Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

The Big Purse Purge

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

Four purses out of the house this week! I really only need two, one for every day and one for special occasions.

I'm giving all the credit to FlyLady for this one--just don't tell her there are 4 still in my closet!

Julie

P.S. I haven't bought a purse in YEARS... these were all gifts from well meaning people who thought I was being too simplistic.

Comments (7)

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

I got irritated with having multiple purses years ago. When I first got out of college & started working, I had several purses that I would change to match my outfits. I finally got tired of moving stuff from one to the other & decided that one basic everyday purse was fine. I use black, since I wear a lot of black. I gave up the notion that I had to be carrying a brown purse if I was wearing brown, etc. I do have a smaller satin one that I use for special occasions.

Greta

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I don't even have 2--I have 1! Well, I have two fancy ones for evening, but they're VERY small, and I never use them, even when I get all dressed up. But at least they don't take up tons of room.

Like Greta, I gave up the idea that my purse has to match; but I went w/ "natural leather" as my default.

I have given everyone around me the clear impression that they shouldn't give me a purse or wallet. I don't think I personally would buy a purse or wallet FOR someone--probably because I'm so picky about what works for me.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I realized I forgot to say:

way to go!

That's probably an amazing amount of space freed up! I'm always surprised how much space a purse or two can take up.

Enjoy the simplification (and I won't breathe a word of those 4 other ones--but *they* better breathe lightly, or you'll get all "on a roll" and throw THEM out!)

• cupofkindness
    18 years ago

Good job Julie!

And now my purse story.....

I have a little black backpack purse that I adore, although it's shabby looking, I have long decided that a backpack-type purse is the most practical way for me to go since I have so many kids and so much other stuff that I tote around. It keeps my hands and arms free. BUT

Six or so years ago I bought a beautiful Stone Mountain navy blue shoulder-strap type purse (Stone Mountain purses, at least when I got mine, were sort of the poor girl's Coach bag), with two zippered compartments. As we were house hunting back in 1999, the strap broke (because I had stuffed the compartments with so much junk), so after I found my then new backpack purse, I sent my good old Stone Mountain bag in for repair and polishing, and it came back from the shoe-guy looking like new. Just gorgeous. And I haven't used it at all since that time. My black backpack purse looks like a herd of elephants trampled it, it so worn out. The shoe-guy went out of business and far be it from me to actually polish my own leather. So.... I want to buy an new backpack purse, but I have this lovely other purse. I guess I just need to throw out my old purse, then wear out my good purse, and then I can buy myself another backpack purse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the purse that I want to buy....

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Talley Sue---- HA! There is NO extra room in the closet even now, since the purses were all lumped up on top of shoes or whatever on a shelf.

Cupofkindness--- Love the backpack purse! Would be great for summer months, but I don't think it would work for winter, with heavy coats & stuff. You must be in a warmer climate? LOL

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Talley Sue---- HA! There is NO extra room in the closet even now, since the purses were all lumped up on top of shoes or whatever on a shelf.

Cupofkindness--- Love the backpack purse! Would be great for summer months, but I don't think it would work for winter, with heavy coats & stuff. You must be in a warmer climate? LOL

• cupofkindness
    18 years ago

Very perceptive, Julie! I live in Dallas, where wool coats are rarely worn, if at all. Mine is more like a car coat, a short coat. And we only occassional wear the whole nine yards: hats, gloves, scarves, muffs, etc. But I still manage to get my backpack purse over my winter coat, since it's rather thin.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm