Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
des_arc_ya_ya

Drowning in Newspapers?

des_arc_ya_ya
9 years ago

I am a newspaper addict and have always placed the read ones in the Recycling tub. Have recently started saving all the daily papers in a trash bag in the trunk of my car. When the bag is full I take them to the local animal shelter. They use them in the "cat room" and for puppies, etc.

The local daily newspaper? I save in a smaller bag for my brother, who is also a newspaper reader. I take them to him when I go to see him, about once a week. He reads them and then they go down for use as "dog training" papers.

My not be a bit better solution than just recycling, but I feel like I may be doing a little more "immediate good" by sharing with others.

Just a thought...

Comments (12)

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

My husband got an iPad and immediately signed up to read the newspapers online. (He reads the NYTimes and the Wall Street Journal.)

I was in trouble when I needed to:
    -pack all the breakables so I could move the china cabinet for painting;
    -create a sewing pattern for a costume.

Thank goodness we live in an apartment building--I could go pull some out of the recycling bin in the basement!

If I had an easy way to drop off newspapers for puppy cages, I would.

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

Great way to distribute and recycle newspapers..... ;-) I'm sure those agencies really appreciate them.

We don't subscribe to any home-delivered or on-line newspapers (local "rag" isn't worth reading - old news and old opinions) and I can read the obituaries and local news free on-line from other sources.

I DO, however, keep several newspaper end rolls in the house (UNprinted newsprint paper), which I purchase dirt cheap, and occasionally get free, from our local newspaper office. This unprinted paper has many uses from gift wrap to packing material, and occasionally art paper for small children who visit us - and many other uses.

The free 1/2-size weekly with advertising inserts (also distributed by the local paper) I use to make handmade paper - along with other scrap paper and junk mail that isn't recycled. I make all our greeting cards, gift tags, gift boxes, gift bags, place cards, invitations, seasonal decorations, and some objet d'art (bowls, vases, masks...). A fun, useful, and rewarding hobby with something that more often than not goes into the landfill, because people are even too preoccupied to recycle.

-Grainlady

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Reduce, reuse, recycle - any time an item can be used more than once, that's a bonus!

I still get a paper delivered, but I give it to my neighbors after we've read it. I find that I read a lot of things in the paper that aren't in the on-line version.

Newspaper endrolls are the best for washing windows.

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

Hey, YaYa, good to "see you". :)

Hope all is well with you.

Moni

Oh, and newspapers... I tear them up and put them in the yard as mulch. Does not look pretty, but does a good job. ;) I also put it in the compost pile.

• sherwoodva
    9 years ago

We use ours under the mulch - keeps the weeds from poking through. Two newspaper sheets folded several times so that it is about six inches wide goes on the freshly weeded border, and then the mulch goes over that. Works better than landscape fabric.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I only occasionally get a newspaper, and then only a weekly one, such as L.A. Weekly or The Argonaut, which is for my specific neighborhood: Westchester - Playa Del Rey - Venice - Marina Del Rey. I save them to use in my charcoal chimney starter, but I do not pick them up every week like I used to. I am not a news addict, although my sister and BIL think I should be. Fortunately they live 1500 miles away in another state.

I never thought of using newspaper for a clothing pattern, and I have 36" wide tracing paper that I bought for that. For a more permanent pattern, I use white drafting paper, but it's a bit more expensive. I do most of my drafting on AutoCAD, and so I do not use drafting paper like I used to. All clothing patterns are drawn freehand, however. My brother still has a large drafting table, but he paints, and so that is different. I stored my drafting table in the garage and only get it out for parties when we need an extra table in the yard.

Right now I am drowning in furniture designs that I have printed out, and I need to recycle a lot of those. I was sick a couple of weeks ago and did not feel up to sorting them, and they sort of piled up. Most of my paper clutter is from design work.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Moni! Doing well, thanks. And, how are you?

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

I don't use newspaper for sewing patterns when I'm making real clothes. Just for when I'm making up Halloween costumes.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Des Arc YaYa - So glad to "see" you! I'm still drowning in ND remodeling alternating with "freezing to death in ND!" I suppose you heard about D?

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Living in the assist living complex now, I still like to have my own issue of the paper BUT, as soon as I finish, I give them to another couple to read, then they pass it on. That way they can read in their own room, and not have to sit in the common room to share.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

Its been a while since I've read from a paper. I used to though then I got tired organizing and recycling so I stopped. I then found out that I can use my tablet so I subscribed and the rest is history.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Caroline, I did. Went to his service last New Year's Eve. It was a beautiful, heartfelt one.

Going to the Open House in Mtn. Home today for S's new location for her business, "At Ease".

Hope you're doing well.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler