Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherhubbard_gw

Lock and Lock Food Storage Containers

motherhubbard
16 years ago

Checking to see if others in forum use these and how you like them. Where is the best source to purchase?

Comments (20)

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

I am sold on these - so much I gave away my tupperware and other assorted storage containers.

I bought a set of them at JC Penny's on sale for 50% off. I have also picked them up at the local Big Lots (best price).

• pegtn
    16 years ago

I also love my lock and lock. I have one that i always take camping,and even if the ice melts in the cooler, my lock and lock never leaks.

• motherhubbard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Rosesr4me. My JC Penny doesn't carry them but I will try Big Lots when I go to town tomorrow.

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

I also saw them at my local grocer (Publix) as well as in Walmart and Target. Big Lots did have the best price, however, it is always a hit or miss with BL - they receive items as they come available - they don't regularly stock a certain item.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

here's a link to one place these are sold, so you can see what they look like.

this set comes in colors!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Lock & Lock food containers

• happygram
    16 years ago

These look great. Do these stack well?
    Thanks in advance.

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

Yes, they stack well. They also have round shapes, but I find the square/rectangles are more space efficient.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

These do not nest for storage right? That's my biggest pet peeve trying to store the dang things when they are not being used.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

"nesting well" is my number-one requirement for leftovers containers. That's why I now use the disposable ones, bcs they are the only ones I've found that nest so tightly.

• marie26
    15 years ago

People on another forum were saying that these work well for keeping fruits and vegetables fresher longer. Can anyone tell me how well they work for this purpose. Has anyone stored mushrooms in them and if so, did you store them in the fridge or on the counter? How long did the mushrooms stay fresh?

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Marie, I don't know about mushrooms since we don't eat them, but I posted a picture of my veggie Lock and Lock that I started preparing once a week. Everything stays fresh until it's gone, and I've made salad from lettuce two weeks old that I had stored in the Lock and Lock, which kept it perfectly crisp. You can see my box in the Lunchmaking thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Lock and Lock

• marie26
    15 years ago

I'm seriously thinking about buying the Lock and Lock. I assume you keep the containers anywhere in the fridge. That would open up the veggies drawer for other items such as condiments that others here are doing. It's sounding beter all the time.

• marie26
    15 years ago

More questions. Do you wash the vegetables before you put them into the Lock & Lock?

Do you store fruit in them?

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Yes, I wash and cut them, often several different ways, depending on how I want to use them.

Yes, fruit too! In fact I have some frozen fruits that I like to put into the L&L, to thaw overnight in the fridge. It's just a storage container, as fruit doesn't last long around here.

• marie26
    15 years ago

Claire de Luna, thank you for responding so quickly. I saw a set at the local BB&Y for almost $40.00. I think I'm going to purchase the pieces separately. I'm in Canada and we don't have a Big Lots here nor a Target. These are 2 stores that I miss terribly.

• marie26
    15 years ago

I wish I'd remember all my questions at the same time but here's another one. Must the washed fruits and vegetables be completely dry before putting them into the Lock & Lock?

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Yes, because it's so good at locking in moisture. I always give my washed lettuce a spin in the salad spinner before it goes into the L&L, and air dry other things. FYI, I cut yellow, red and orange peppers almost a week ago into small pieces for stir frying which I did this evening. They were still perfectly fresh. I love that stuff!

Also, I like the pieces I bought from QVC; I've also acquired the egg cartons from Heritage Mint, and bought some glasslock at Bed Bed & Beyond. (Our Oriental Market also has glasslock so I could get it there.) I use the glasslock for reheating some foods, minus the lid, and will put that into lunch boxes so they can go into the microwave.

• marie26
    15 years ago

Claire, I'd never heard of Glasslock. If the only reason I'm purchasing these are for fruit and vegetable storage, would you recommend the L&L or the Glasslock?

For everyday storage, I love my Smart Spin. It is so compact and out of the way on a shelf in the kitchen cabinet.

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

I just use regular L&L for fruits/veggies. The reason I bought the Glass&Lock is so I can send lunches to be microwaved with my husband. I've never felt comfortable microwaving plastics, and this is the one place where I try to use glass instead. The glass is a little heavier, and I don't feel I need it just for storage.

• marie26
    15 years ago

Thank you again, Claire, for the feedback. I have a Lotus Sanitizer and I wash my fruits and vegetables in there. I hadn't put them away competely dry which I think explains why they didn't last as long as they should have using this system. So, now I'll make sure they're completely dry and buy the L&L to store them in. I've thrown out so much produce lately and it's such a waste of good money.