Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justgotabme

Making use of what you've got.

justgotabme
15 years ago

This is an antique cabinet I bought through Craigslist awhile ago to redo and sell. Well, I redid it, but before I did so I realized it would be handy to keep fabric and other sewing items in close to my sewing machine. (My store of fabrics are now in the basement.) I didn't think to take a picture of what's inside. I'll do that tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing just how I used it. Nothing special.

The blue is the before pic. I took off the ugly (to me anyway) cap on the front and added trim for a crown affect. I then painted it a chocolate brown and added anaglypta. I wasn't thrilled quite yet so I used a very cheep brush and waterbased walnut stain to give it more of a rough wood grain. Sorta, kinda like anyway...

I just finished adding waterbased poly which brings out the "grain" more. I'll take new pix of that tomorrow to see if it shows any better than before the poly did in a pic. I'd do it now, but my hubby just got home from golfing league and I want to spend some time with him before we head to bed.

{{gwi:1799144}}

{{gwi:1799142}}

You can see a bit of the fabric in this view. I need to purchase a new catch for it next time I get into the city.

{{gwi:2001758}}

Comments (18)

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice...JGBM ! I like the use of the anaglypta. I have a few rolls of it that I bought some years ago, thinking I would use it in my hallway. I recently painted the hallway and decided not to use it. I had not thought of another use for it. But it looks great in your wood piece. Did you paint the anaglypta too?

• elizabethzen
    15 years ago

Great job! Your idea was a good one and your execution a definite success. Do you keep sewing notions in this cabinet too?
    Elizabeth

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

I like your crown idea better than that cap.

Nice work! The anaglypta in the inset panels is an interesting idea.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Nice job!

Wow, a garage with only three things visible....car, dropcloth, cabinet.......wow.

Barbara

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Ladies. I'm happy you like it.

brugloverz9, there are so many uses for anaglypta wallpaper, though furniture seems to make the best use of it other than walls or ceilings. You'll have to look at things differently next time you have something to redo.

elizabethzen, here's a couple pix of the inside of this cabinet so you can see just how I've used it. I was in a bit of a hurry to get the fabric out of tubs and refolded to fit in here. I didn't take time to color code, other than the remnants, as you can see. I did kind of group them by season and separated kids fabrics, but that's as far as I took time to do. I needed to get busy sewing. I make pillow slips and aprons to sell and also sew whatever my customers need me to.

{{gwi:2001759}}

{{gwi:2001760}}

talley_sue_nyc, I was a bit afraid to take off the cap since this is a very old piece. But then again it was obviously home made for a utility cabinet out of construction lumber. Not furniture grade lumber. So I ripped that baby off, measured, mitered and nailed.

Barbara, that's just one end of the garage. I'll have to show you the other end sometime. It's not always perfect, but we can always get two full sized cars, a rider mower and a honkin' big snow blower in there. Well other than when I decide to paint something there instead of in our woodworking rooms in the basement. We live in the country and for now don't have an outbuilding. Just the cement it will someday be built on.

~Becky

• donnawb
    15 years ago

You did a great job and that piece and it sure can hold a lot of fabric. Thanks for sharing your idea.

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Beautiful makeover! Congratulations on making this work ''just right''.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Fabulous job. I have an old secretary that ought to be lovely and isn't, and you have inspired me to get it painted and organized for my sewing stuff. I don't do much of it any more, but if my area were as well organized as yours is, I might do more.

• maryliz
    15 years ago

Can you hear my applause? You get a standing ovation. I think that your "new" cabinet looks very nice. Thanks for showing us the inside. You fabric is neatly arranged, so that you can see what you have, to use in a project.

Now I have to find out more about this anaglypta stuff. Never heard of it.

• mvastian
    15 years ago

Becky,

This is lovely!!! And I love your fabrics. And the idea of renewing and even upgrading something old and simple. Ahhh...

If I was using this cabinet the same way you do, I'd add two or three shelves cut from unfinished light colored wood and stained the same as the rest of it, just to be able to get to the bottom of the stacks more easily. It looks very nice now that it is just organized, but for me it would be difficult to maintain because the stacks are higher than I can easily handle.

Maria

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

I'm like Maria--I'd add shelves (you probably already know this, but I had to wait years to find out that you can get a neat edge to plywood by ironing on "edge banding" veneer strips--they sell them at lumber stores in the standard plywood widths, and you can use your household iron)

those baskets sitting on top of the rolls of fabric is a giveaway.

I once saw Martha's team do something like that, adding shelves, but they made the in-between shelf just a teeny bit shorter than the existing shelves, to keep it from looking so clogged, and so they could reach the stuff on the lower shelf more easily.

I would be tempted to stand there and just look at those colorful rolls of fabrics.

