Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

I'm looking for a particular poster

brutuses
14 years ago

I apologize that I do not remember your name, but your organizational ability I will never forget. I'm posting to ask if you wouldn't mind posting your photo's again of your pantry and other areas. I remember you had posted your laundry room and I believe a closet. You had everything labled and mentioned you even had things labeled for your DH for the laundry and the garage.

I have a friend I would like to share your talent with and also look at your photo's to give me some inspiration to get off my duff and get busy with organizing my new house.

This invitation also goes out to anyone who has some wonderfully organized spaces they would like to share. I think all of us would love to see them.

Thanks so much.

Comments (22)

• iread06
    14 years ago

Are you talking about Mustangs? I'll never forget the pix of her notebooks and her laundry room.

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry room

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Bru, if you think you posted on the thread, you can search (I know it takes forever) your "name" and see everything that you posted to. It's a convoluted idea, but it has worked many times for me! HTH

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Brutuses, I don't know if you were referencing me as iread06 (thanks Iread) suggested, but I thought I would share a few of my anal projects.

Binders for hardcopies:

Pantry:

Spices, Teas, and Cocoa, Alphabetized of course:

More Spices:
    {{!gwi}}

Junk Drawer:

Freezer Organization:

• brutuses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks iread, I see you remembered them.

jaybird, I knew it was ages ago and figured it wasn't even on the GW. You know they delete messages after a certain period of time and I know it's been maybe 2 since I saw Mustangs photo's. Thanks though for mentioning the search. I am a searcher when I think I have half a chance of finding something. LOL This time I'm going to put it in my clippings file so I won't lose it again.

Mustangs, thank you so much. Looking at your organizational abilities is so inspiring, I just can't tell you. You are my hero when it comes to oranization. LOL Thanks again. Now I'm going to go send it to my friend. She's going to die when she sees your photo's.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

the laundry room! don't forget the laundry room!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Brutuses, You make me blush!

Jessica, I added a small built-in pantry to the laundry room and need to take pictures.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry mustangs, it's true. You are the queen of organization. Have you thought about earning some money from your skill? I'd hire you in a second if you lived near me.

Is it you really like being organized or you just like making those cute lables? LOL, you know I'm kidding, right? I love to play with the label machine actually. Those labels are empowering.

I do have to invest in a better one though. The one I have works, but is difficult on my arthritic fingers to operate. Which one do you recommend?

• ronbre
    14 years ago

you do things very similar to how i do them Mustang..but i was impressed with the binders..do you use those plastic page inserts or what to put things inside the binders.

i use files for most of that stuff still..but i do use a lot of binders for a lot of things..

the page pockets are so expensive i seldom can afford them so i haven't gone as far as you have..i guess i could punch through the instruction books ..but then i might ruin the print.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Brutuses, Thanks for the compliments. Playing with labels--A little of both. A lot of the labels are printed using plain ole MSWord, cut into the appropriate size, and slipped into the holder that clips onto the shelf or door. They are the things that are used in grocery store shelves.

I have been thinking about reaching out to the two organizers in my area to have a informational interview (tap them for information about the service) to see what their experiences and thoughts are about the business. OR if they need an associate!

Ronbre, After taking out any foreign language pages and stapling the sales receipts to the manual, I punch holes if it's the appropriate size. The smaller manuals are put into page protectors. One package of protectors has lasted a long time. The titles on the binders are transparencies from my overhead project days. I just print using them instead of paper, cut them to appropriate size, slip them into the spine of the binder.

BEST TIP: For me one of the most effective practices for organizing pantries and cabinets is what Talley_Sue always advocates--use the otherwise wasted head space. I have gone through closets, shelving, and cabinets and added shelves to give additional storage, less cluttered storage, and more efficient storage. Whether it's wire shelving or boards, I will add extra.

