Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinetry for small pantry

Posted by sf7307 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 18:23

In our new apartment, we will have a pantry, but it's not very big - about 55" front to back, 72+" long and a low ceiling (76"). I'd like to store all rarely used items in there - including cookie sheets, Le Creusets, appliances like the mixer (which I use maybe twice a year), as well as extra food and supplies (paper towels and the like).

We haven't figured out yet what kind of door we'll install (about 2' of the front wall would be behind some stairs, so a sliding door wouldn't expose the entirety of the pantry), but we're open to suggestions.

I'm thinking of 10" deep shelves on the front wall, 24" deep shelves on the "turn" (the short wall), and maybe 15" shelves on the back wall.

I'd love your comments/suggestions. (p.s. I haven't been on here in a long time, but I designed my previous kitchen with all of your help and it was fantastic - but we've moved to an apartment and I'd like to create this pantry "out" of the kitchen, but nearby).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinetry for small pantry

I have a stand alone type of cabinetry In my kitchen.
It does not house my small appliances but mostly canned foods, cake mixes, canisters etc. It is painted to match my cabinets. It is very useful in my small kitchen and we use it every single day. It is very handy. It is tall about 6 feet and width I would say is 32 inches, We had it made by a local store. I do wish I could put smaller appliances in it. But we need the food storage space. I have it against an out of the way spot. But is handy to get too. Mine also has doors that you can not see through. Rather plain but nice looking.
Mary

o

This is an apartment--do you own it? Or are you otherwise able to do lots of structural stuff to it?

Or, as with many apartments, will you be required to fit your solutions in without modifying the existing infrastructure?

Can you make the slanted area under the stairs be pullouts like this (and then have the more rectangular part be a more conventional treatment:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Or, put a jagged door on the space:

Or, this is nice--pullouts in an understair pantry. You might use something like this to help you access stuff under the stairs AFTER you step into the little pantry room.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/682839/Kitchen-pantry-built-in-under-the-stair--with-with-pullout-shelves---kitchen-seattle

These people put a huge roll-out unit in a closet, so that the entire closet is accessible.

And this is similar, except that the pullouts are individual instead of a unit. (in fact, the person whose pic this is ditched a single-piece pullout because it wasn't easy enough to use. But you can get them custom-made as deep as you like (though, wait a minute--extra-deep drawer slides aren't necessarily cheap or easy to get--28" w/ an extra 1" overtravel, so a 29" drawer for full-extension, is the affordable version, and 36" is very expensive ).

They've got the full how-to.
http://doordiy.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/extended-shelf-life/

Another example:

These folks took the wall and sank several pantry pullouts (and a closet) into it.

o

Can you post a picture? And a floorplan?

Having turntables in the corners might give you maximum storage. Dead corners are useless.

24" deep shelves? What needs shelves that deep?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry with Lazy susans

o

Thanks all. We do own the apartment, but I should clarify - the stairs are just 4 steps up from the hall to the main level. I'll post a picture over the weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here