Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone_8grandma

Where do you keep your coupons?

zone_8grandma
17 years ago

I don't use coupons a whole lot, but I do use some (esp JoAnn's, Bed, Bath & beyond). If I put them in the misc drawer, I forget about them. If I leave them on the counter, they become magnets for clutter.

I'd like to hear where y"all keep yours handy, but not becoming clutter.

Comments (12)

• lowspark
    17 years ago

If you're talking JoAnn's, BB&B and the like, I keep them in a file folder in my car. That way if I decide to drop by a place on my way home from work, IOW on the spur of the moment, I always have my coupons with me.

As for grocery store coupons, I used to be an avid coupon clipper and had a plastic shoebox to keep them all in, categorized by type of item. Monthly I'd go through and pull coupons which were due to expire the next month and put them in the front of the box. And I'd select coupons from that box before every shopping trip. Oh boy!! That was in a different life! I hardly do any grocery store coupons anymore, mainly because it's so time consuming!

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

Like lowspark, I keep them in my car. I recently bought an expanding file so I could drop the coupons by category in their ''slots''. That way I can keep restaurant coupons, Bed, Bath, etc., and others in their respective places. (I put them with my keys/sunglasses and take them out to the car every time I go.) The file stays in the car's door pocket.

I also quit using grocery store coupons and don't bother with them anymore. It seems a lot of the things I buy are fresh items that don't have coupons anyway, so I don't feel like I'm missing much.

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

in the garbage

except for a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon, which travels in my backpack jus tin case.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Our thrift store gives coupons when you make a donation, so I keep those in the zippered part where I keep my credit cards. Our grocery store usually has a coupon for milk or eggs once a week and I clip that one and put in under the grocery list on the fridge. There's really nothing else I use. Our stores don't do double coupons and I only occasionally want something from JoAnn's or Michaels. No BBB here either, although I'm always reading about that store.

I do much more shopping online, so looking for discount codes is something I've recently remember to do.

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

I keep various store coupons in the "pocket" in the side of my car door. If I have a specific shopping trip planned, I put the coupon inside the calendar in my purse.

I also used to have a shoe box of coupons sorted by category, but DH took over the grocery shopping. He'll shop the sales but rarely uses coupons.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I have one of those expandable coupon size holders and put them in categories like frozen/mixes/spices etc. Remembering to take the holder with me is another thing. If I'm doing serious shopping I'll make sure. Some I'll keep in my pocket calendar in my purse just in case I see something while I'm shopping. Food coupons like Dinner or burger coupons I keep in the purse too.

• lisad71
    17 years ago

I keep my BB&B and LNT coupons in the door pocket of my car.

Grocery coupons are kept in a small coupon organizer that I picked up from Office Depot. Every Sunday, I clip coupons and file them in the appropriate pockets. At that time, I will check each pocket for anything that may have expired.

If I didn't stay on top of the coupon situation, it would get ugly pretty fast. LOL!

• kathyg_in_mi
    17 years ago

My future DIL says that they let her use the BBB coupons even when past the expiration date! Kathy G in MI

• marie26
    17 years ago

I save all my Linens & Things coupons and am always using my expired coupons at their store. The last time I did this, I had purchased many bedding items and the cashier could only put in 3 coupons at a time for each transaction. She was nice, though, and let me use all my coupons. It definitely made a difference in the price. I even purchased a Dyson at 20% off that they ordered for me and delivered straight to my door.

• lowspark
    17 years ago

BBB accepts expired coupons AND Linens & Things Coupons, and vice versa. BBB is more in tune to it though and their cashiers will stand there and help you figure out how to use the most coupons for the most savings. LnT cashiers always have to ask the manager for help (do we accept these?) although the answer is always Yes. Anyway, that's my experience. I get so many BBB coupons, I couldn't possibly use them all up unless I was completely furnishing my kitchen, bath & bedroom from scratch!

And here's an interesting point. I recently got a coupon from Lowe's, something like $10 off a $25 purchase maybe, and when I looked over the receipt, instead of just taking the $10 off the total, it was pro-rated so that each item had a discount associated with it. It all added up to $10 and I scratched my head over why they would do it that way till it occured to me that if I took back any of the items, they'd be able to refund me less than the full price. Guess it saves them from people using the $10 off $25 coupon, getting their $10, then returning $15 of the stuff they bought and walking away with $10 of free stuff.

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

I keep my BBB coupons stuck to the side of the fridge with a magnet.

But I like the idea of keeping them in the car -- makes more sense.

I don't really use other coupons -- we usually buy store brands.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

My LNT and BB&B coupons are kept in the car visor. In this area, BB&B allows five (5) coupons per order (expired or current), LNT allows three (3) coupons per order (expired or current). Since each store accepts competitor coupons, they also accept one another's expired coupons. As always, YMMV.

My grocery coupons are in a coupon binder. This allows them to be seen easily for that sale/purchase, organized and easy to pull after they expire. When they are expired, they are mailed to a friend in Chicago whose supermarket chains allow the use of expired coupons.

My restaurant coupons are tucked into the entertainment book so they are all in one place.