Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynandjon

Glass baking dish storage

cynandjon
16 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions on how to store lasagna type Glass baking dishes without stacking them. Im planning my kitchen cabinets and I find this a problem in my current home.

thanks

cyn

Comments (8)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You could stand them on their sides.

You could use tray dividers, to hold them in place. I'd vote for spacing the dividers so that a single dish *just* fits in the space. That way they can stand more upright, and you won't be tempted to put other stuff in there to lean on.

These are sort of big for uppers, but you could create something similar w/ wood. Or look into the shelf dividers usually shown in clothes closets; just space them much more closely. You'd have to investigate whether they'd slip if they had a lasagna pan leaning on them.

Or, you could find free-standing dividers, like this set of wooden pegs on a stand, often used for holding plates on edge. There are several styles of white wire dividers as well, usually shown holding bakeware (cookie sheets, muffin pans).

If one of those wire ones was too big (it had 4 slots, and you only have 3 pans), or the wrong shape (you wish one of the slots was wider), you could scrounge up a bolt cutter, and simply cut one off. (A dremel tool will let you eliminate any sharp edge that's left, if you think you need to).

W/ the wooden one, you might be able to either simply remove a peg, or cut it off w/ a saw.

If you wanted to store them horizontally w/o stacking them, you could use something like those three-level wire shelves that often are shown holding plates & bowls

This one looks a bit spaced out for lasagna pans, since those aren't that thick. So to find one of these w/ smaller spaces, look for cheaper ones, LOL!

You could put a wire undershelf basket under a shelf in an upper cabinet, and then it would create a not-too-high cubbyhole ABOVE the plates, or glasses, or whatever. There are one for place mats and for platters, if one of these turns out to be too high, or too short (the place-mat ones are often open on the ends)

Or, you could add a shelf to a cabinet, creating a cubbyhole. Just get some plywood cut to fit, and some iron-on edgebanding to cover the front edge. You can also buy shelving covered w/ melamine and have it cut to size. And cabinet-refinishing places will sell shelves in almost any finish (real wood, birch-look melamine, etc.) Space it closely. Depending on how wide the cabinet is, and how much you plan to put on it, you might be able to use 1/2" thick wood instead of the traditional 3/4"

And there are frying-pan racks that are something to consider.

And of course, the classic organizing idea: Seriously think about whether you truly need all of the pans that you have. (you might--even just one of them is hard to store))

• cynandjon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sue
    Thanks for your response. These are glass baking dishes. Its a hassle when they are stacked and it never fails ya need the one on the bottom. I only have 3 so thats not alot. they're different sizes.
    I thinking about making the shelves to fit each one in a horizontal position or standing on edge with dividers.Im not sure about the standing though, not sure they would be stable.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I know that you said that you do not want to stack them but have you tried putting something between them? I hate nesting glass dishes as they always stick and I am afraid of chips pulling them apart.

I put one of those empty plastic tubs that you get at the deli between them. Or you can use a large cap from a jar. That way they still nest slightly, but don't touch and get stuck together. You would still have to take them all down to get at the bottom one but it is easier to remove them one at a time rather than pulling ten pound of glass down all at once to get to the bottom one.

• cynandjon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi bud
    yes but my gripe is taking them all out to get to the bottom one. I believe I will have multiple shelves built to fit one dish each. one door. LOL
    thanks for your response.

• HU-515367461
    2 years ago

Ive got the same problem, always need the bottom one and they weigh a ton. im looking into pull out oganizers like Rev-A-Shelf or simular to see if something would work

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I have both my glass & pyrex baking dishes, and some extra baking sheets (those for the toaster oven, muffin tin, pie plates), stored on their sides in one of those dividers. The small, most frequently used ones are in a lower cabinet drawer, which also holds my pot lids and mixing bowls; the large, less often used pans/casseroles are in the 24" deep cabinet over the refrigerator.

• Momof5x
    2 years ago

You could use shelf stackers one dish underneath , one on top- there are three level ones too. You can find them in home stores.