Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timberframe4us

I need a file cabinet!

timberframe4us
12 years ago

I would really like a well-made wooden 2-drawer one that looks nice enough to use in my living room. Does anyone make these for less than $500?!?

The less expensive option I'm considering is a metal one that I can paint black and have wood drawer fronts made for.

Who knew something so simple could be so difficult!

Comments (6)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

I got mine from a local store, locally made. They DO exist!

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

I got a very nice lateral file, nice handles, sturdy on Craigslist for $35. Of course another one of those is a long shot. Prior to lucking out with CL, I was looking at Office Depot. I use mine in the den for a TV stand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filing Cabinets

• marge727
    12 years ago

I don't know where you live, but offices are closing and as a result you can get wonderful file cabinets all over from used office equipment places. If there is a big office building nearby, contact the management office and see if they have anybody who wants to unload office furniture. Sometimes the tenant just moves out and leaves stuff. I got some beautiful office chairs, cheap to replace ones that were worn from an office that was moving out.

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

I am so enamored of the high-quality drawer slides -- full-extension so I can pull the drawers ALL the way out -- of my office-worthy unit that I will never, ever, ever buy a cosmetics-first filing cabinet.

Even if I have to have a cabinet maker make the filing cabinet, or I have to live with an office-y looking filing cabinet, or paint it some non-office color--I am never going to have a filing cabinet that is not completely, thoroughly, wonderfully *functional*.

I almost don't care how expensive it would be.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Try to stay away from Staples or Office Max or Walmart--their filing cabinets are really cheap made but oh so expensive. I got a real nice one (metal) from a local stationary store and it was a commerical one and made in USA. Sure holds by stuff.

• emilynewhome
    12 years ago

Have you considered looking at an unfinished wood store? They usually stock furniture for every room in the house, including home office.
    I bought a two drawer, 30" height filing cabinet from one of those barewood stores. They replaced the drawer glides with heavy duty ones and painted it in a BM paint that I'd picked out. My DH had a 72'H bookcase finished in stain to match existing den furniture.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville