Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Custom-made may save in long run

Frankie_in_zone_7
16 years ago

Here's something I need to do, but haven't, so maybe I will start!

I like sofa pillows whose colors or fabrics can be changed for several different seasons or styles

(although am learning to limit, like, ones for spring/summer look and then cosy/wintry/Christmas-y--

(this is food for another whole thread about not being a slave to marketing ,or even just biting off more than I can chew, in the realm of "switching around" my decor--I mean, who really has time? It's so seductive, though.)

Anyway--I don't know about you, but I will buy pillows at Target, or K-Mart, TJMaxx, LinensNThings--wherever, and just be so excited if I "get lucky" and they happen to have MY colors in stock that season, or in style that year (insert: table runner, tablecloth, etc). However, certainly over the years I've bought items that are ALMOST but not quite right, and then bought others that were better, and so on. As an aside, recently some of these stores have been making zipper-covered pillows instead of not, and more stores are offering down-and-feather pillows, which I think are more comfortable, and I've sworn not to ever buy another lumpy poly pillow or a non-removable/washable cover.

But, I'm thinking, duh, I have available in town a number of nice fabric stores and decorating shops, and there are people who sew, and I could pick out EXACTLY the best fabric that does exactly what I need, and have the cover(s) (insert: table runner, tablecloth) made ( I don't sew, and yet plan in my future retirement or life to try some of the no-sew methods, as I can manage simple stuff, Stitch Witchery, and could surely make a table runner myself), and over time I would have spent less money having a few things custom made, and had less stuff accumulated that wasn't just right.

Not to mention, when you buy a pillow, you have....a pillow! When the system I really want, is just the number of pillows we need for chairs and sofa, with 2 ( or however many) sets of covers, and only store the off-season covers, not a pile of pillows.

Plus, there is the hidden time cost--when I limit myself to what's already made, I tend to cruise around "hunting" to see who's going to carry my patterns and colors, instead of just going to the fabric place, boom boom boom and be done.

For example, I've had some Pier One wicker chairs, with chair cushions, for years--still like them. But I wanted to have a removable cover for the cushions, as my cat likes to sleep on them and though I brush off hair, I wanted to be able to whisk something on or off, wash and get it really clean, and/or even have alternate color at times. Well, I was so proud of myself that I came across some quilted cotton Euro pillow shams and it hit me, bingo, they make great seat cushion covers. But, I've been struggling, and looking, for something like that for years, when I could have had something made!

I know this in part is due to lack of comfort with that approach and not at this moment knowing a home decor seamstress. Whereas, once I maybe developed such contacts, I'd feel great about doing it again.

Pottery Barn sells throw pillow covers & inserts independently, and so I may try some covers from them, but if they're not exactly right, I need to get up the nerve to have some made.

Comments (5)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think you're right--if you have a need for something specific, and you keep trying to buy something that will work and coming up w/ "almost right," you can spend much more $ in the long run. AND time.

I think you're also right that many of us don't develop the contacts for something like that.

And, we don't know what they cost to have them made, and sometimes this means we don't even try to find out.

i went w/ custom bookcases w/ doors in my LR, and spent $1,500, which is more perhaps than cobbled-together cabinets, etc., would cost, but the look was great, they fit exactly.

This is one reason why I often think first of stuff like "make your own cleaning cart out of wood," bcs the ready-made solutions are sometimes just so frustrating, which can translate into costly.

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

Frankie, I think that's a great idea -- BUT you do have to be careful.

I do sew -- and actually, I found lined curtains for my laundry room -- ordered at a cutesy decorating shop -- far cheaper than I could have made them. Fabric can be incredibly cheap -- and incredibly costly.

I recently made a shower curtain for my bath. I wanted a floral print -- something different. I could buy a shower curtain at TJ Maxx -- Marshalls -- Tuesday Morning for $20.

The fabric that I made the shower curtain out of -- cost me a $120. AFTER a 40% discount and another 20% discount. I love it -- its beautiful and after a very economical remodel (thanks to ebay and ReStore) -- it was fine. But it wasn't cheap.

Just go in with your eyes open -- and get yourself on the preferred customer lists. That will save you a lot.

Cathy

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

I would try putting an ad on Craigslist for someone to sew simple things. Check with your senior center. Put a note up at the fabric shop. Sewers definately hang out at the fabric shop. Check the Home Ec (now usually call consumer science) teacher at the local high school. He/she may know of some kids who do nice work and would like the money. Your local upholstery shops will make items like this, but they would be expensive.

Pillows are simple if they are just squares turned inside out and and a pillow form put inside. They are much trickier if you are wanting a box shape, a zipper and cording on the edges.

There are several books on no-sew decorating you might want to check out. If you have a good library, they probably have some of them already. Or the fabric shop probably carries some.

Gloria

Here is a link that might be useful: no sew decorating books at Amazon

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

Joann's carried zippered pillow covers about 2 years ago. Don't know if they still have them.
    My DD mailed me some fabric and zippers and I made her 6 simple pillow covers. Took me all of three hours to measure, cut, place zippers and sew around. Very simple. Others I have made for her we more complicated, needed cording.
    If you have a friend who sews, maybe trade something for the labor. I sure would like someone to weed around here!
    Kathy G in MI

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

I've been sewing pillow covers for a few years for myself and friends. The nice thing is being able to take it off to clean. Also, I make them with an overlapping flap in the back & make the flap at an end instead of the middle. Then I can store the extra covers inside the cover being used.

Pillow cases are really easy to make and there are a lot of no-sew varieties you could try that either use fabric glue or wrap and tie.