo, ya know? Then the lower unit in the oven died, but using the broiler unit, one could bake, marginally. Replaced the burner pans, scrubbed off all the plastic 'chrome' on the knobs. Another burner died, considered replacing the burner units, and find that the lower oven unit is not a simple plug-in, and the screws holding it in place won't come out.

Lowe's delivered the new range with smooth cooktop on Sunday, and Goldie went bye-bye on the truck.

Boy, is that oven clean....LOL. But, the gold hood over the stove sure looks nasty now. Back to Lowe's tomorrow for a new hood!

Barbara

Comments (8)

• mvastian
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your new range/oven and hood! Enjoy them making something special. When I have some new kitchen thing I even enjoy cleaning it and I always hand wash the first few times (instead of the dishwasher - I mean smaller things of course).

Maria

• andrea_san_diego
    15 years ago

I used your oven cleaning method last summer when my stove was on it's last legs and I love the new GE Profile which is very easy to clean.

My DH was in the military for 20 years and moved around the country a lot during his enlistment. So we used to joke about when the house gets dirty it must be time to move. He's been retired for 13 years now and the house is pretty dirty and I wish we could just move.

• bspofford
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The new hood is ready to install, maybe tomorrow....

And the shed with the peeling paint has been covered in vinyl siding today. A contractor that was here when he said he would be. What a jewel! I think I'll give him all my paint brushes.

Barbara

• mommabird
    15 years ago

WARNING on that new oven's self-cleaning feature - my friend had her kitchen go up in flames about 10 months ago due to self cleaning her oven! She started the self-clean cycle, then went upstairs to sew. She got lost in her sewing & forgot to check the oven for an hour. When she came back downstairs, the oven, cabinents, and back wall of her kitchen were on fire! It's taken her 10 months to get everything re-built and repaired.

The fire men told her they see self-cleaning oven fires all the time. The cabinent installer also told her to NEVER use the self-cleaning feature because of the fire hazard.

I got a new oven 3 years ago. I've just wiped it clean for those 3 years and never had to use oven cleaners.

And I wish we could move due to the dirty house, too - 16 years of clutter is getting to me!

• jannie
    15 years ago

I used to joke that when my apartment got dirty, I moved. That worked for me for about 15 years and six apartments.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Congratulations Barbara! Sounds like you more than deserve a new stove and oven.
    ~Becky

• bspofford
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone. And Becky, you got me thinking about it, and I realize that this is my first new stove!! In 1966, husband's grandparents bought a used stove and refer for us. After marrying my 2nd husband, we moved to a house with an okay stove. 3rd move to California resulted in built-in double oven and Jenn-Air stove top. Man, I hated cleaning that thing! The move to this house also involved an existing stove. So yeah, the first new one. You are right, I do feel entitled....

Barbara

• bspofford
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TA-DA! The company that has been here for four days decided walking around the box with the new hood in it was enough, time to put it in. It looks absolutely wonderful, and took five years off my kitchen's age!

Why is it when we finally do something like this we always say to ourselves "I should have done this ----- years ago"?

I'm getting inspired to push on with the rest of the kitchen, which will be floors and new cabinets. Maybe after Christmas....

Barbara