Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

I thought you'd find this interesting

brutuses
14 years ago

I received this in a newsletter I subscribe to about decorating. They say clutter is working in these photo's, but for me, it's not.

Here is a link that might be useful: houzz link

Comments (11)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I guess one would have to have a definition of 'clutter'. I think of clutter as stuff where it doesn't belong, lots of dusty surfaces, and maybe not much cleaning. There may be a lot of 'stuff' in the pictures, but everything looks planned, clean, and maintained. Not my idea of clutter. Do I think the rooms are attactive? Not particularly....

Barbara

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

That is not "clutter" in the sense that organizers use it. That's just decor for owners who like lots of stuff, well arranged.

A bookcase full of books is not clutter: those same books stacked all over the room is clutter.

• sheconquers
    14 years ago

I think these rooms are beautiful.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Clutter are the things that we use to keep for a very long time without any use at all.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I never realized that people's definition of clutter could vary so. You see I learn something new here all the time.

I think of clutter as anything that is either out of order, to my eye, i.e., those bookshelves, or stuff just everywhere you look, even if it is decorative items.

I love traditional design with the clean look of modern.

I'd go crazy in a Victorian setting, even though I love the style, all the "stuff" would make me crazy. Just thinking about cleaning all the dust off of items makes me nuts. I hate to dust so I keep items that need dusting, to a minimum. I'm big on glass front cabinets. LOL

• talley_sue_nyc
    14 years ago

I don't think that *any* of those rooms have clutter.

Clutter is stuff you don't really want or need.

The only one that comes close is the bookshelves w/ the messier books, and some stuff on the front.

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

"I think of clutter as anything that is either out of order, to my eye, i.e., those bookshelves, or stuff just everywhere you look, even if it is decorative items. "

Me too!

Visual clutter bothers me a lot... so of course I see many of those rooms as cluttered.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I like the rooms but I wouldn't want to live there!!

• clg7067
    14 years ago

Too much going on for me in all those rooms. But that's the way decorators do it. I love Divine Design except for there's always too much going on in the end.

• ubbehere
    14 years ago

Since I am retired I find I have more of what others would call clutter. But, since I have more leisure time I have more projects and printed media. I cook more and entertain more which leads to more containers, gadgets and decorative items for table and holiday decor.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    14 years ago

ubbehere, I worry (maybe not too much) that when I do retire, if I am so lucky to live that long, I may fall into cluttering up myself with stuff I didn't tolerate when I was working "outside the home". Can be hard to tell what is the true "new" lifestyle and the "stuff" that makes that happen, vs. devoting too much time to stuff and not enough time to having adventures. I just see myself as prone to that.

How do you try to tell the difference, in your retirement ? e.g., doing more cooking and entertaining because of finally having more time for that, without making that get over-complicated by gadgets so you don't have time & energy to cook and entertain, etc.