Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherriz_gw

Do It Yourself (DYI) Closets - Which ones?

sherriz
13 years ago

We want to organize our own closets and are looking for recommendations. We prefer wood or wood-like (melamine) versus wire baskets. Are there any that people like?

Comments (6)

• jolsongoude
    13 years ago

We used the Elfa system from The Container Store. It was kind of pricey, but it was a dream to install and looks fantastic:

We chose the birch with platinum, they also have walnut available for the wood and white for the metal. We prefer the wire shelving, but they do have wood shelving available instead.

HTH,

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Elfa

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I use a local closet guy whose prices are the same as the pricey online places and he installs. Mine are all laminated systems but with a lot of bells and whistles (that you can forgo for the budget). I HATE wire shelving. It's slowly being ripped out of our house.

You might want to price a local closet design company. Often you will find options that you weren't aware of and if he's as great as the guy we use, he will find ways to save you money.

• chrismo4
    13 years ago

We used the Martha Stewart closet organization system from Home Depot. Laminated wood I believe....looks classy. The shelves are wood, very sturdy. It is a wall mounted system. This system is less expensive than the professional closet companies. We chose a dark stain, but I think you can special order the mid tone wood grain. My husband is handy and said it was a pretty easy job.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

When we were ready to design and build a system for in our master closet we found they were over priced for what was offered so I designed ours using 3/4 inch MDF with wood trim and dowel rods along with closet hardware. I stained it using a gel stain and a cheep brush to give it the look of wood grain and we love it. You can find pictures of it on the thread linked below. You'll need to scroll down. The pictures are clickable thumbnails so you'll need to click them to enlarge them.

Here is a link that might be useful: JustGotaBMe's closet pictures.

• katey44121
    12 years ago

We took a small bedroom and converted to a closet, so we had a fair amount of closet that needed to be done. The first section we used Martha Stewart. Looks very nice - BUT - you need to cut the shelves yourself - unless the space is exactly 24 or 36 inches. The closets are simply a track attached to the wall from which you hang vertical panels, then attach shelving etc. After doing the first section we realized we could do the rest ourselves, since we had to cut to fit anyways. We bought the laminated boards from Loews (colour was called truffle) which are the identical colour to Martha espresso colour). We used the Martha vertical panel from the first section for a template to determine where to make the groove where the panels would hang, then purchased the track from Martha. It was 1/3 the cost and about 1/3 more work. You cannot tell the difference between the Martha closet and our DIY portion. One portion is a 6ft(H) x 24 inch (W)shoe shelving unit - Martha Stewart cost $215.00 (due to number of shelves needed). Our cost$80.00.- However if you want to purchase a kit, I would use Easy Closet. I did not discover them until after I had started - they look the same as the Martha line, are about the same price but everything actually comes cut to your specifications. One other thing - if you want drawers, you would have to purchase the kits, if I was doing drawers I would do a combination kit and DIY. If anyone wants pictures I can post.

• klau
    10 years ago

katey44121,

Do you have any pictures you can share with us?