Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muimui80

Rotary Recycling Center

muimui80
16 years ago

Currently I have an undercabinet corner space that has a lazy susan. I hardly use it as a pantry but, recently saw a great idea on how i could use it functionally in the kitchen from a "This Old House" episode.

I've been looking online and they sell almost exactly what i want for self-installation at $130. The only thing are the bins are white and you place a small colored sticker so you know which one is for cans, glass, etc. I want to find one where the bins are colored green, blue, or black. I'm having trouble finding something in my area or online. Please help!!

Comments (4)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

This one, right?

It's almost the only one I've seen, and those look like specialized trashcans, w/ that wedge shape.

Are you sure you can't live w/ the sticker? Or use acrylic paint to paint the top edge the right color? (the edge wouldn't work, though, I realize, bcs you'd probably have a garbage bag in at least one of them.

Most of the time, only one of them would be empty, and you'd know which was which by what was inside--wouldn't you?

Do you really think it would be that hard to tell them apart?

this pull-out has wedge-shaped containers in colors--I wonder if they could be adapted? But you'd have to have someone make the lazy-susan mechanism you put them in. A creative woodworker might be able to (I don't know if they'd fit)

I do like the lazy-susan as recycling-trash, bcs it's really sort of a hard space to put kitchen stuff in.

Were it me, I think I'd just buy some colored contact paper and stick a band of it around the top of each container.
    These folks have Dandelion Yellow, Fire Engine Red, Hunter Green, Kelly Green, and Royal Blue.

If you bought 3 rolls, you'd add $40 to the price of the unit. You could cut a 6"-wide strip lengthwise, and it would fit all the way around.

Good luck deciding!

• muimui80
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks sue for your response. Yes i can probably live without the whole bin being a certain color, it's just that i thought it prolly existed somewhere in the virtual world since i saw it on This Old House! i might take on your idea of using the contact paper or just spray painting (not sure if it will stick on plastic). nonetheless, thanks for the advice.

i will probably know the difference, but when grandma comes over for thanksgiving dinner i'm sure i will have to dig out the cans from all the mashed potatoes and stuffing!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Spray paint won't work on plastic.

Have you tried contacting This Old House to see if they can tell you where theirs came from? They often can tell you. And if it looked *exactly* like that, but came in colors, then contact Knape & Vogt, who make it (www.kv.com)--their customer service for stuff like that is really, really great. A friendly guy on the other end will tell you whether they still make it. Heck, call them now anyway and ask 'em if they *ever* made their version in colors.

And the color won't help w/ Grandma--people who don't understand about recycling also don't know the secrets of color coding.

Only WORDS (and maybe even not then). I'd be tempted to remove the recycling bins and stash them on the porch or something (not that *I* have a porch) until Grandma left.

• muimui80
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi sue....called KV and they don't make the colored types....i've decided that i'll just deal with the colored stickers and just help grandma put her dish in the sink.....LOL
    thanks for your advice..