Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

How are we doing with our schedules?

alisande
16 years ago

Elizabethzen, is your writing going well?

I'm really pleased with my increase in productivity. Of course, financial need is a great motivator! I'm at my desk every morning working on writing, and it feels good to have finished several projects that had been languishing far too long. I feel more productive with housework, too. One seems to feed the other somehow.

How's everyone else doing?

Susan

Comments (7)

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

Hi Susan, it sounds like making a schedule is going well for you. I'm not trying to write, but I do spend some time in the fall trying to get my medical stuff out of the way. It's a schedule of sorts, and yesterday I made three doctors appointments to deal with something that has come up. One thing I've learned (it relates to scheduling) is to take care of things while they're small, before they turn BIG. Going to the doctor is like writing for me; I can do it, but I don't always enjoy it. I do feel better when it's done! Motivation requires action, and practice helps make a habit. What I'm hoping for is to feel better soon, so that's the payoff for me.

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Uh. Not so good.

Man, could I ever use some structure! I really really need to catch up on some billing and other maintenance parts of this business. Quarterly taxes AGAIN by Saturday?! Auggggh.

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire, I hope you feel better very soon! Going to the doctor is infinitely worse than writing for me.... I never enjoy it.

Celticmoon, thank you so much for reminding me about quarterly taxes! Would you believe I get penalized every year for that? It's something my husband used to do, and I seem to have a mental block about it. Oy!

• SadieSadie
    16 years ago

Celticmoon and Alisande, good news for you -- quarterly taxes aren't due until Monday, because the 15th is on a Saturday!

Procrastination is ny big downfall. Every year I get an extension of our income taxes. DH is self-employed, and I do the tax returns because I have experience. I'm going to *try* to work on the 2006 return again today. The extended due date is October 15. Rats; that's a Monday. No further extensions due to weekends!

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG, can you believe I forgot about the taxes between yesterday and today?? I can believe it.

Sadie, I once heard some good advice from a rather odd source. I was invited to a corporate Christmas party where the hired entertainment was a retired police officer now working as a hypnotist. I don't know how he segued that night from hypnosis to a motivational speech, but for some reason he spoke about the word "try."

He said when we say we're going to try to do something, it almost guarantees that we won't. He gave as an example the person who responds to a party invitation by saying, "I'll try to be there." You know she won't show up. He said the word has the same effect on us when we use it ourselves.

I remember his speech well because it rang so true to me. I thought of a friend of mine who has a slew of self-defeating behaviors. He is his own worst enemy. He's always saying, "I'll try to get there on time".... "I'll try to have that project done next week"... "I'll try to find something for my wife's birthday." His friends know that none of these things are going to happen.

I think many of us on this board have the tendency to procrastinate. I know I do! But recognizing it is the first step to changing it. If you can say to yourself, Well, I really don't want to do this, and I'd rather do (whatever), but if I don't tackle this task now it's going to kick me in the head later, you can get it done. Just don't try. :-)

Susan

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Sadiesadie, that's not good news, as now I will likely leave it to Monday. Or try to get them today. No. I will do them today.
    In fact I will do them right now! .........................................................................................................................................
    .....................................................................................................................................................
    .....................................................................................................................................................

There. Couple snags, but they are in the mail. Yay me. One less thing for Monday!

Thanks for the push, Susan!

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good for you, CM! I, too, got motivated to write that check and get it in the mail. But the mailman arrived at my mailbox before I did.

Late again!