DAILY VITAMIN/SUPPLEMENT:

SOME OF THE CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS:

LAUNDRY PRODUCTS:

DH DOES HIS OWN LAUNDRY; HE SORTS AS HE UNDRESSES IN HIS CLOSET THEN CAN DO ONE BASKET AT A TIME:

JOB AID FOR DH ABOVE WASHER:

• brutuses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mustangs, I so want to store my Christmas decorations this year like you have yours, in containers with labels. I went and purchaesd a bunch after Christmas last year for our new house. We didn't really decorate this house, but will have the ability to decorate the new one. I love Christmas. Right now all those decorations I purchased are piled in the office we haven't moved into yet. I only got as far as putting the smaller items in plastic containers, but they are not labeled.

I tell you gal, you are an inspiration.

ronbre and others, please post photo's of your organized cabinets also. I would love to see them.

Mustangs, let us know how that meeting goes. An information video sounds great. I'd definitely buy one.

• donnawb
    14 years ago

Nice job Mustangs. I am so impressed with you getting your DH to not only put clothes in the hamper but in the correct one. Great job!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

yep, I'm saving these pics and instructions for when I move. I want everything sorted and organized in my new place.

mustangs - you should post - at least the pantry pics - on the kitchen forum. We keep a list of the pantry threads for new people - or old ones who are just getting around to putting in a pantry etc.

or you could find an older thread and add on to it I guess. It'll come to the first page and everyone will check it out. They'll swoon over yours!!!

also, find out what those people charge and for what...could have a friend interview them for the job at her / his place to get an idea of what to charge. you put out a flyer and you're in bz girl! don't forget to get a bz license if needed in your area. (I used to do those for a local city). If you decide to do that, let me know and i can give you a few ideas on how to contact people.

btw, do you live in AZ by chance? dbf needs someone to organize his office...

• clg7067
    14 years ago

Very nice!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Desertsteph, Thanks for the suggestions. Darn! I don't live in or near AZ. I will share with you -- my department held annual 360 feedback sessions; we gave written feedback to each of our colleagues (hated giving more than receiving it). I received feedback that I spent too much time working on projects that didn't add value. It was good feedback for me and going forward I used it to judge my projects. I found that I was redesigning corporate forms; making job aids; professionally labeling everything, etc.

• azmom
    14 years ago

Mustangs,

You should go into business. Everyone can organize, but organizing as well as you do takes talent and imagination.

Have you thought about writing a book? To include, just to name a few:

Under each functional area (pantry, home office, entertainment area, garage..etc), list the thought process behind the organization, the instructions in steps, the source of tools (where to get the folders, containers, label makers..etc.), the maintenance schedule (replacing spices after a period of timeÂetc), and the potential for future growth (in case need to expend or change). Please use lots of photos . You don't even have to finish the entire book first, instead, you can electronically releasing it by chapters, I will be among the first ones to purchase the book.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

You all are inspiring me with your supportive comments. Well until I face my dirty little secret--incoming paper management!

Last year someone (wish I could remember the contributor) explained the binder method. I bought into the system, tweaked it for my needs, and managed it for a short time before I succumbed to the paper demon once again. The last few days I have tried to pin-point what is causing the paper piles to reappear. Some of it has to do with:
    uncertainty in reacting to financial reports
    not liking the task of doing the accounting function for our organization until forced to by deadlines
    cooking magazines-I read them as soon as they come in but hate to throw them away as I can reread them and find something applicable for a current menu

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Well, no matter what you say, I am totally impressed! LOL

• User
    14 years ago

Re: the binders for warranty information, etc. Instead of sheet protectors, for full size booklet types, there is a plastic holder you can slide onto the middle of the booklet. On the outside, it's punched for a 3 ring binder. You can find them in office supply stores or on Amazon. See link. I have also used them to put knitting patterns into binders, though they're referred to as magazine/catalog holders.

Here is a link that might be useful: magazine holders

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

Or you can just throw away all the instruction booklets and look them up online if you need them.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I think that is so cool! I saved two product manuals this week to a pdf file. Both were older products so I was surprised to find them online.

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

I keep all of my instruction manuals, minus the foreign languages, and make use of a highlighter for 'need to know' info. However, our new Sony flat screen came with minimal instructions. Thanks for the downloading tip. Now I can decipher what it is all about :-)

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

NP! I was sold after I could find the manual for a 7-year-old PHONE(!!!!). :-)