Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Library took the Magazines!

Posted by colorcrazy (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 16:13

I just went through a stack (9 months) of Economist magazines and cut out our address label. DH called the Library and they said they would take them. So I sent him right out the door. Now I know to do it more often. (Donate the magazines, I mean, not sending DH out the door!) The other magazines will go in recycling. It is great to free up that space!

Thank you to all of you who post ideas and inspirations. It is greatly appreciated (and needed).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Library took the Magazines!

My library will take donated books, but only hardbound. No paperbacks, no magazines and of course no newspapers. And I can't count the number of National Geographics I have seen at garage sales and in peoples' trash. Glad you found one way to donate mags.

o

Some nursing homes, medical centers and hospitals will accept magazines. Also some day care centers will accept them to use--cut out pictures, make projects etc.

o

We take our few subscription magazines to dr. office, hospital waiting rooms, etc. Our library takes them and they are available free. It's fun to rummage through and take a few I would never buy, but like to look at. Then, recycle through dr. office, etc.

Take it from me: when you are waiting for someone in 4 hours of surgery, it is a godsend to have access to mags and a TV :-) Thank you to our hospital's auxiliary.

o

I went to my library early one day, about 10 minutes before they opened. Saw 2 cardboard boxes full of books had been left on the steps. A janitor cane out and carried them to the dumpster. What a waste. And the "donor" probably thought their gesture was appreciated. Always ask first.

o

Our library accepts all books, paperback or hardbound. Twice a year our "Friends of the Library" group has a big sale. Most paperback books sell for 25cents and hardcover for $1-2. Lots of people donate books for the sale. The money goes to buy new books.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here