Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peanutpeanutbutter

outdoor storage???

peanutpeanutbutter
11 years ago

We are following our better budget strategies and have taken our "stuff" out of storage. That's going to save us a bundle!

Many of our items are family "heirlooms" and memories, like quilts, grandmother's "secretary" desk, dad's solid oak student desk, books (we love books), other household things we'd rather keep than give away or sell, and some other such items etc.

We certainly do not have room to store everything in our home, and we don't have a basement. Our small garage has been converted to the man cave.

What are some options for us to store these items outside, without building an actual permanent shed or room for storage? We need some options!

We'd want to protect things from the elements of course and think we could put everything inside of an 8 ft by 8 ft area--and it would have to have a cover too. I guess it would be semi-permanent and for long-term-ish storage.

We used to have one of those metal storage sheds but that was horrid when it came time to take it down, and it was difficult to get rid of too! That's why we ended up renting storage space.

Any help would be very appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Peanut

Comments (8)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

If they are that important to you, do NOT store them, especially outside.

USE the items!

• peanutpeanutbutter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I understand, but for the other items that I'd like to keep somewhere rather than use, I really need some ideas please!

• trancegemini_wa
    11 years ago

In my opinion, if you can't use it then it's best to part with it. Things in storage do get ruined, from damp, insects etc so much of it could end up being destroyed anyway no matter how much you try to preserve these things. I would rather pick a few favourite pieces that I could use in the house and sell or donate the rest. If you're not using it, then what good is it? You'll never even look at it once it's stored. I think sometimes we put too much importance on keeping things that really don't serve a purpose in our lives and I think it's better to give them away so that other people may enjoy them or use them and do them justice.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

If you don't love them enough to keep them indoors and use them... what is the reason for storing them?

You mention quilts.
    Quilts are meant to be used, not to sit in a shed to slowly rot away. I am sad when I make a throw and people don't use them, instead treating them like some museum piece, tucked away.
    I make them to be used, as the makers of yours probably did also.

• peanutpeanutbutter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your input and responses. Time to re-think things on my end!
    Peanut

• tripletmom83
    11 years ago

Peanut, it sounds as if you may have sentimental attachment to those objects. To me those are the hardest things to part with. May I suggest that you take pictures of your heirlooms if you do decide to part with them.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

For smaller items, like the books and quilts, you could consider space bags or another sealed storage option. But the furniture really needs to be inside a climate controlled area ... Like your house.

Do you plan to move to a larger home where you will need this additional furniture? Is there any way you can use it today, even if it's in an unconventional manner? Perhaps the secretary could be used instead of a bureau, and you could get rid of a bureau you do not care for, that sort of thing is what I'm thinking of.

Good luck, tough decisions ahead but you can do it.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Many of our items are family "heirlooms" and memories, like quilts, grandmother's "secretary" desk, dad's solid oak student desk, books (we love books), other household things we'd rather keep than give away or sell, and some other such items etc.

Might there be other family members who would love and cherish some of these items in their homes? Brothers, sisters, cousins, nieces, nephews? I'm thinking it is high time that I pass on 'Gram's' kitchen table that I have now stored in the basement for over 20 years. I imagine that there is some younger family member who would love to have it and who would have room to use it in his or her home.