Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new organizing system

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 15:38

Last year, when I did my first culling and organizing in the house, I wrote a list of everything I needed to do. I had done a great job but I still felt like I hadn't done enough.

This year, I decided to redo all the cupboards and drawers in the house so I put the list (numbered) on the computer. When I'd finish each item or part of each item, I moved it to another numbered list. Seeing all the "done" ones (which I hilighted in yellow to stand out) has really kept me going. And I can see clearly the items that I still need to do and choose which one I should work on, depending on the time available.

I've also added calls to make or appointments made on this list. It has really kept me on top of everything. I still use my small purse calendar for doctor appointments but everything else goes on the computer. The best part is that it's replaced all those bits of paper which has been a major downfall of mine.

Another thing I started to do is to type in a Word document all the conversations I was having recently with my satellite TV supplier. They cancelled on my twice and then didn't even bother to show up the third time. It really was much easier to type in each conversation and now it's in the computer and I was able to refer to the date and CSR I spoke to when I had to call them back. From now on, I will do this for any future "problems".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new organizing system

Marie,

You will find your "House Diary" as I call it, invaluable! I have referred to it so often that I can't imagine what I did without it. Like yours, it's in table in a Word document. When I make a major purchase like the oven, I keep all of the information relevant to that purchase in the House Diary. Magazine subscriptions are helpful to as I have seen a trend that the subscription comes due before it should. I keep appliance repair notes too.

I keep it by the year with the following columns.

DATE ITEM MERCHANT PAID NOTES

o

Mustangs, that's a good idea! I'll start it now with my magazine subscriptions and continue with my next major purchase. I'll also add a column for phone numbers for the magazines and the stores purchased at and technical support.

o

A "House Diary" is a terrific idea. What a perfect way to have all kinds of info together in a compact form. Don't need to dig through complete files for simple info such as the columns you noted. I love it!

Thanks, marie26 and mustangs!

Tina

o

Sounds like a good system. Some days I just try to do three things. Like pay three bills or quick- ckean the kitchen,bathroom and bedroom. Or make three phone calls. Today I applied for Social Security on the phone, reported my broken cellphone to get a replacement, and returned a pair of UGG boots that dodn't fit to the store. I just do three meaningful things each day. At least I feel like I'm making "progress".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here