Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

I found a bathroom 'armoire'

pinktoes
16 years ago

This is something unusual I ran across. The site has all kinds of furniture and other items for different rooms. I'm browsing for organizing ideas in general.

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom armoire

Comments (6)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I like that--it's pretty! And it looks useful. Not much room for towels, as configured, but would be a great substitute for medicine cabinet or over-the-john cabinet.

And of course, you can rolls towels up and stick them in almost anything.

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

talley_sue_nyc: Thought you'd like it. I have to finish designing my 3 baths' cabinetry this week for the new house. So, I'm pulling out old clippings and running across new stuff.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

pinktoes, here are my bathroom-cabinet fantasies

*a tilt-out compartment on the side, in the back, that holds the toilet-scrubbing brush

*a drawer on the toilet side, down low, that you can pull out to get to the femining necessities

*a drawer or door on the toilet side, higher up, that you can open or pull out to access toilet paper. Or, maybe a drawer (or a base to the cabinet w/ the door) that runs the full length of the cabinet, w/ aslightly slanted bottom, so the rolls of TP roll forward to the door itself. Sort of like those soda-can dispensers or racks that go in the fridge.

Of course, that's a lot on the toilet side; you run out of cabinet before you get them all in.

So, I'd settle for cubby-in-the-wall-between-the-studs for any of them.

Or, back-of-the-door pockets for the feminine necessities (I did this w/ shoe pockets I'd cut down and staple-gunned to the back of the door; it worked pretty well!)

Good luck, and have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: wouldn't it be cool if they made this for toilet-paper rolls?

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sue: this may sound either tacky or bizarre to you, but to solve the "running out of toilet paper just when you really need it most" problem, we simply installed 2 toilet paper holders side by side on the wall. They're pretty ones. And we're well disciplined so that as soon as one runs out we replace it (actually we cycle them, moving the one that's been sitting on the wall over to the right hand position on the wall, where we pull it from. Would it be apropos to say 'Call me anal' at this point?)

We love the system so much that we're replicating it in every bath in the new house.

I'm really stuck on my planning the bath cabinetry, BTW. My little guest bath (shared by me) has only a 30" x 22" sink base and the wall behind it and to its side for all the storage space for that bath. No linen closet in the bath, but one outside. I need all my potions and stuff in there, tidy enough for guests too. All the books and photos are of big baths. (Of course.) I'm fortunate to have a local cabinet shop to build what I want; just gotta design it. The uppers are the real stumper. Trying to overdo it probably. I'm a storage hog. I'd like to wrap the side wall and rear wall at that vanity with shallow cabinets!

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The little armoire is great, but I don't have room for it in my most problematic bath (just described above). I'm gonna take my predicament over to Bathrooms where it belongs. If anyone wants to help, join me there!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

That's, neat, the "two toilet-paper holders" idea. They do that in commercial/retail restrooms, often (of course, w/ huge, honking toilet paper rolls).

Little baths are very neglected. I have a VERY little bath, and there really isn't much. Not even shallow medicine cabinets (i.e., 3", instead of 5"), though these would be quite useful.

Go ahead and wrap the wall in shallow cabinets--use flat-panel doors, and paint them the wall color, if you'd like.