Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
des_arc_ya_ya

Owners' Manuals/Warranties, Etc.

des_arc_ya_ya
15 years ago

For those of you not happy with how you keep warranties and manuals on appliances, tools, etc., my DGD and I put together a three-ring binder with acetate sheets holding the manuals, etc. We used tabs and have them in the notebook alphabetically. She loved helping me do this and it is a great help.

We're keeping it in a cabinet - out of sight, but still handy. It's already come in handy lately for replacement part #s, etc.

What about you? Do you have a good system for keeping these things where you can readily get a hand on them?

Comments (9)

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Great idea! We have a four drawer file cabinet and ours are filed alphabetically under appliances, electronics, etc in the second drawer. The file cabinet is in the Library so it's very handy right behind my hubby's desk.
    I use a three ring binder for sorting my beads for jewelry making. They're in little zipper bags sorted by color and tucked into acetate photo holders. I have so many beads that I take it shopping when they're are on sale so I won't buy what I already have.

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I actually try to get as many of the owner's manuals as possible on the comptuer - downloaded from teh web site - i hate paper!

• elizabethzen
    15 years ago

I use a plastic magazine file (sort of like the one in the link below). I also keep warranty information with the manual in a zippered baggie that slips easily into the file. I have one in the kitchen for kitchen appliances and gadgets  I also plan to put others in the laundry room, garage, etc. for items residing in those rooms. I like the kind that are clear and have a little "give". They hold a ton and its easy to look through to find what I need.
    Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: magazine file

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Des, I use the same system. I have one binder for indoor and one for outdoor. As mentioned before here, remove the pages of foreign language.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I should have added that I use page protectors for the odd sizes. I also put the sales receipt with the manual.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

mustangs,great to mention it's so important to store your receipts with the manuals. Smart!

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I need to borrow one of your ideas because I just put mine in a small cabinet I have and never look in there. Last time I needed something I found manuals for things we no longer own and haven't for a long, long time. Need to put that on my list of things to go through.

• maryliz
    15 years ago

I keep user manuals, receipts & warranties, etc. in manilla folders -- the kind that have sides so the papers won't fall out. I try to break up the categories so that the contents of any one folder don't get thicker than about a half inch. Less to look through to find the one I'm after.

I don't keep all manuals in the file cabinet upstairs. For manuals and instructions which actually get used, I keep the manilla folder near the item.

We have all the exercise equipment in a corner of the basement. All the manuals for the equipment are down there, and the tools for adjusting the equipment, along with magazine clippings of exercise routines, etc.

The folder full of manuals for the TV, DVD, VHS, etc. is kept in a coffee table drawer in our TV watching area.

Instructions for the telephone answering machine get stored in the drawer of the telephone table, along with a couple of phone books and some take-out menus.

Oh, and when I need to add a new manual to a folder, or put one away after use, I might have a quick look though the entire contents of the folder. I remove manuals for anything we don't have any more. That way, I purge useless papers as I go.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

What's fun (if anything) about being able to get my hands on the manuals is when sell something on Craigs List or give something away on Freecycle, people are impressed that I have the manual to go with the item.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor