Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for simple cleaners

Posted by Jannie (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 05 at 22:01

My grandmother taught me to mix water and ammonia to make window cleaner. I bought a bottle of windex once and now refill it with this concoction. Can someone provide a list of other simple- to- make household cleaners? I use fantastic or sinch spray in my kitchen, but I'd like to make something non-toxic for use around food-prep surfaces. And what about a toilet bowl cleaner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for simple cleaners

Baking soda appears to be the wonderchild of simple cleaning -- use it just like a cleaning scrub.

It can clean toilet bowls, stainless steel sinks -- etc. -- And use it with boiling water -- carefully -- to clean drains of icky smells.

Keep small boxes or bowls of it in the fridge, freezer and even closets to absorb problem smells too.

Also:

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/asthma/facts/greencleaning.htm

http://www.greenhome.com/

Just some sites to check out too!

o

Someone recently told me about putting vanilla on a cotton puff and put it into the fridge and freezer to get rid of odors.

o

Yep, also use baking soda or vanilla after I clean the microwave. Gives it a clean, fresh smell.

o

Not that what I'm going to suggest is really special, but I did buy a tall spray pump plastic bottle at the Container Store and filled it with water. I use this to wipe down my counter tops, cooktop, etc. Since it is virtually clear, I just keep it behind my faucet at the main sink. Because many in my family have asthma, I have to be careful about highly fragrant cleaning products. But believe me, I do use my fair share of regular cleaning products too. My newest find is OxiClean carpet cleaner. It disolves every stain I clean and doesn't leave a soapy residual so there are no "re-spots." Also, it doesn't smell. I don't like using deoderizer type products on my carpeting. So I guess that it's simple in the sense that it does the job easily, without leaving a lot of odor or residual film behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here