Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgsullivan

Organization suggestions

HGSullivan
10 years ago

Cool ideas for organizaing new construction home. Any ideas about additions that will help me. Saw where someone posted that pull out drawers in kitchen a must.

Comments (12)

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

ooh, if it's new construction, you might see if your contractor will install toe-kick drawers in your kitchen!

Here are some links

This is a company that makes them as part of their cabinet--it's kind of expensive.
    http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/style/Large.aspx?photo=Tho.BaseToeMHb.S&name=Base%20Full-Height%20Cabinet%20with%20Toekick%20Drawer

This guy made his own, using an Ikea drawer. Easiest to do before the cabinets are installed. And probably pretty inexpensive, since the Ikea drawers are about $22. (But they're great drawers!)

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/01/super-secret-toekick-drawer-for-kitchen.html

the drawers:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30108928/

another one; this one used Ikea's actual cabinets, but the principle would work with any.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Ikea-kitchen-toekick-drawer/?ALLSTEPS

This one was added to an existing cabinet, and it's a stepstool AND storage.

http://blog.hgtvremodels.com/2013/07/22/secret-kitchen-cabinet-storage-the-toe-kick-drawer-with-michael-anschel/?soc=pinterest

and HERE are directiosn for adding them after the fact.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/kitchen/storage/how-to-build-under-cabinet-drawers--increase-kitchen-storage/step-by-step

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

Here's another more general thought:

Think about the things you use regularly that are hard to store.

Vacuum cleaner
    ironing board
    dog food

stuff like that.

Think about where you'd like to store them, and be sure you have closets in places that work for you.

Also--mudroom / front-hall closet. Be sure you have places for coats, boots, etc.

It's the same sort of idea--think of all the things you regularly put your hands on (dog leash, boots, umbrella, coats, tote bags of stuff to take with you, etc.). And make sure you have enough room, and a dedicated space, that's not in the middle of the walking space.

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

And with new construction, you get the chance to rethink your laundry setup.

The hot new thing now is to put the washer and dryer up by the bedrooms, so the clothes don't go up and down the stairs (esp. all the way to the basement) simply for laundering.

Of course, you need to have a good pan w/ a high lip for the washer to sit in, and it needs to access a drain, so that if a pipe breaks, or the washer cracks and leaks, you don't flood the house.

But lots of people have successfully installed their washer & dryer upstairs. Some of the front-loaders can actually hold far more than you think (my mom's Asko could), so you don't even need a huge honking machine. Plus, if it's easy to get to, you may find it easy to do smaller loads.

And while you're at it, think about hampers, drying racks, etc., and see if you have room for them somehow.

This post was edited by talley_sue_nyc on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 13:04

• bleusblue2
    10 years ago

Talley Sue -- I just had such a headache trying to find a top loader that would fit in the closet. Why a top loader? Because all the advice says, don't install a front loader on an upper floor; the vibrations aren't good or something. Probably in new buildings the builder takes that into consideration when putting laundry room on an upper floor.

• quasifish
    10 years ago

Kitchen cabinet drawer-shelves are good.

Also a well designed pantry- either walk in or cabinets.

Put thought into your laundry room too- I'd definitely aim for indoor laundry if possible. I just recently learned how much deeper (cabinet-wise from front to back) the average front loading machines are, versus top loaders. We had trouble finding a large capacity that fit into our walk-through laundry room (wanted a larger one that could wash large comforters). Anyway, I'd plan a new laundry room to accommodate the depth of new machines, even if you don't have one or plans on buying one for a while.

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

I know so many people who put top loaders on upper floors.
    Even if you weren't worried, surely there's a way to isolate the vibrations from the rest of the structure?

If you can't do a laundry room on an upper floor, at least look into the ground floor instead of basement.

I wanted to mention this as well: When my parents retired, my mother insisted on finding a home in which she could have all the truly crucial elements on the main floor. So, no laundry in the basement.

She was worried that as they got older, it might become impossible to get up and down the stairs. So if it was an important function, she wanted it on the main floor. That ruled out homes where all the bedrooms were upstairs, as well.

She also insisted on finding a home that would let her get in the door without stairs. The one they bought had 3 steps between driveway and front door, but if they'd needed to, the slope was gentle enough that they could have built a ramp.

So for our OP, if you think you might want to stay in that home long-term, think about accessibility.

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

Did you see this thread over at the "Building a Home" forum?

"I keep hearing that most people find that there are small things that they didn't think about until after they finished construction that they wish they would have added into their build, and I was curious if all of you would like to help me to compile a list for all of us to consider during planning!"

Here is a link that might be useful: tons of

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

One of the guys in that thread over there suggested these two books;

"Myron Ferguson has a book out, "Better Houses, Better Living" that is invaluable read. I have the previous version "Build It Right" and my subcontractors all read it on their downtime (lunch, breaks, took home after work) and identified numerous items within their trade that they had never thought about."

• mvastian
    10 years ago

Wow Talley Sue! great to "see" you again. It's been a long time since I was here last...

Maria in Greece

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

Hi, Maria!!!

• daybydaybyday
    10 years ago

All kichen cabinets below countertop height should be pull-out drawers.

You need a pantry for dry food items.

Make sure you have a central closet large enough for your vacuum, electric broom, and carpet shampooer (if applicable).

Hampers......definitely need those in the bathrooms.

Drop zone by the entry door where you can keep your car keys, outgoing mail, and purse.

Make sure your kitchen is in close proximity to where you park your car.....nothing worse than hauling in tons of groceries across the house.

I agree that the washer should be located where the dirty laundry accumulates which is NEVER off the kitchen. You have to keep the doors open on front loaders all the time or they begin to smell horrible and that smell transfers into your clothes. Top loaders don't do this and are much cheaper to repair, and much cheaper to buy. I'll never own a front loader again.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

On the subject of a washer located on a floor above the basement--I just moved mine upstairs during my kitchen remodel. I don't remember where I read about it, but I had a Flood Stop device (or something similar) installed. It is a leak detector that detects leaks to prevent water damage from flooding and leaking washing machines. It will detect a leak, sound an alarm, and automatically turn off the water supply. They also make them for dishwashers, ice makers, etc., but I was mostly worried about the washing machine.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler