Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I pile boxes on a piece of marble?

Posted by SusanCF (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 20:58

A neighbor who is moving gave us a small round marble tabletop from her garden, which we plan to use after we remodel. My husband set the piece of marble on a shelf in the garage. Space is at a premium as we are storing everything we can in there, so would it be all right to pile boxes on top of the marble, or is it likely to crack if there is heavy weight on top of it? If I can't pile things on top of the marble, would it be okay to store it on its side? It takes up a lot of room lying there flat with nothing on it.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I pile boxes on a piece of marble?

I think whether you can stack stuff on it probably depends upon how thick the marble is and how it is formed. If it is laying flat and the whole bottom of the marble is touching the shelf, then I would assume it is ok to stack some stuff on it. If there is a lip or something on the edges so that the inside of the botton surface of the marble is not touching a shelving surface, then I wouldn't stack stuff on it.

As far as storing it on its side, will it be stable in the upright position so it doesn't fall over? If so, I would assume it would be ok. Marble slabs for countertops are stored on their side in the warehouse before you buy them.

o
RE: can I pile boxes on a piece of marble?

I agree, turn it on its' side. I wouldn't store anything on top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here