Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

if you stack your sweaters on a shelf (or even in a drawer)

talley_sue_nyc
16 years ago

I jsut saw a specially made divider for putting BETWEEN the sweaters, so that you can pull out the middle one easily without disturbing the fold of the ones above and below.

$10 for 6; I wonder whether shirt cardboad would work just as well?

There's a pparently a rubber friction pad on the top so that your sweater will sort of stick to the divider itself as you pull it out; maybe the underside is slicker? I'm guessing so.

But you could also get the same effect w/ some sort of stick-on pad--rubber, or even felt. (or even strips of rubbery weatherstripping).

Or use that clear plastic ribbed shelf liner, and put the ribs on the top, going across.

Comments (16)

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

Hi Sue
    I think the shelf liner,might trap moisture. Not sure. Seems like cardboard might do the same. Never hurts to try.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, the product I linked to would trap moisture too, then.

I'm not sure how the moisture would really be trapped--it's not an airtight seal or anything. Any moisture that somehow happened to be in the sweater (in the closet, not the steamy bathroom) could evaporate exactly the way it would now--through the sweater's holes, out the sides, etc.

But a solution like this would be the thing that would persuade me to stack sweaters on a shelf. The idea of trying to get out the center sweater has always made me refuse to consider it.

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

I would think any type of thin cardboard would work. Like cereal boxes. You could put some lines of puff paint on one side, which would give you some grip. It would only cost a couple of bucks for the paint to give it a try.

I think for ten dollars, this product would be worth a try. That's less than a couple of stops at your favorite coffee spot.

Think about where you would keep them when not in use and how to incorporate them easily into the putting away of clothing.

Gloria

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

where to keep them when not in use: IN the place you would use them.

Set them on their sides along the front of the drawer, or slide them under (or on top of) the stack of remaining sweaters.

I have plate dividers for my good china. My MIL was helping me set the table, and took them out of course. Then she said, "I'll set these here," and was going to lay them on top of the cabinet over the stove.

YIKES! I told her, just set them on top the plates that are still in the cupboard. Don't invent a SECOND place that they go.

• pammyfay
    16 years ago

Maybe the answer is to rejigger the shelfs in the closet. If there's so much space between them that sweaters would end up being piled 10 or more high, then the shelf heights aren't working for the person and adjustables are needed in there.

I stack, but I don't get myself crazy with seeking perfection in there--just ordinary neatness. If something topples, it takes just a few minutes to straighten up, and I just don't sweat it. I don't want to start buying more stuff so everything looks like a store display rack on opening day!

But people should make their closets work for what they wear--that's the bottom line.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nah, for me in this home, it's that the shelves are so high (OK w/ me, more floor storage, which I use very well), and I don't have to many sweaters that they won't fit in the dresser.

The reason I'd want to prevent toppling, or coming unfolded, it that I am amazingly lazy. Once I've done something, I don't want to do it again.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

I will say, I just hang all my sweaters, with the exception of a few holiday items, and hang all my workhorse silk or cotton knit T-tops for work, and the heck with it. I cannot manage folding and stacking carefully to prevent wrinkles and keep them neat. Plus, I need to see them and just pull out suit and top and get dressed.

I fold casual T's in drawer but that's "casually folded" and stuffed a little.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

I don't hang up sweaters because a) they will stretch out of shape and b) even padded hangars will leave marks in the fabric.

I use the Container Store's clear plastic stacking shoe boxes for sweaters and sweatshirts. You can buy stacking drawers specifically for sweaters, but I hate digging/rumpling/mussing the stack to get the one I want - which of course is always on the bottom. One thing I learned was to get the boot-size box... it holds my fluffiest/heaviest sweatshirt without squeezing. The regular shoe size holds 4 long-sleeved silk T-necks [side-by-side] or one average woman's sweatshirt. They stack 10 boxes high with no problems so far (the plastic doesn't bend or crack) and I've been using them for about 7 years. I always fold the arms onto the back [to the width of the box, about 15" and then roll up from the bottom. Although rare, sometimes a sweatshirt will have a crease or two when unrolled, but a few seconds in the dryer will shake those out.

Oh, and last weekend I just discovered that one box will hold the regular sized paperback books very neatly, spine up.

Here is a link that might be useful: shoe boxes

• kathyg_in_mi
    16 years ago

Try rolling them in the drawer. It works for us.
    Kathy G in MI

• crazykwilter
    16 years ago

Now how did this post escape me??? LOL

I think these are a great idea! DH and I just moved into military housing. The closets are SO small that we can't share one. DH has the one in the Master bedroom and I have the one in my sewing/guest room. There still isn't much room even though I don't have a lot of clothes.

Stacking t-shirts on the shelf will open up hanging space. The trouble with stacking has always been getting the one you want out of the pile without messing up everything else.
    Especially since I'm "vertically challenged"

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had my DD roll her T-shirts and stand them on end in her drawer, so she could pull one out without messing up the whole stack.

I even made her a "folding board" out of a manila file folder, so we could get them folded to the exact height needed.

I suppose you could roll sweaters or Tshirts and lay them flat in a cubbie or on a shelf; rolled up, they'd probably stay in shape as their neighbors were pulled out to be worn.

• evilchicken
    16 years ago

There's an easy way to remove sweaters/t-shirts/etc from a stack without messing it up (or buying pricey dividers):

1) Slide your hand underneath the sweater you wish to wear.

2) Place your other hand on top of the stack.

3) Pick up the portion of the stack that is between your hands, keeping fingers spread and hands pressed together so everything stays folded.

4) Flip it over and put it back.

5) The garment you want is now on top.

If you are finicky about which side goes up on your folded sweaters you can place the stack on a bed or something, remove the sweater you want, then flip the stack back over again before putting it back.

Rolling doesn't work for me as most of my clothes are the same color (black) so I can't tell which t-shirt is which unless I unroll them, and that gets to be a major annoyance.

-- EC

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Hmm, they kind of look like the thin, flexible cutting boards that come in different colors for different foods, or plain white that cost less than a dollar apiece. I have used them for many purposes: cut to shape and put under my stand mixer and food processor so the appliances slide easily on the counter; on my ironing board when I am pinning things to the garment I am making; even as dividers in my file cabinet. I love the things. If I stacked my sweaters, I'd try them there.

• premier
    16 years ago

Unless you have very tall stacks, which I wouldn't recommend, I don't see why you need anything to pull one out. I would never roll my clothes. Way to time consuming and I would think the clothes would look wrinkled.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

many sweater-storage units will stack 3 sweaters in a unit, sometimes 4. If you want the one that's not on top, you'll need 2 hands to get it out without disturbing the one above it.

Sherrmann, I use those flexible cutting boards for pinning, as well!

I never thought about putting one under my stand mixer; I'll have to look into that. I'm wondering it i'll make cleaning the counter just fiddly enough that I'd mind. Hmmmmm....I coudl always try, and see.

And I bet it would be useful to put one under the food processor in its nook (since its feet tend to stick to the paint)

• sheesh
    16 years ago

That's it, Tally. Just cut the shapes so they are just large enough to fit under the feet of the appliance yet invisible on the counter. They don't interfere with counter-cleaning at all, and make it so much easier to use the appliance. In fact, they help with cleaning because the appliance slides easily. And they're cheap!

Sherry

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor