Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicgal_gw

Sitting Here waiting for people to pick up my Free Stuff-

musicgal
9 years ago

We are in our new home now and I am culling possession bit by bit. Painful process sometimes. Put an ad on CL to give away my moving boxes. I have two takers but nobody can tell me when they can come. It's raining outside, or else I would just leave them on the driveway. So, I sit here, listening to the Tender Land bh Aaron Copeland. Even giving your stuff away takes patience and effort;-) Maybe that's why people end up with piles sometimes.

Comments (12)

• bleusblue2
    9 years ago

I'll send over a star trek laser spike to poke them into action. Come on -- get over there and pick it up -- it's free and she doesn't have all day you clowns!!!

• emma
    9 years ago

Why do you have to wait, go do something. When I do that I don't watch, I turn my back and it's gone. LOL

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I feel your pain. This has happened to me many times.

No good deed goes unpunished.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Not worth my time. Sorry. If it isn't worth your time to come get them when I say, then you aren't getting them. Sit them out, trash man will take them. move on.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Freecycle is quite active here, and I give away, and receive lots of things.

If no one wants your moving boxes, don't feel guilty about throwing them in the recycle bin. Moving boxes are hot around here, they get multiple requests. :)

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

I give away things all the time on CL (just did actually a few minutes ago). I called up the respondents in the order they emailed. I gave the person 30 minutes to come here. If they aren't here in that amount of time, I just go to the next person.

Personally it would be hard for me to put all those moving boxes in the trash.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update- all gone now, and being packed by a very nice man who is moving this weekend. I am glad those once used boxes could be used again.
    I've done a lot of CLing in the past few months, and the majority of respondents have been great. Very respectful of our time. And, at least the lady apologized after having me sit around half the day waiting. But, lesson learned- won't do a free give-away on a rainy day again.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I have been decluttering (I'm not a pack rat, I just want ALL the clutter gone or in my minimal storage spaces.)
    What I have done is made a HUGE sign that says GRATIS/FREE.
    The afternoon before trash day I will rest the sign against my mailbox so it is visible to passing cars. There are many who drive past on the day before and on trash day specifically looking for stuff they can have.
    The stuff is generally gone in 15 minutes to an hour after I put it out. Much better than CL where I would have waits and no shows.
    Maybe some people pick stuff up they don't really need to sell, but I'm happy, I get the clutter picked up, they get the stuff or money from selling it. Everyone is happy.
    Then the sign goes back in the garage until the next declutter session.

• emma
    9 years ago

I hope they don't take your mail box. LOL

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

We are out in the middle of nowhere and will be moving soon. We have tons of good stuff to give away but we are finding it hard to get any takers! It used to be that Freecycle was great but now they have changed to Freecycle.org and nobody out here is on it (or can't figure out how to use it.

I will end up burning and taking lots of stuff to the dump. sigh.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

EmmaR

If you are implying that we should not share with those that might need what we are not using because of the possibility of adverse consequences, each of us has to make our own choices.

I choose to share.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

Maybe some people pick stuff up they don't really need to sell, but I'm happy, I get the clutter picked up, they get the stuff or money from selling it. Everyone is happy.

Me, too!

I figure, fishermen harvest the fish that swim in the stream/river/ocean. Why shouldn't people harvest the junk stream? Bcs if you don't want it, that's what it is--junk.

Also, it takes a lot of work to turn that stuff into money.It doesn't just instantly transform--someone has to make sure it's in good repair, figure out where they can sell it, cart it around, photograph it and write eBay entries, store it while they're waiting, figure out how to deliver it. That's effort--the people who do that should be compensated for their time, energy, creativity, etc.

And I'm not willing to do that work. Why should I benefit? And why should I begrudge someone their labor? "The laborer is worth his wages."

RyseRyse, have you thought about contacting a charity thrift shop in one of the bigger towns? They might come out for a whole BUNCH of stuff, if you had a way to save it up, out of the way until they were ready.

But you know what? Don't feel bad about trashing it. It's all going to end up in the trash pile -eventually-; It's only a matter of whether it does good or evil along the way. You're sending it there before it can do a lot of evil (to you).

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company