Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumnlala_gw

Closet System or Custom?

autumnlala
10 years ago

Hello all! We are building a huge addition to our 1950s rancher -- effectively doubling the size of the home. Part of the addition will be adding a large master suite complete with his and hers closets. My husband's closet will be about 6' x 5 1/2', and mine is an L shape, 13' long and a little less than 5' wide for most of it, then the bottom of the "L" is about 9' by 5'.

I'm torn about what to do about shelving / rods in the closets. We had a visit from a local closet company rep., who quoted us $6000 to put in the elements we requested in the two closets (nothing fancy, mostly rods, shelves, and a few drawers in each, in their most basic melamine finish). I don't need the closets to be a "Showplace" but I do want them to be very functional.

Honestly I don't love the look of the closet systems, or that the widest section of rods is only 36" wide.

I'm debating whether it would be better to have someone just build us a basic closet system out of paint grade wood. That way we could have longer spans of rods, and basic shelves. This is what I had in the house I grew up in, and it worked very well.

We'd lose the drawers unless we had the cabinet shop who's doing the bathrooms do something? I could honestly do without drawers but my husband does want drawers (we could always put a small dresser in his closet).

Who has experience NOT using a "closet system" -- any experience with the cost difference and how it holds up? And who should we contact for a quote -- finish carpenter? cabinet shop (although I presume that would be more than the closet system)?

Comments (5)

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

I don't have any experience, but I have some thoughts.

There are *other* closet systems that might be less expensive. I don't know who you went with, but you might find it cheaper to buy Ikea or something else, and then pay a handyman to put it up.

I know Ikea has great planning tools for kitchens; I don't know what they've got for their Pax system.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/19086/

http://decorthis.com/pax-the-all-in-one-storage-wardrobe-from-ikea/

You

I would not go w/ a cabinet shop, because I agree with you, I think they'd be pretty expensive. Though if you have someone in the neighborhood who makes his own cabinets, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I'd go with a finish carpenter or other sort of woodworker.

Or, go to a place that makes bookcases, and see what they can do for you. They can make you shelving units and rods; the Gothic Cabinet Craft near me can even do drawers. (Though they aren't necessarily as inexpensive.)

You can also combine. If it really matters to you to have a rod longer than 36" (and you don't want to combine several 36" units to make what is essentially a long rod with dividers), you can get a finish carpenter/woodworker/cabinet BUILDER to make you the units that hold the rods, and you can get the drawer units from a closet place.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's really easy to build closet systems yourself ... and much cheaper.

Bring in dressers for the drawers, if you don't want to build them, screw the uprights to the sides of the dressers and then add hanging rods and shelving between the uprights to suit yourself.

Prime it and do one coat of paint before you cut, then touch up the dings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet systems, DIY

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of how to add a hanging rod to a cabinet.
    Basically, you just use a cabinet/bookcase/tall dresser as if it were a wall.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/45458277462420987/

• kmeyrowitz
    10 years ago

We have a walk-in closet outfitted with Elfa shelving, rods, drawers, etc. They're very easy to install, they're extremely well made, and they help you use the space to the max.

They're sold on line and in stores by The Container Store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elfa index, Container Store

• rjr220
    10 years ago

We just installed an Elfa system (we as in: took plans to Container Store, they designed with our input, and had someone install it as I work FT and am writing the proposal for my doctoral project . . . .)
    We love it. Very flexible, high quality, many options. AND . . . . we bought it at the 25% off sale that goes until Oct 20th, but if you can wait until 12/24 it's 30% off at that time. We are actually planning on doing a desk system for the family office space and will buy it at that time.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider