Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurience

How to better organize my closet

laurience
15 years ago

I am trying really hard to be organized without spending a fortune.

That has never been my strong point. Anyhow, can you share organized closet pics to give me some ideas?

I also want to organize all my closets, they are a mess (including my kids rooms)

Ideas would be helpful too.

Thank you

Comments (3)

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

The first step won't cost you a penny!

Get rid of EVERYTHING that does not fit and/or is not flattering.

When you see what is left, you can better determine HOW what is left need to be stored.

Do you hang jeans?
    Fold them? In closet or in dresser?

T shirts... hang or fold? Where?

Shoes... in bedroom closet? Foyer closet? Mud room?

etc., etc., etc.

Also ---- what sort of closets do you have?
    Showing you someone's huge walk-ins will do nothing if you have reach-ins...

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi

Thanks for your response. I should take a pic and post it tomorrow. I have a walk in closet that is fairly large. It has one rod to the one side and a little rod at the back. It also has one top shelf.

I fold jeans and put them on the top shelf of my closet

I hang most of my shirts.

I have my running gear in a laundry basket at the bottom of my closet

I have some shoes in boxes on top of shelf and some in the front entrance. I am not that big on shoes.

I am looking for more of a short term solution because I know that shelves would be my best bet but we have 1000 other things to do in this house.

One of my spare room closets is small. I am putting my winter jackets there and all kinds of boxes.

Joanne

• harriethomeowner
    15 years ago

No pictures, and not that I'm terribly organized, but this is what I do to avoid complete chaos in the small walk-in closet I share with DH. There is an organizer system that was installed by the PO of the house, with the right side having one bar to hang clothes and the left side a low bar and a high bar. I use the right side, and DH uses the left side. (I don't mess with his side. He tends to keep clothes that he doesn't wear for a long time, but he's pretty neat.)

Starting from the left, I hang all my tops:
    Sleeveless
    Short-sleeved
    Long-sleeved

Then pants
    Then skirts
    Then dresses
    Then evening wear/dressy clothes

Sweaters go on the shelf above.

Our closet has a pegboard attached to one wall with moveable hooks. I hang the nightgown I've worn the night before and any bras that I've worn since washing them on a couple of the hooks. (Clean nightwear and bras are kept in my dresser.)

Shoes: seldom-worn shoes (dress shoes) are in a hanging cloth shoe bag on the other wall of the closet. More-often-worn shoes are theoretically in a bench by the front door, but in practice tend to be strewn about in front of the bench. But we don't have that many shoes, and it's easy to pick them up and put them in the bench.