Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a file cabinet!

Posted by timberframe4us (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 16:20

I would really like a well-made wooden 2-drawer one that looks nice enough to use in my living room. Does anyone make these for less than $500?!?

The less expensive option I'm considering is a metal one that I can paint black and have wood drawer fronts made for.

Who knew something so simple could be so difficult!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a file cabinet!

I got mine from a local store, locally made. They DO exist!

o

I got a very nice lateral file, nice handles, sturdy on Craigslist for $35. Of course another one of those is a long shot. Prior to lucking out with CL, I was looking at Office Depot. I use mine in the den for a TV stand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filing Cabinets

o

I don't know where you live, but offices are closing and as a result you can get wonderful file cabinets all over from used office equipment places. If there is a big office building nearby, contact the management office and see if they have anybody who wants to unload office furniture. Sometimes the tenant just moves out and leaves stuff. I got some beautiful office chairs, cheap to replace ones that were worn from an office that was moving out.

o

I am so enamored of the high-quality drawer slides -- full-extension so I can pull the drawers ALL the way out -- of my office-worthy unit that I will never, ever, ever buy a cosmetics-first filing cabinet.

Even if I have to have a cabinet maker make the filing cabinet, or I have to live with an office-y looking filing cabinet, or paint it some non-office color--I am never going to have a filing cabinet that is not completely, thoroughly, wonderfully *functional*.

I almost don't care how expensive it would be.

o

Try to stay away from Staples or Office Max or Walmart--their filing cabinets are really cheap made but oh so expensive. I got a real nice one (metal) from a local stationary store and it was a commerical one and made in USA. Sure holds by stuff.

o

Have you considered looking at an unfinished wood store? They usually stock furniture for every room in the house, including home office.
I bought a two drawer, 30" height filing cabinet from one of those barewood stores. They replaced the drawer glides with heavy duty ones and painted it in a BM paint that I'd picked out. My DH had a 72'H bookcase finished in stain to match existing den furniture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here