Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
books on storage and organizing

Posted by caseyb (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 05 at 14:09

I am looking for books to help me think out the design of some of our built-ins and closets, and then how to use them most effectively. I went to the library and picked up the "new kitchen idea book", and "storage solutions", both from Taunton Press. I also found a Martha Stuart book on "good things for organizing" - I've never been her biggest fan (I have my "who the hell is Martha Stewart" mother!), but I really like this book. I expect to renew it a few times if I can.

Has anyone found any other books that they really thought were great? Closets and built-in cabinets are really my focus right now (bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: books on storage and organizing

I have some good books on organizing in general but not anything on closets and built in cabinets. Sorry.

As I'm thinking of doing an addition (ha... how many times has anyone heard that on ehere)... I'm going to go look at your books.

G

o

My favorite book on organizing is Julie Morgenstern's Organizing From the Inside Out. It's good for making you really think about what should go where, what types of storage you need and how to make a home for everything. It's been a while since I read it, so I don't remember if she offers specifics on closet or kitchen cabinet structure, but it's well worth reading just to get your thoughts organized. Hope this helps!

o

I like The Organized Home by Randall Koll and Casey Ellis -- just some really good hints about clearing out -- and seasonal changes etc.

I'm not always keen on pictures of interiors used in many organizing books -- way too little stuff for OUR everyday lives -- but this book does offer great hints and ideas.

Usually I find my best inspirations in books or magazines that appeal to my sense of interior style or decor -- because most homes do need storage/closets etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here