I'm curious--you have fabric rolled on one shelf and folded flat on the other. Is one easier to deal w/ than the other? Better for certain types of fabric?

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

What a great job! And the neatness of the fabrics is terrific, I know how hard it is to keep that stuff neat.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much. I did have fun watching it's transformation. Now if I can just convince myself to paint something for over the fireplace for my dear hubby. He'd be happy with some of my photography, but I'd like to either sketch or paint something.

dd50, I was surprised at how much it held too. That's pretty much the reason it's not all color coded. I went through the containers of fabric in the basement bringing up what I thought it would hold and each time I was shocked at how little room it took once refolded to fit the depth of the shelves.

Claire, your comment made me think of an old TV show that the guy at the end often said "I love it when a plan comes together". I can hear the theme song in my head, but can't hold the name of it in my head long enough to remember it. Just pops in and right out again. Eight is all that stays and I'm not even sure if that's part of the name. We'll just call it a Dori moment. (the blue fish from Finding Elmo, NO, there I did it again. Finding Nemo!)

bronwynsmom, I have an old secretary to fix up too. I bought it off Craigslist for only ten dollars. It has a terrible paint job on it. I'm thinking of using beadboard anaglypta with trim around it to add some character. It's in the Sunroom just sitting there waiting to look pretty. I was hoping to use it for my computer, but my flat monitor is too tall. :(

MaryLiz, I'm so happy you told me it was *you* applauding. The kitties and I have been looking all over the house wondering where it was coming from! They'll be so happy to hear I figured it out. You know how curious kitties are...
    As for anaglypta, it's a textured-paintable wallpaper. If you have a Lowes they have quite a variety, even in beadboard, which we purchased to do the ceiling in the Sunroom with.

Maria, if I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get sewing I'd have added extra shelves. Though when picking a fabric other than the top one I slide my left hand under the fabric above what I want raising it just enough so I can easily pull out the one I want without making a mess of them all. To replace a piece of fabric I do pretty much the same thing. I shop like that too so I'm always getting offered jobs. HA!
    Anyway, I'm glad I didn't add shelves then because reading your comment got me thinking and I realized I could add vertical dividers between the top and second shelves so I can sort the colors of remnants that way. I'll still add at least one more shelf somewhere though.

talley_sue_nyc, you are right I have heard of the laminate strips. Though I have never used them, they are a great product. We added triple bead trim to shelf fronts in our closet redo. The lam would have been more cost effective, I'm sure, but never gave it a thought. I'm glad you mentioned it because I keep forgetting to try it.
    I see you are a Martha fan too. Even my hubby admitted that he didn't mind watching her show. Not that he'd make a habit, mind you. But he did mention how pleasent she is to listen to whether you're interested in what she's talking about or not.
    The fabric in rolls came that way. They are called remnants. Usually from the end of a bolt or possibly from the middle if there's a flaw. They are always marked lower than they'd be if cut from the bolt. You can find just about any fabric a fabric store sells on a remnant at one time or another.
    As for standing there looking at the fabric, I've so done that. Sometimes when I walk by this cabinet I open it to take a peek. I love fabric and worked in three different fabric stores over a period of a little over a decade and have fabric "collections" from each of them and then some! I'll have to see if I still have a picture of when my dear hubby bought me four shelving units and sixteen-fifty six quart clear containers to store what fabric I had at the time in. And that was just a fraction of how much I have now. The cabinet only holds such a teeny bit of the total. I love going through my fabric now and then. Some bring tears since I'd purchased it shortly before my Mom passed away suddenly. I'd plans for making a few outfits for her and some nightgowns. But I cherrish the memories of picking out what I knew she'd like too.

mustangs, is your name about horses or the cars? My daughter went to a friends family farm in Cali over the fourth and had to call me because she got to ride a "REAL mustang Mom!". She drives one too, but this was even a bigger thrill.
    I really don't have too much trouble keeping my fabric neat. I'm rather obsessive about it. And to me this isn't really neat because it's not color coded and it's not all the same size. 8^O

Well, now that I've written my first book, I think I'll go relax for a bit.

Tootles!
    ~Becky A Team! That's the name of the show! I was hearing "A" not eight. That's what was throwing me.

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

Gorgeous, perfect...well done!! You have every right to be very proud. :-)

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Jamie!

• elizabethzen
    15 years ago

justgotabme - The inside is as impressive as the outside. Thanks for letting us peak inside. I definitely have storage space like this on my future project's list. I might even start sewing again!

Elizabeth

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Elizabeth. I hope you do start sewing again. I know I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it this time around. It's more relaxing then it used to be.
    ~Becky

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

MaryLiz...
    "Now I have to find out more about this anaglypta stuff. Never heard of it."

Anaglypta...is paintable wallpaper with an embossed pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: anaglypta