Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing linen closet shelves? Need help quickly.

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 2:06

The carpenter is coming Thursday morning to do my linen closet. It's about 38x38 (interior dimensions) with a regular swing (outward) door. The ceilings are 8'3". I was thinking of doing 2 24" shelves (the two lowest, to hold folded comforters) and then doing 4 16" shelves. I will use to remainder of the closet depth to somehow hang the vac hose on the right side wall.

I measured a few of the Rubbermaid containers I have (the large ones) and they seem to max out at 18" tall, so I was thinking of having the bottom shelf at 19" off the floor so I can slide a container under there. Then a 16" space to the next 24" shelf, then 14" (above the second 24" shelf), then 10" spaces for the remainder. That leaves about 15 1/2" from the top shelf to the ceiling (space for out of season shoes in shoe boxes or clear sweater bags).

We have a closet in each bathroom, so the closet won't be used to store bath towels. It will hold sheets, blankets, comforters, comforter covers, table linens and beach towels.

What do you think? Any comments are appeciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing linen closet shelves? Need help quickly.

I like that you've measured the containers, and will space the shelves accordingly.

Too bad the carpenter won't make the shelves adjustable! (and of course, he's there now, so you can't ask him about the wisdom of installing a set of those adjustable-shelf strips like they put in bookcases.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1347&filter=shelf standards

That's what I want in my closets!

38" deep is really hard--square closets fit nicely on the floor plans, but they are really awkward sizes, aren't they!

o
RE: Spacing linen closet shelves? Need help quickly.

It's done! Well, the cleats are in and the shelves are made, now I have to fill the nail holes and paint it all. The carpenter is my very talented BIL. I'll have to post a picture of the shelf system he did in my mudroom. I don't think those standards would work in this situation. The MDF is heavy and prone to bowing, it needs a lot of support. There are cleats on the back and sides and a piece of decoration trim is nailed to the front to help prevent bowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here